Newbie here!! I need help!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dl007

Reaction score
Hello, i am new to the site. I am looking into buying a jeep liberty as my next daily driver. i have tried to do as much research as i can, but i figured this would be the best place to come.

I have a few liberty's in mind but im not sure what ones are the best deal, can someone give me there advice on what i should do?

I do really enjoy off-roading, so i will be doing mods to the truck :)

here are the links :)

http://ottawa.kijiji.ca/c-ViewAd?Ad...BAAAAAgAAAAGzHSkADjNd7b2akK81Sr2+4yQz0Ic7moA*

http://www.autotrader.ca/a/Jeep/Lib..._11761649_ON20081105100148843/?ms=trucks_vans

http://ottawa.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-cars-trucks-Jeep-Liberty-RENEGADE-W0QQAdIdZ305418706

Lunch-box

Full Access Member
Reaction score
tough choice!

Being Ontario rigs... check for rust!

Also the standard things, kms, servicing, year, condition... but you know all that... As far a year specific things I am a newb also... Your right this is the place to ask.

dl007

Reaction score
Agreed!! if its still available i will be looking at it the silver one tuesday.

04Liberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Check to see if the ball joint recall has been performed. A decent vehicle will only last as long as well as it is maintained. I made fun of it until I got to spend timein one. The only real complaint I have about our Liberty is the A/C system, it ***** at low RPM, especially compared to my Ram.

dl007

Reaction score
How do i go about seeing if the recall has been done? Take the vin and run it to the dealer?

Marlon_JB2, may i ask? why the blue one?

Thanks for the advice!

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
There are numerous different choices as far as models go.
Renegade package is nice as so are the LTD limited. Leather seats are often more comfy.
I bought an 04 Rocky Mountain Edition at 54,000 km which was nice, as it came with the full skid plates, so that is something to look for, including gas tank skid. I had to add the transmission skid.
There was two types of 4wd transfer cases. Command Trac (part time for use on slippery only surfaces) and Selec-Trac which had full time 4 wheel drive.
Mine does not have the ABS but has discs all the way around which I think is preferred.
ALso I am glad mine did not come with traction control (limits power when u need it) and also TPS (tire pressure monitor) is just more un needed sensor crap at $80 per sensor?

Last edited:

dl007

Reaction score
Ok i will look into those features. My price range is around 9k. I am just looking to see whats available around my area and i guess ill make a decision from there. when i go look at them i will take pleny of pics and post them here for everyone to see.. I just want to make the "right" decision on what liberty i buy.

Slava

Full Access Member
Reaction score
9K is a transition sum, IMO. For 11K (+ HST) you could buy 2007 with 65-70 Kkms. I took mine for 15K with 32000 km on it. I like it very much and it is my daily commuting vehicle, each day I'm doing 100 km. Good luck in your KJ-hunt :)!

dl007

Reaction score
unfortunately i cant afford much more than 10k tax in. So i am looking at these trucks not anything newer, there are a few around here that are newer but there asking 14-15. Based on the ones i linked.. what would you consider?

speedracerbubba

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How do i go about seeing if the recall has been done? Take the vin and run it to the dealer?

Marlon_JB2, may i ask? why the blue one?

Thanks for the advice!

Not sure on the recall information but my bet is Marlon said blue because he likes blue libertys :smokin:

With the renegade you will 95% likely have to replace the HID bulbs back to factory (cheap and easy). Aesthetically it looks fine but it hard to see how much tread the front tires have.

The blue one ('04) looks good and has the gas tank skid so maybe it has the rest? If you can see it in person check everywhere for rust. I am not more knowledgeable to say more about that.

The silver one ('03) looks like it has the desirable transfer case for slick surfaces. Other than that I have no idea.

BjBnet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
SO I take it you're in my neck of the woods. I'm in Orleans.
Whichever one you decide, take it out for a test drive first. Check the AC compressor bearing for signs rust (kinda like like a powdered rust) usually a sign it's gonna go. Plus everything that was mentioned above. Good luck

EDIT oh and make sure all the windows work properly!

Last edited:

BjBnet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I looked at the pics and that blue one has an excellent pic of what I mean by that powdery rust around the ac pulley.....

Lunch-box

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dude, write it out.... pro and cons of each vehicle.
Prices, Kms, condition, service records, options, year, ect ect.... then you can answer your own question.

We can only tell you what we think as there isnt one person here qualified to decide for you.

~Geoff

Lunch-box

Full Access Member
Reaction score
SO I take it you're in my neck of the woods. I'm in Orleans.
Whichever one you decide, take it out for a test drive first. Check the AC compressor bearing for signs rust (kinda like like a powdered rust) usually a sign it's gonna go. Plus everything that was mentioned above. Good luck

EDIT oh and make sure all the windows work properly!

No to hijack here, but my compressor is making a crappy noise when engaged like a bearing failing. Can the bearings be replaced? What am I up against?