No overdrive?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

libordemise

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Could fuel flow problems cause the kj to not engage od on incline? At around 3000 rpm, long after it used to kick in, I just got a sound and strange jerk suddenly.

Sent from my LG-K210 using Tapatalk

JasonJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Fuel flow rate, as far as I recall, doesn't play into whether OD is engaged or not. More so, it is engine load, TPS position, spark advance and vehicle speed that are mostly determining whether to engage 4th gear or not. Plus then there is the matter of torque convertor lock up and under what conditions that occurs...

If you had insufficient fuel flow, you'd notice an immediate loss of power, like you were towing something too heavy and being weighed down... perhaps misfiring and the engine would struggle to increase in rpm. I've had lots of fuel pumps fail on me in my past -- that's what happens when you routinely run your fuel tank dry - fuel pumps burn out.

libordemise

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Fuel flow rate, as far as I recall, doesn't play into whether OD is engaged or not. More so, it is engine load, TPS position, spark advance and vehicle speed that are mostly determining whether to engage 4th gear or not. Plus then there is the matter of torque convertor lock up and under what conditions that occurs...

If you had insufficient fuel flow, you'd notice an immediate loss of power, like you were towing something too heavy and being weighed down... perhaps misfiring and the engine would struggle to increase in rpm. I've had lots of fuel pumps fail on me in my past -- that's what happens when you routinely run your fuel tank dry - fuel pumps burn out.
I'm gonna finally do this stupid fuel filter and oil and see if there's any change, today climbing the steel hill home it felt like something was holding the kj back from how it usually overdrives

I don't really like to go full tilt uphill but sometimes I let it go for a few yards

Sent from my LG-K210 using Tapatalk