Newbie question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TOMRan

Reaction score
I'm sorry, I can't find the right place for this. I just need your help, guys!
I consider buying 2010 Jeep Cherokee. Sure, first I ran a Carfax report. There were several flags showed up, though, the seller assured me the car had never been in any accidents. Is it the seller, who tries to do me in, or the Carfax, providing false records?

JOHN_J

Reaction score
I'm sorry, I can't find the right place for this. I just need your help, guys!
I consider buying 2010 Jeep Cherokee. Sure, first I ran a Carfax report. There were several flags showed up, though, the seller assured me the car had never been in any accidents. Is it the seller, who tries to do me in, or the Carfax, providing false records?

I'm a new member here will try to advise. I've recently bought a Liberty from a private seller too and made several checks from different sources so that be 100% sure! perhaps if I dealt with a dealership I'd not be so suspicious
(libpatblue)
Check databases specialized exactly in Jeep this one
or just use common services for all car vin lookup: try out this or this
hope that was useful

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
My experience with carfax when I bought my KJ new was I tried to check the carfax (just because ....) and they told me there was 2 "incidents"......wtf, I just bought it new. So come to find out that carfax counted "vehicle sold by dealer" and "vehicle registered with motor vehicles" as 2 "incidents" and wanted you to pay for the carfax to find out what it was. You had to actually get the carfax to see this and see that it was not 2 accidents or something. That was in 2005 so maybe they corrected this descrepency with future carfaxes??

Also, carfax only can have a record of reported incidents so if someone smacked up a vehicle and then fixed it and it was not reported to anyone (police,, etc) then there might not be a record of it.

Dave

turblediesel

memberable
Reaction score
I bought my KJ new and looked it up on Carfax years later for fun. Turns out it had been sold and brought back several days later with some sort of loud engine noise caused by a leaking seal. Probably why all the power steering fluid leaked out several days after I bought it... new.

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes often times you'll find signs that a car was in an accident that carfax didn't report. For example, my KJ has never had rivets in the front fender wells. Just empty holes. Meaning they were off at some point prior to my purchasing it. Took me a couple of years to actually notice.

But if carfax DOES report something, then it did happen.

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
I don't trust Carfax.

I had a 2008 Grand Cherokee in the past, you guys know that. When I tried trading it in on my '10 Liberty, they ran a Carfax, and reported me as the 2nd owner.

Hold on, excuse me? I had that Jeep since it had 12 miles on it. First and only owner. Killed my trade in value.

Thanks Carfax.