Newbie from NC.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Cafe Red

Reaction score
Hey, gang. Just joined today. Name is Pete Wickes aka Cafe Red. My wife and I drive an 05 Liberty. We love it. Used as our all rounder. Coming up on 80,000 and and it's reliable as stone. Do have an issue though. About four weeks ago, during an ice storm, put it in 4wd for the first time. Put into 4wd low. Drove a little. Put into 4wd high. Drove al ittle more. When I got home put it back into 2wd and the Part Time light is still on. Not even sure if its out of 4wd.

1.How do I tell if its out of 4wd?
2. Could I have screwed up something?
3. How do I fix this without the wife killing me?

Driving to NYC in June and need to get this taken care of.
HELP!!
Thanks to all.

Luke

Interloper
Reaction score
Welcome Pete. Turn the wheel almost to full lock (as if you were making a sharp turn) then slowly drive forward .. if there is ANY resistance at all you are in 4WD. After testing be sure to never do that again. :D I will let someone who has experienced the phantom light cover the rest.

Edit: You will get used to the difference in feeling very quickly, if you are aggressive with the throttle in 2WD for instance it's not difficult to get the back end sliding all over, if your in 4HI you will go straight forward easily ... almost tank like. :D

Last edited: