Newbie says Hi

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Baldyshane

Reaction score
Hi all,
I am looking at a 2003 2.5 CRD Cherokee and decided to join up here and see what they are like.
Am I right in saying there doesn't seem to be any specific problems, just irritating small stuff, and some really big stuff if routine maintenance is not carried out.
Just comparing issues with landrover s etc and they seem to have a whole lot more problems.

Anything I should look out for????
Cheers,
Shane

Billwill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi all,
I am looking at a 2003 2.5 CRD Cherokee and decided to join up here and see what they are like.
Am I right in saying there doesn't seem to be any specific problems, just irritating small stuff, and some really big stuff if routine maintenance is not carried out.
Just comparing issues with landrover s etc and they seem to have a whole lot more problems.

Anything I should look out for????
Cheers,
Shane

I have the 2002 Export CRD 2.5.manual. The 2003 came out with disk brakes at the rear and ABS if you are lucky.

Check what transfer case this one has...the better is a "Select Track' which has the ability to run in 4X4 permenantly as there is a differential between front and rear axles...the "Command Track" that I have can only be driven in 4X4 in very slippery conditions and only at low speed as there is no diff between front and rear axles.....my KJ spends 99% of its time on the open highway so I am normally in two-wheel drive in any case.

Check what rear diff this 20003 model has....some come with a form of LSD called "Trac Loc" which is what I have.....this has a bit of a bad reputation but if maintained properly ie. replace rear diff oil in time and add the required Mopar friction modifier then there is no issue with them....there should be a label on the rear axle drivers side stating what diff you have.

The early Export 2.5/2.8 CRDs have a good reputation....the fixed-vane turbo may not put out as much power as the later variable-vane turbos but they are simpler and pretty reliable. The cam-belt is critical and needs to be replaced about every 100,000 miles depending on how you drive...if this 2003 has not had its cam-belt recently changed then walk away from the deal.

Check for rust if your roads get salted in winter otherwise I would say it is a good vehicle...I am very happy with mine!:gr_grin:

The Big Boulonnais

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Let me tell you Shane,

Not only Billwill knows his stuff about Jeep KJs but he also knows about engineering in general and electric in particular !! This man is a Gold mine of knowledge.

He helped me thousands of miles away via this forum to cure an extremely annoying electrical problem I had with my Jeep a couple of months ago.

By the way I live in UK and I have the 2.8 CRD year 2006 and apart from the odd silly problem like I experienced in the summer it's very reliable and I can't complain.
I love my Jeep and if you look after it, it will give you back 1000th time the efforts and money you spent on it.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Welcome!!!

As the owner of a Discovery 3 and the KJ, I can easily say the KJ has been quite a bit easier and less expensive (except for MPG) than the LR3!

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome.

Dave

Latest posts

Members online