Noisy 3.7L

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
What it boils down too, Jeep is not known to have quiet engines, they are known for their offroad ability and their toughness.

Now go get in your liberty, go through a drive-thru so the sound bounces back, and smile that you have a Jeep that sounds as good as it does. :D

Jeep is tough, but not as reliable. Why? Toughness doesn't come with reliability? Honda, Toyota is not tough, but reliable. They go 200000 miles without a single ****** problem. Not just civics, same with larger body, more complicated ones. But they are not tough. So you want tough or reliable? can't get both? maybe not.. I am not sure. Maybe 80k vehicle? Jeeps were Tough and Reliable when they were JEEPs, back in the day. Not anymore.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Weve had bad luck with every Toyota, Ford and chevy product weve ever owned. My dad has had 4-5 fly wheels and one ****** put in his Ford truck along with a lower end on his old ******. Ponder on how much that would cost!

Weve had Jeeps since 1994 and weve never had a major problem out of any of them..

And If I climbed all the curbs in that corolla that I do in the Jeep, I bet the wheel bearings and balljoints wouldnt last a day! Ohh wait, the wheel bearings dont last in that corolla!

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
Jeep is tough, but not as reliable. Why? Toughness doesn't come with reliability? Honda, Toyota is not tough, but reliable. They go 200000 miles without a single ****** problem. Not just civics, same with larger body, more complicated ones. But they are not tough. So you want tough or reliable? can't get both? maybe not.. I am not sure. Maybe 80k vehicle? Jeeps were Tough and Reliable when they were JEEPs, back in the day. Not anymore.
Um, no.

Have you not heard of Honda's transmission problems... and Toyota's engine problems? The japanese cars are NOT immune to problems, sorry to tell ya.

I will never forget the day when I was at the dealership one day while my mom was getting a tune-up. It was a Honda/Nissan/Kia/Buick dealership... this woman went nuts because her Odyssey's transmission blew up.... AGAIN. That's right, 2nd transmission.

I won't even start with the one that died on me at work (Odyssey). Luckily the owner was right there when it happened so they couldn't say that I killed it. All I did was shift in reverse, then in drive... CLUNK, and that was the end of it.

My aunt's Lexus has an issue with sludge in her engine. It broke down on the way to the 2005 family reunion... I almost had to go pick her up on I-75 with my Jeep. But luckily she was able to drive up here... of course not without a crapload of check engine light and oil lights and smoke coming out of the exhaust. None of these vehicles I mentioned had anywhere close to 100k miles. The first one's electrics never worked very well. Good luck seeing the instrument panel at night, the lights are too dim.

I am not making *any* of this up.

DougBenn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok, so my original quest was to see if others thought they had valve train noise in excess here. Not so much to be like all of the "other" Jeep boards out there. What I have always liked about this board is most everyones ability to discuss things without flaming the guy who had a differing opinion. Hmmm guess things are a changin.

If someone doesn't want to buy another Jeep because he thinks it rides too rough or is too noisy, so be it, you have your opinions and purchase what YOU want based on your past experiences and preferences as well.

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Marlon, I am not sure if they maintained their vehicles well. I am just comparing what I have been doing on my jeep to what they might have not done. I don't off road or ride too rough, I changed my oil every 3-4k, I took it in for all the damn costly maintenance, changed all the shit all the time in timely manner according to the manual. I don't think imports will cause this many problems we are facing with our well maintained jeeps.

Doug, yes. Jeeps are not for everyone. We just have to accept that. If someone complains they wanna get rid of their jeep because it is noisy, well we can just make all the fun we want, but at the end, if they need a quieter vehicle and accept to sacrifice the rugged and extremely capable vehicle for a much more comfortable, quieter, easier to handle vehicle, that's their preference. Not everyone needs off-road capability to put up with the noisy jeep. If you are a ******** off-roader, modifier with 3" lift and all the junk you put in there, and still complained about "jeep is noisy" then you would get some bashing going on, but as I said, I totally agree with you.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Weve taken good care of that corolla since we got it at 40k and it burns around 1-1.5 quarts of oil between the 5k oil changes. I just put 1/2 a quart in it the other day. :(

Ohh, and its not a diesel so thats not normal. :D

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
So why don't you dump it? :)

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
Marlon, I am not sure if they maintained their vehicles well.

Continue to read about the Transmission/Engine failures. You will see that these things happen to the most careful owners. I know for a fact that my aunt for example maintains her cars by the book. I've been to the dealer with her waiting on stuff to get done.

Meanwhile her sister drives a 2002 Dodge Stratus that has *never* seen a dealership's service department for a problem. My sister's has once.. blowing a fog lamp fuse. Turned out to just be a blown bulb!

My entire point is that no vehicle is perfect. I'm not saying that they're ALL pieces of crap, but there is no guarantee that your transmission or engine will last you 200,000 miles. Maintenance or no maintenance, H & T have major issues too.

