Newbie with some questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
Well I guess you could look at it this way.... the 45RFE transmission was originally a Jeep transmission. ;) Started in '98 with the 1999 Grand Cherokee. :)

Powerslave

Banned
Reaction score
All depends what YOU want in a Jeep. I have an '06 and have:

ABS (Of course)
Braking Assist
Electronic Speed Control
Skid Control
Roll Over Warning System

However, I went on a trip, and LOADED it up with weight, along with us four people. The BAS kept engaging causing the thing to shudder and buck while driving, all on it's own, and I had no loss of traction, nothing. I had to turn it off, then it would ERROR out. Got home, took everything out, it's FINE; temperamental....

Too much stuff to go wrong with all the electronic doo-dads... Seriously though, If it's an off-road, trail type JEEP you want, then just get a wrangler or something, not a Semi-Luxury jeep like these can be.. Get a JEEP jeep, not a Compact SUV. I am happy with it because of how cheap I got it, and wanted a 4x4, FINALLY, for PA winters, and some of our famous floods... I plan on getting another sporty Vehicle (Dodge EV?), I just was tired of the 2000 Dodge "Sled" ES I drove in the winter.

I would like to to get a Prowler or EARLY viper (95-97), which is doable in a few years... The EV? Looks cool, but can imagine the price for the 150 miles per charge vehicle. They keep showing it, and hope to hit production in 2010. Yeah, where's the the new Demon, or Slingshot, those were cool too...

Deviations

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Common Issues:

All Model years - body seam (behind the rear flipper glass) is prone to rusting. Inspect the area with the rear glass open and you will see where the upper half of the body meets the lower. At that seam - there are rusting KJ's.

My 2004 has a little of this & I didn't notice it before I bought it. I still would have made the deal, but I hate finding things after a purchase.

My light bar doesn't whistle. I also don't have the light covers and still have to check the laws in my state to see if I'm in imminent danger of a ticket. I plan on finding some anyhow, because this will be used out of my state as well.

punkguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks Tahoe.
Well I found a '05 Limited, 4x4, leather, sunroof, power everything, navigation system built in the radio, 79k on it for 7,500. Only down fall is theres no tow package. You guys know of any good websites I can buy one from? I'll do some hunting here myself, just figured you guys had sites you went to all the time.

punkguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well Powersaver mine will be used mainly on the roads and pulling the boat around. I do some hunting so it will be taken on some wooded trails but I dont plan on doing any ********* mudding or rock climbing with it.

kb0nly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks Tahoe.
Well I found a '05 Limited, 4x4, leather, sunroof, power everything, navigation system built in the radio, 79k on it for 7,500. Only down fall is theres no tow package. You guys know of any good websites I can buy one from? I'll do some hunting here myself, just figured you guys had sites you went to all the time.

eTrailer.com, free shipping over $150!!

The Class III hitch for the KJ, Curt brand, runs about $154 so you get free shipping, and the Hopkins 42475 trailer harness runs about $45, that was the last time i checked. I got those and now a Rola roof basket from them, good company to deal with, fast and courteous.

It's a fairly easy install, me and another member both recently installed hitches and posted about our experience with a few others chiming in with the same experience. The only hard part is cleaning out the bolt holes and prepping them if you don't have the gas tank skid. If you can find a tap to run through the holes its easy, i had to use a plumber brush and oil to clean them out. Then there is the hard to access bolt over the exhaust, front passenger side bolt, but you just have to support with a jackstand and remove the rear passenger tire for access and then its do-able with a little cussing!

The Hopkins 42475 is a plug and play harness, pull up the trim across the rear door so you can pull out the right rear corner, unplug the rear end harness and plug the trailer adapter inline, install a self tapping screw for the ground wire on it and cut a slit in the factory trailer harness grommet in the floor to push down your wiring. It's a powered converter and doesn't need a seperate wire run to the battery, pulls power off the rear accessory outlet circuit in that plug. Then just push everything back together and your done.

Sounds like a good buy!

Last edited:

punkguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks Kbonly, I was gonna do a search on here for the wiring install but you just saved me some time :) Much appreciated. I will look into that website as well, sounds like a pretty descent deal to me!

punkguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nevermind it does have a tow package. Well thats the best deal I have found so I guess Im making a 2 hour drive to go check it out this weekend! Thanks for all your help again guys.