Non Jeep Mini Van Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cowcatcher

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 80+ year old mom broke her leg last fall and will be in a wheel chair from here on. I am looking at a '91 Dodge mini van with a wheel chair mod that needs a little work and I need some advice.

The owner thinks the transmission needs repair or replacement but when I talked to her husband he described the problem like this. " I thought the ladies were crazy as I took it out and drove it and it ran fine. After a short while though it started to down shift and then the rear wheels started to drag."

Obviously the transmission is not the problem in my thoughts but rather the rear brakes, axles or bearings. It seems like this would be a smaller problem than the transmission but I have no Chrysler mini van experience. Any help out there would be appreciated.

-=JoN=-

Reaction score
yeah..probably...rear bearings....or maybe the e-brake is stuck

uncle used to have an 87...and he had a ****** problem, but..it felt like when it shifted, it jolted the whole thing...

anyway, i'll ask him later..and see what he thinks..or if he ever had that problem

2003KJ

Reaction score
I wouldn't rule the ****** out just yet, they were known for their problems, especially on the older mommy vans. Hell of an engine, but crappy ******.

Is this an All Wheel Drive model?

cowcatcher

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not an all wheel drive and I am aware of the ****** problem with these mini vans. If the rear wheels are dragging though that would make the ****** downshift under the load and lead the unsuspecting to belief in a bad ******.

Thanks so far.

sprsonic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
possible brake fluid leaking from wheel cylinders and under braking shoes trying to lock drums. giving feeling of trans problem???????????

jkmansell

Reaction score
Chrysler minivans did have trans problems and Chrysler replaced thousands before they found what was Actually wrong. The large electrical/Wiring connector on the front of the trans starts to corrode inside the connector. Once Chrysler found this out, their fix is to unscrew the connector retaining bolt, clean the connections and reinstall. Check this out.
Also is the brake fluid has become contaminated with ANY foreign substance (moisture,trans fluid, incompatiable brake fluid,etc), you could get fluid expansion when it heats up and cause brake drag and sometimes lock-up. If the fluid is very dirty, have a reputable shop "Flush" the brake system. It's little know fact that your brake fluid does need to be changed too.

cowcatcher

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That could be the issue, contaminated brake fluid system. I went through the maintenance records for the last year or so and there had been a master cylinder replacement. If they were not careful they could easily have contaminated it then. Thanks for the tip.

cowcatcher

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How does one clean the hydraulics in a brake system? It would seem like the only way would be to bleed a pint or so of fluid through each cylinder.

cowcatcher

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Drove it today and it is just the transmission. The owners husband didn't know what he was talking about when he commented on the brakes.

Takes a while to shift out of first when cold and won't go further. When it shifts back to first it stays there. Also it leaks and likely that is what lead to the failure. Already know the cost of replacement so it will be servicable and cost effective for our limited use.

Thanks for all the help!

Bonehead

Full Access Member
Reaction score
cowcatcher said:
How does one clean the hydraulics in a brake system? It would seem like the only way would be to bleed a pint or so of fluid through each cylinder.
Pretty much thats it, Start with the right rear and bleed it till clean fluid comes out then to the left rear,right front and finally the left front (biggrin) . You will go through a bunch of fluid so it would be good to have a big bottle or 2 if you do it.