not so good vibrations

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

XWrench3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so my Liberty has picked up an intermittent vibration in the front end, only over 65 mph. its on the highway, only, (the only place i go over 60) . i can feel it in the steering wheel. it does not matter if it in a straight line, or going around a long curve. it just comes and goes as it pleases. i've never had anything like this before. if it was a tire out of balance, it should stay vibrating. the front drive shaft was rebuild (by me) several months ago, and i did peek at it, the boot is still good, so i cant imagine that's bad again. its not slinging grease from either of the axles. has anyone had this happen to them?

XWrench3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, I finally got around to looking at the front end of my Liberty. That was the HARDEST diagnosis i have ever made. NOT! boy, if only all troubles were that easy to find. the inner cv joint is almost flopping around on its own sitting there in the driveway. so i looked at the service manual before posting. it looks like there is a needle bearing and seal in the end of the front differential "extension" (for lack of a better word),. seems like i have read that while your in there, its advisable to replace the extension "axle" as well, right? am i right? it also looks like i am going to need a special tool to remove the bearing from inside of the axle housing. any advise to doing this?

Johnny O

Just hangin' out.
Reaction score
Well, I finally got around to looking at the front end of my Liberty. That was the HARDEST diagnosis i have ever made. NOT! boy, if only all troubles were that easy to find. the inner cv joint is almost flopping around on its own sitting there in the driveway. so i looked at the service manual before posting. it looks like there is a needle bearing and seal in the end of the front differential "extension" (for lack of a better word),. seems like i have read that while your in there, its advisable to replace the extension "axle" as well, right? am i right? it also looks like i am going to need a special tool to remove the bearing from inside of the axle housing. any advise to doing this?
No special tools needed. Easy to rebuild. Kid you not I watched a five minute YouTube video, and was done an hour later. First Liberty repair I ever did.
Get you the service manual and parts fiche and it will save you time and headaches. I’d link it but am on mobile

Last edited:

XWrench3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so the only video i could find

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

was for a KK not a KJ. is the operation basically the same? if so, the "part" that wears out is the splines??? and there is nothing there to support them?

XWrench3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
please tell me there is a less expensive place (Mopar) to get the axle extension shaft. $238.00 for such a simple part seems ridiculous. and at this point, its the only place i can find one.

duderz7

Full Access Member
Reaction score

5066057AB insert this into your Google machine. Crown automotive makes a good one, don't cheap out too much, price isn't everything. Also expect this and cv axle to come out as one piece, just as it did in this video (which he hid). Great video is pretty good otherwise except. Any suspension bushings should be torqued with vehicle on ground under it's own weight. Last suggestion, after removing lower clevis, remove upper shock mount and get that whole thing out of your way. You'll thank me later.​

Not sure why this was bold...I'm not angry.

XWrench3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well, its a LOT less money! thanks! the only problem is its backordered almost every place. I'm still looking, maybe i will get lucky and find one sitting on a shelf someplace. so I have to ask, does the needle bearing go bad that supports both this and the drive shaft? my Liberty has close to 190,000 miles on it.

duderz7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Being yours is a 2005 I believe it's actually plastic just like mine. I've got the needle bearing and a seal on the shelf just waiting to go in. Not a bad idea with those miles, wish I would have done it when I replaced my shaft. Mine, with 160ish miles, seems to just have vertical play which makes me think my cv and shaft still good, but the plastic bearing has worn where the weight of the axle is.

XWrench3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
a plastic bearing cage? yep, I will replace it before it fails, sending needles throughout the front differential! i hope it will come out in one piece! does someone make an all metal bearing to replace it with?

duderz7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You misunderstood, not a plastic cage of needle bearings, a plastic bearing. More like a bushing really as nothing moves other than the axle.shaft sliding in it. But some years did get a needle bearing instead that fits. Googlize it, you'll see. But yes replace with needle bearing I think is a good call