No crank condition

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

eddiekimberly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi all. I am having some kind of issue that I need some serious help with. I just replaced the passenger side head. Made certain the V6 mark on the camshaft was at 12 o'clock. BUT now that I think about it, I forgot to check the crankshaft timing mark so that may be why I am not cranking. But everything turns freely. Does this sound about right? I made sure the cam mark was at 12 o'clock before disassembly and during assembly, but the crank mark could have been in the opposite position (pointing directly away from the timing mark) and not crank, right? TIA.

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi all. I am having some kind of issue that I need some serious help with. I just replaced the passenger side head. Made certain the V6 mark on the camshaft was at 12 o'clock. BUT now that I think about it, I forgot to check the crankshaft timing mark so that may be why I am not cranking. But everything turns freely. Does this sound about right? I made sure the cam mark was at 12 o'clock before disassembly and during assembly, but the crank mark could have been in the opposite position (pointing directly away from the timing mark) and not crank, right? TIA.

There are actually five marks to line up - the crank, each camshaft and each timing chain. Then the chains need to be in the proper spot to ensure that the crank and each cam are all timed to each other. I'm making an assumption that the timing chains haven't slipped off the teeth on the crankshaft timing gear. (If they have you'll need to pull the timing cover off to reset those - a job best done with the engine out of the Jeep.)

Pull the driver's side valve cover and rotate the crank till the V6 mark is at 12 o'clock and the mark on the timing chain (will be red or pink) is lined up with the outer dot on the cam sprocket (at 2 o'clock.) It may take several turns to get the cam at 12 and the timing chain and crank mark to all line up. Then take a look at the passenger side cam. The red or pink timing chain mark should be at 10 o'clock lined up with the outer dot while the V6 cam sprocket mark is at 12 o'clock. Once all three are lined up that way then the engine should be in time.

Hope this helps :waytogo:

Bob

eddiekimberly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There are actually five marks to line up - the crank, each camshaft and each timing chain. Then the chains need to be in the proper spot to ensure that the crank and each cam are all timed to each other. I'm making an assumption that the timing chains haven't slipped off the teeth on the crankshaft timing gear. (If they have you'll need to pull the timing cover off to reset those - a job best done with the engine out of the Jeep.)

Pull the driver's side valve cover and rotate the crank till the V6 mark is at 12 o'clock and the mark on the timing chain (will be red or pink) is lined up with the outer dot on the cam sprocket (at 2 o'clock.) It may take several turns to get the cam at 12 and the timing chain and crank mark to all line up. Then take a look at the passenger side cam. The red or pink timing chain mark should be at 10 o'clock lined up with the outer dot while the V6 cam sprocket mark is at 12 o'clock. Once all three are lined up that way then the engine should be in time.

Hope this helps :waytogo:

Bob

Sounds like I have some fun in store for me today...

eddiekimberly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Timing was right but it works better if the camshaft position sensor is plugged in. However it is running like a 3-legged dog. May have a vacuum line unplugged. I KNOW the O2 sensor needs plugging back in, but don't think that is it.
Got the O2 squared away and its got a code for the TPS. The connector doesn't fit real tight because the clip broke. I can get another one from my pick-n-pull.

Last edited: