OEM vs Aftermarket hitch

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Life Liberty Happiness

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I hate to add another hitch post; but I've looked around at some posts but nothing really answered my questions, so I’ll try asking them directly. I can pick up an aftermarket Curt or Reese a bit cheaper than the OEM one, but was wondering if there were any advantages to one over the other? I know the OEM has a place for the wiring harness to go to, does the aftermarket? Does any of them provide more ground clearance, or stick out the back further? Do any of them offer more clearance for the full size spare or are they all pretty much the same except for the clearance they provide in my wallet?

BTW its a 2008 KK Sport.

Thanks!

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
On the KK I think the stock factory works and looks best, They tuck up well behind the bumper cover whereas the aftermarket tends to hang down more ( more of the cross tubes show )

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
OEM, just for cosmetic reasons...keeps the wiring harness neater too.

Life Liberty Happiness

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks everyone for the response. I think the OEM looks much better. Even the instructions make it look like it tucks in better.
I just left the only dealership in the area that had one with a new toy to put on tomorrow weather permitting and a set of slush mats. We are supposed to get some storm tonight/tomorrow/Wednesday. I wanted to get the hitch on before the storm so that I may have some type of recovery point if necessary.(not for me but for the other dummies on the road tomorrow) Still need to get a hold of a front tow hook, but all the stealerships don't stock them and say it could be a few days depending on weather. Maybe Ebay. . .

Cherrie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do KJ tow hooks for both sides. They will work and you do not have to remove bumber.

Life Liberty Happiness

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks, I was looking at them and looked around the forum. Looks like they'll fit, but just a little close to a power steering cooler or something. They are a little more money because you are getting a pair of them, but it gives another place to hook on to if needed. Anyone got a used set cheap??