off road light's with high beams

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

new jeep owner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
would it be possible to wire up a set of off road light's to come on when I turn on my high beams?
I thought about wiring them up to a seperate switch, but I might forget to turn them off when I meet another vehicle.:pp:

I want to see as far ahead as I can, so I don't hit another dear.or anything for that matter:disgust:

TAHOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can do it several ways, but in most states it is illegal to run extra driving lights with brights. With that said.....if you can find the wire that feeds the brights, you can jump off of that wire and feed a relay so the lights will come on with the brights. That would limit them to only come on with brights though, but will also shut off when you go back to low beams. I personally would use a on-off-on switch so you can switch light on both manually by themselves or use the brights as the switch. I'm going to wire my extra backup lights so they will come on when I put truck in reverse or I can switch them on as separate lights when hitching trailers, etc. I'm also adding a LED indicator so I will know when the lights are getting power.

speedracerbubba

Full Access Member
Reaction score
X2
Mine are currently wired independent of the ignition switch but I'm going to redo it like tahoe suggests when I get the time and clean up the installation.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
would it be possible to wire up a set of off road light's to come on when I turn on my high beams?
I thought about wiring them up to a seperate switch, but I might forget to turn them off when I meet another vehicle.:pp:

I want to see as far ahead as I can, so I don't hit another dear.or anything for that matter:disgust:
Most good offroad lights come with instruction to do what you want as that way you can not use them unless the highbeams are already on to cutdown on using them in a city or town.

new jeep owner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Most good offroad lights come with instruction to do what you want as that way you can not use them unless the highbeams are already on to cutdown on using them in a city or town.
thanks that's exactly what I'm loooking for . just in case I forget to flip the auxillary switch when I meet another vehicle . any brand suggestions or wattage?

TAHOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score

I found it weird that the offroad lights I just installed stated to jump off the high beam circuit, guess it makes sense they shut off when high beams are off....even though it's illegal in most states to have aux lights on with high beams. I would still use a on-off-on switch so I had the options off turning on whenever I wanted. New jeep owner, if you use that type of switch and wire correctly, you can flip switch to the one of the "on" postion that works with brights, leave it there all the time and they would auto switch on/off with brights, but you would still have option to turn on even without brights...just my $.02 If you don;t want it that way, then you can just use high beam circuit to turn on/off a relay for hte lights, wouldn't even need aux switch anywhere in cab, your lights would act as switch.

new jeep owner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thanks for the reply's and the info .
I think I'm going to use the seperate switch after all like TAHOE suggested.
just gotta check out some lights now.