Odd Vibration....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tricky78

Reaction score
Hi All,

I am coming to you for some help. My 2007 Lib has a vibration when in gear, mostly when accelerating, sometimes when off of the gas and slowing down(like for going around a corner). If I am driving down a road at 35mph, it will shake and vibrate as I am accelerating up to 35....but as soon as I push in the clutch the vibration goes away. Rolling at 35 mph I can leave it in N and rev the engine a bit and the engine sounds fine. No vibration.

I don't think it is relating to tire wear or balance. There is a slight slight rumble if I leave it in gear and coast.

Just recently replace the front drive shaft. The issue was there before and after.

Any ideas??

teeje

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When's the last time you rotated your tires, had them balanced, and alignment checked

2002 Jeep Liberty 3.7L with brand new engine ;)
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tricky78

Reaction score
The tires are pretty new. Got them 15000 miles ago, but put a lot on them recently. Should be good there. I rotate them every oil change.

teeje

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The tires are pretty new. Got them 15000 miles ago, but put a lot on them recently. Should be good there. I rotate them every oil change.

What about alignment

2002 Jeep Liberty 3.7L with brand new engine ;)

Tricky78

Reaction score
Yea. Alignment too. Got all of that w the new tires. Honestly the vibration is only there when I step on the gas. 85% of the vibration goes away when I take my foot off the gas. When I put it in neutral (I have a six speed) it almost entirely goes away.

If it was the tires or wheel bearings it would be there the whole time correct?

ltd02

Comfortably numb
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is it worse in 4wd? I'd check the CVs on both ends of the front driveshaft again. Did you replace the whole shaft? Why did you do that in the first place?

Last edited:

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
U joints is where I would start. Inexpensive and easy to replace, probably need to be done anyway. Definitely drive train related.

Tricky78

Reaction score
Is it worse in 4wd? I'd check the CVs on both ends of the front driveshaft again. Did you replace the whole shaft? Why did you do that in the first place?

It isn't worse in 4wd. I replaced the whole front driveshaft because the plastic boot cover was ripped and I had gotten dirt/water up in it. To be honest, when I got that replaced the vibrations went away for a few days.

Tricky78

Reaction score
U joints is where I would start. Inexpensive and easy to replace, probably need to be done anyway. Definitely drive train related.

Yea, from reading about what others have posted, sounds like they cause a vibration similar to mine when they go.

I crawled under the jeep last night and took a look at it. I can shake the driveshaft a little bit. There is a little play in it. That ok? I will try and get a pic of it today.

Oh btw I have about 115,000 miles on it.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Yea, from reading about what others have posted, sounds like they cause a vibration similar to mine when they go.

I crawled under the jeep last night and took a look at it. I can shake the driveshaft a little bit. There is a little play in it. That ok? I will try and get a pic of it today.

Oh btw I have about 115,000 miles on it.

Most of the time when u-joints go, they are rusted up, mine were rusted solid at 50,000 miles. NO movement at all from them, seemed tight. But taking them apart found they were all rusted up

Tricky78

Reaction score
Most of the time when u-joints go, they are rusted up, mine were rusted solid at 50,000 miles. NO movement at all from them, seemed tight. But taking them apart found they were all rusted up

Ahh. Fun fun. Well, they seem inexpensive. Monday I will replace them and see if that fixes it.

ltd02

Comfortably numb
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
It isn't worse in 4wd. I replaced the whole front driveshaft because the plastic boot cover was ripped and I had gotten dirt/water up in it. To be honest, when I got that replaced the vibrations went away for a few days.

You sure the new one was good or is still good? Those boots do fail, especially at the Tcase side. For future reference, you can just replace the ends:

Driveshaft & CV Joint Components

boboborino

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Next thing to check would be U-Joints on rear drive shaft.

Another vote here for U-Joint. When I had the vibration it came on quick and worsened rapidly. It also felt "OK" when I went under to give it a shake. In my case it ended up being a broken cap on the rear of the rear(at the diff). Not hard at all to change.Good luck.

Bert

Tricky78

Reaction score
Another vote here for U-Joint. When I had the vibration it came on quick and worsened rapidly. It also felt "OK" when I went under to give it a shake. In my case it ended up being a broken cap on the rear of the rear(at the diff). Not hard at all to change.Good luck.

Bert

Yea that sounds about right. Will let you guys know.

Thanks for all the advice/help! Nice to have a good community out there.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
I searched for two days trying to track my vibes down back then. Had grabbed the driveshaft and shook it but felt good and tight
After one trip came back rolled underneath and just happened to lay my hand on the rear u-joint, it was hotter than .............well it was extremely hot
Knew exactly then what it was :happy175:

CactusJacked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What you're describing is a lot how mine was acting with a bad intermediate shaft; the axle shaft that connects the passenger side inboard cv hub. See if your hub flops excessively when you push up and down on it, or if it looks like it's sitting at a downward angle compared to the axle housing.