NV242 and ATF+4

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

diyman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys!

Today, while trying to do a friend a favour ( he owns a 1999 XJ Cherokee 4.0L ) I 'somehow' downloaded a FSM (1997) for that rig. Looks like it's 'official'...

But, surprise surprise, when reading about fluid reccomendations, it ( the manual) talks about Dexron II or better for the NV242 transfer case.

Hey, that sounds familiar .... so while the hell is nowadays Chrysler forcing us to put the costly ATF+4 in ours !!?? Maybe 'cause it's ..cheaper???:mad:

Shall we believe that they changed materials thus making them incompatible to other fluids ??? I might take that for our 42RLE ******, but NOT for the transfer case!!

I understand I must spend an arm and a leg for original fluids, but here Dex II or III are a fraction of the price of ATF+4 ( which, ATF+4, is what I'll always be putting
in my ******!!).

If XJs are (were) fine with DexII, why couldn't be our KJs too? I know there already might be a thread about this issue, but, any idea? I'm confused. kopkrab.gif
I won't ever put crap in my KJ, but, should I realize that ATF+4 is overkill ( I repeat, it's about NV242, not ****** ) then I might well consider sparing
some money.

Fire at will!!!

osufans

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm guessing it's about only having to stock one fluid for many different applications. Power steering also uses ATF+4. I'm surprised the diffs don't take ATF+4 (j/k). :)

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys!

Today, while trying to do a friend a favour ( he owns a 1999 XJ Cherokee 4.0L ) I 'somehow' downloaded a FSM (1997) for that rig. Looks like it's 'official'...

But, surprise surprise, when reading about fluid reccomendations, it ( the manual) talks about Dexron II or better for the NV242 transfer case.

Hey, that sounds familiar .... so while the hell is nowadays Chrysler forcing us to put the costly ATF+4 in ours !!?? Maybe 'cause it's ..cheaper???:mad:

Shall we believe that they changed materials thus making them incompatible to other fluids ??? I might take that for our 42RLE ******, but NOT for the transfer case!!

I understand I must spend an arm and a leg for original fluids, but here Dex II or III are a fraction of the price of ATF+4 ( which, ATF+4, is what I'll always be putting
in my ******!!).

If XJs are (were) fine with DexII, why couldn't be our KJs too? I know there already might be a thread about this issue, but, any idea? I'm confused. kopkrab.gif
I won't ever put crap in my KJ, but, should I realize that ATF+4 is overkill ( I repeat, it's about NV242, not ****** ) then I might well consider sparing
some money.

Fire at will!!!
ATF+4 was not around in '97,ATF+4 has superceded ATF+3.If it calls for DEXII(can not get,only DEXIII) then use what it calls for.

Latest posts

Members online