O2 sensor and P0133 code

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

E.T.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was getting CEL, so I read the code and found P0133, which is the upstream O2 sensor on the driver's side. I was taking the Jeep in to get the AC worked on, so I bought a new sensor and told them to put it in while it was in the shop. I just looked under there, and sure enough, the new sensor is in, BUT it's installed after the cat. This is downstream, correct?

So, it looks to me that they put the darn sensor in the wrong location. Are these things interchangeable? If it is indeed in the wrong spot, will I be getting a CEL soon or would it have popped right away?

02blue

Comfortably numb
Reaction score
I actually thought the plugs were different for the upstream vs downstream. I'm not sure on this but what year do you have?

BTW my 02 has 4 different part numbers for the O2s. I just changed the 2/2 sensor a couple months ago. Hope you got the NTKs

Last edited:

E.T.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I actually thought the plugs were different for the upstream vs downstream. I'm not sure on this but what year do you have?

BTW my 02 has 4 different part numbers for the O2s. I just changed the 2/2 sensor a couple months ago. Hope you got the NTKs

It looks like there are different part numbers for up vs down. I got the Denso sensor. The idiots at the shop charged me 85 bucks to put the thing in, and I think it's in the wrong spot. I would've done it myself, but it looks like it's tough to reach and I'm sure it was pretty rusted.

02blue

Comfortably numb
Reaction score
True about reaching the upstreams. They are tough to get to. That 2/2 I changed was an easy one. As long as you didn't get the Bosch I think you'll be okay but I can't believe the connector fit. I think the Bosch are designed differently and respond slower so you'll get a frequent CEL. I'd wait it out and see.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Just for future reference the best 02 sensors choice would be NTK.
You can look up the correct parts (under parts finder) for you Liberty Here.
What year is ur KJ ?
Link: NTK Oxygen Sensors

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was getting CEL, so I read the code and found P0133, which is the upstream O2 sensor on the driver's side. I was taking the Jeep in to get the AC worked on, so I bought a new sensor and told them to put it in while it was in the shop. I just looked under there, and sure enough, the new sensor is in, BUT it's installed after the cat. This is downstream, correct?

So, it looks to me that they put the darn sensor in the wrong location. Are these things interchangeable? If it is indeed in the wrong spot, will I be getting a CEL soon or would it have popped right away?
The upstream and downstream O2's are not interchangeable,the plug ends are different.How they got a upstream O2 to connect to a downstream connector is beyond me unless you bought the wrong O2 sensor.

E.T.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just for future reference the best 02 sensors choice would be NTK.
You can look up the correct parts (under parts finder) for you Liberty Here.
What year is ur KJ ?
Link: NTK Oxygen Sensors

It's a 2003. I got the sensor from Rock Auto.

The upstream and downstream O2's are not interchangeable,the plug ends are different.How they got a upstream O2 to connect to a downstream connector is beyond me unless you bought the wrong O2 sensor.

I'll take a closer look tomorrow and try to post a pic. From what I can tell, it looked like it was plugged in securely.

This is the one I ordered. It said "left upstream."
More Information for DENSO 2344217

E.T.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On my 04 IIRC the plugs are the same for up/down stream.

Thanks. That might explain why it fits. I just looked under there, and it seems like it's definitely connected properly, so the plugs must match. I'd try to do the upstream one myself, but it looks like a real pain. Even reaching the sensor is very tight, but I can't even see where the wire runs off to plug it in.

Here's what my downstream one looks like:

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 27

02blue

Comfortably numb
Reaction score
Thanks. That might explain why it fits. I just looked under there, and it seems like it's definitely connected properly, so the plugs must match. I'd try to do the upstream one myself, but it looks like a real pain. Even reaching the sensor is very tight, but I can't even see where the wire runs off to plug it in.

Here's what my downstream one looks like:

On my 02 the plugs are on the side down along the block near the junction with the heads. May be easier to reach in blind from the top if you can get down there. I saw mine when swapping my HGs a while back.

Latest posts

Members online