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Back to noise, then. Why didn't jeep isolate the cabin well enough? Noise and Air insulation is joke in jeeps. They just check, no water, ok good. Otherwise it is drifty and noisy. :D As soon as you turn off heat it gets cold in KJ. Also they could have put a few extra sheets of whatever on firewall to keep noise and cold out.

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
The question has been answered earlier in this topic. :p

It's a Jeep! And it's (relatively) cheap. You want quiet, go buy a Mercedes.

At least I'm sure that's what they were thinking at the time. We'll see what happens now that they've split.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So why don't you dump it? :)

B/c it has saved us tons of money.. And its the parents car, not mine.

We change the oil and put tires on it. It doesnt really have any other maintenance. No diffs, no tcase, changed the ****** fluid once since it doesnt two or anything.. But we have put a starter,exhaust header gasket, and wheel bearings in it. It gets decent mpg and we dont care if it gets hit in a parking lot or rear ended.

Hyedipin, the liberty has as decent amount of insulation. Find someone you know with a ZJ or XJ and ride around with them for a few min. You will then realize just how quiet the liberty really is.

Funny story about that corolla. My mom was going to work and she had stopped since a firetruck was pulling out of its station. A brand new White Monte Carlo doesnt see that she was letting a Firetruck out(they were watching the firetruck pull out :rolleyes:) and hit her right in the rear. The speed limit is 35mph in that part of town so they could of been going anywhere from 30-40mph. It put a dent in the license plate on the corolla but the front bumper fell off the Monte Carlo and the air bags popped out. Its possible that it was totaled given the amount of front end damage it had. :D

Mom was alittle sore but she was ok, and I checked under the bumper for any structural damage. Couldnt tell that anything had happened. :)

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
marlon, you think benz is quiet? Think again. It is not. I drove first and second gen ML350, they are just quieter, not quiet.
However, drive bmw 5 class, honestly you cannot tell how fast you are going or going high on rpm unless you look at the dash display. I had no idea we were doing 80. Incredible machines.

Blake, corrolla is probably much cheaper then jeep to maintain? I am asking, because I remember about 8-10 yrs ago it was so expensive to get parts of the import vehicles, because they were in fact IMPORTED, unlike now, many parts of those vehicles are made in the US or Mexico, even if not, parts are because they are so popular.

Small bump?
toyota at 5mph http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UHLdbeuse8A
volvo at 10mph http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-gX2_-5GMIM ouch

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
Quiet, no, but quieter than the Jeep, by far.

(Yes, I just drove one last night, of course I can't get it up to highway speed, but certainly quieter than our Libertys at 45MPH.)

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
To be honest, I am not that hung up on ML series. I used to be, but after seeing how it just lets things lose after a few years, not a big fan. When I drove the VW yesterday, I felt fear.. Fear for the way I drive. Since that thing sprints pretty good, I was zipping through lanes and passing people. I thing KJ holding me back on those conditions, kinda good.. I can't go fast that much. If I go buy a 3 series, I need to put a limiter on it.

Jon, VW did not have RPM limiter... I got it up to like 6k in neutral

BlueJeep07

Reaction score
I really appreciate having an a-hole answer my replies with useless insults. Some of you guys take it personally when someone does not love your jeep. It's just a vehicle. Get over it.
About the only thing that has been talked about in this thread that has been worthwhile has been the fact that the KJ is noisy and it is noisy because the factory wanted it that way. How to fix that issue is what you guys might want to talk about.
For example, is one model of KJ quieter than others? If so, then why? Also, are there quieter bushings that might not transfer so much noise and vibration from the drivetrain? Are there any certain places where we might place sound deadening materials so as to keep noise down?
It would be nice to have a constructive thread instead of a thread with comparisons of how loud other cars are. It does'nt matter how loud other cars are. Try to remember that the topic is the KJ, not every other thing on the road.

DougBenn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I really appreciate having an a-hole answer my replies with useless insults. Some of you guys take it personally when someone does not love your jeep. It's just a vehicle. Get over it.
About the only thing that has been talked about in this thread that has been worthwhile has been the fact that the KJ is noisy and it is noisy because the factory wanted it that way. How to fix that issue is what you guys might want to talk about.
For example, is one model of KJ quieter than others? If so, then why? Also, are there quieter bushings that might not transfer so much noise and vibration from the drivetrain? Are there any certain places where we might place sound deadening materials so as to keep noise down?
It would be nice to have a constructive thread instead of a thread with comparisons of how loud other cars are. It does'nt matter how loud other cars are. Try to remember that the topic is the KJ, not every other thing on the road.

X2 I'm done., this forum tends to wander a lot these days.

Last edited:

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How to fix that issue is what you guys might want to talk about.

Im pretty sure all KJ's have the same amount of sound insulation. You could add some of that 'dynomat' to help make it alittle quieter. Floor pans and doors are about the only place you can put it.

What part of Kentucky are you from? I need to take you offroad so you will appreciate that Jeep alittle more. :)