noisy diesel

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

welshman

Reaction score
JUST BOUGHT A 2.8 CRD OVER IN THE UK .ARE ALL 2.8 CRD,S THIS NOISY ??? PREVIOUSLY OWNED A 2.5TDI DISCOVERY WHICH WAS MUCH QUIETER........

kjpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was going to quote someone who said "What do you like best about your diesel? Is it the vibration, the noise, or the smell?"

But I see you have previous diesel experience. I'd bet at least part of the difference is refinement. A Disco is an upscale market vehicle, & a KJ is not. We (or the vehicle's previous owner) get we pay for.

valvestem

Full Access Member
Reaction score
welshman said:
JUST BOUGHT A 2.8 CRD OVER IN THE UK .ARE ALL 2.8 CRD,S THIS NOISY ??? PREVIOUSLY OWNED A 2.5TDI DISCOVERY WHICH WAS MUCH QUIETER........

Have you ever tried to have a conversation standing outside a Dodge Ram diesel at idle? That's loud.

Jeger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I dont know how quiet the LR was, but the VM 2.8 does sound more like a traditional old style diesel, its not quite as refined as some.

And to answer your question Kjpilot...for me its a toss-up between the noise and the smell. Its a diesel thing...you wouldnt understand.

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
valvestem said:
welshman said:

Have you ever tried to have a conversation standing outside a Dodge Ram diesel at idle? That's loud.
Oh no.

The Ford PowerSuck is WAY louder than the Dodge.

I think the 2.8L is pretty quiet... I've had others tell me the same. People didn't even know it was a diesel. I had to tell them myself.

kjpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Jeger said:
And to answer your question Kjpilot...for me its a toss-up between the noise and the smell. Its a diesel thing...you wouldnt understand.
O:)

You're probably right!

grogiefrog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
valvestem said:
welshman said:

I test drove a CRD once, and I didn't think it was too loud. I only noticed it when it started cold, but it was quiet several minutes later. And yes, as said above, not like my father-in-law's diesel RAM.

ENBr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It really is very quiet when you get rolling at operating temp.
Startup when cold is very clattery: but I love the noise, the vibration, AND the smell.

Makes my day worthwhile :)

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
One thing I DO hate is the vibration... REALLY annoying. But winter is a short season, I think I can deal with it for a month or two.

rzrbrn48

Reaction score
I have had a number of diesel owners comment on how quiet the CRD is compared to their rigs, while fueling at the pump. Think of it like this...did you really like the taste of your very first beer... or your first shot of Whisky? Drive one for a while, most likely you will learn to enjoy both the sound AND the smell. Hmmm...I wonder...if I put D2 into a small cologne bottle...would it sell as aftershave? Jeez, I could become rich!

welshman

Reaction score
JEEZ I'M STARTING WONDER ABOUT YOU JEEP GUYS.......YOU LIKE THE SMELL OF DIESEL ???????????

KJ02Ltd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
welshman said:
JEEZ I'M STARTING WONDER ABOUT YOU JEEP GUYS.......YOU LIKE THE SMELL OF DIESEL ???????????

Heck, I'm not a diesel guy, but I'd take the smell of diesel anyday over the smell of gasoline!

ENBr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
welshman said:

I love the smell of Jeep :) (and diesel doesn't smell bad either)

And the rumble of the engine matches the rock music...