NEWBIE CRD OWNER!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cowcatcher

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK so just why would someone go out and buy a diesel SUV with fuel prices so high? Stupid I guess, but I test drove one and fell in like! I rented a 2004 gas Sport a couple of weeks ago and drove about 900 miles and enjoyed it too but it didn't seem to have as much power and had trouble finding the window controls.

I actually don't have it yet but should get it on Tuesday or so. It took a while to find the color I wanted to drive for a very long time to come. Ended up buying more than I thought I would but there were only three in the Pacific NW to choose from. One was under equipped, the other was too far away and I wasn't sure the old Taurus would make it until the new shipments arrived.

My pick is a Light Khaki Limited with the "G" package, tow Kit, sun roof and heated seats. The dealerships are really hungry right now and the new incentive package is excellent if you haven't seen it. It includes a $2,367 debit card, 2 years free scheduled maintenance and 2 additional years of warranty.

The car is about 300 miles away and over the mountains so I cut a deal with the dealer to drive a new Rubicon or Commander over to trade the other dealer for mine. Saved me $400 and I can get business done along the way. Who knows, that exposure to another Jeep product could even net my dealer another sale down the road if the experience is good.

Thanks for letting a newbie crow. I will let you know how happy I really am after I have sat in it for a few hundred miles. And hey, it looks like some of those will be through the snow. Yipee!

grogiefrog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Congratulations on the CRD and good choice! Be sure to post pics! It should be a lot of fun in your part of the US.

I test drove a CRD last Spring and I really liked it. I almost bought one instead of my recent TJ, but I work at home, so MPG wasn't an issue, so I went with the TJ instead.

Enjoy! =D>

VTNomad

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Windows

I've had my Jeep for a year and a half and still have trouble finding the window controls, my only complaint so far. Passengers have a worse time than I do finding them.

Derek Mc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nice one.
I have owned our CRD Ltd for 850 miles and about one month and am loving it. I hope you have many happy miles in her and I look forward to piccies at some point.

Pnorton

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Welcome!
When you get it, take it off road!!! You'll love the way it crawls.

cowcatcher

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I GOT IT!!!!!

I left town this morning in a light snow driving a new Rubicon on a 300 mile trip to pick up the Liberty. Absolutely terrible roads with visibility down to perhaps 1/8 of a mile at some points on the way over. The Rubicon was fun but it had me on edge every foot of the way. Kept thinking the ends were going to trade places on me. I made it ok though and then headed back in the Liberty after filling her up with fuel.

I had planned on doing a few hours business on the West side while I was there but the snow kept getting worse and they finally closed the pass. I hunkered down for lunch and read my manual for about an hour then checked and found that it had reopened to chains or all wheel drive. Select Trac here I come!!!!

It took about an hour and a half to drive the next 30 miles and much of the time it was a multi-lane parking lot. About 10 miles from the summit the reason for the slow down was apparent as the State Patrol was inspecting every car and truck to make sure they were properly equipped. Once past that hurdle I was off and not in the worn and packed right lane but far out on the left and just skimming past all of the slow traffic. At the summit I pulled off for a much needed liquid draw down but no one had taken time to clean the packing lot into the rest stop so I just plowed right through about a foot of powder like it wasn't even there. Back on the road it was more of the same without a single slip in over 300 miles of some of the worst roads I have ever driven.

I have to say that I have never felt so much confidence in anything I have ever driven over the road, the Liberty performed flawlessly. I got 23-24 miles per gallon too which I think is excellent on a new engine and in such abysmal driving conditions.

The only complaint I have so far is that it would be nice if you could see the “cruise” indication without dropping the steering wheel in your lap.

Now the pictures. Well you see I pulled the digital out while parked on the interstate parking lot and it seemed that either it is broken or both batteries were dead. I really wanted the pictures from the summit too as the whole front of the Liberty was plastered with ice. Next time!

cowcatcher

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK camera is working again!

DSCN0363.JPG

don spiro

Reaction score
I am thinking about getting a crd, just curious to find out how much was it out the door. I want to be prepared for negociations:)

cowcatcher

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I purchsed from my local dealer who is a Jeep only dealer and who needs more sales to keep the dealership I think. He was responding to an internet quote I had gotten from another regional dealer at $500 under invoice including incentives on a Sport.

I paid about $800 under invoice for the Limited before incentives. The current incentives include a $2,367 debit card, two years of free maintenance and 2 additional years of warranty. The debit card is mailed about a month after you take delivery and it although it is considered a 2 year free gas card I understand that you can draw the whole amount the first time through. The total value of the incentives is around $5.

I should add that the sticker was $30,505 but over $34K with the local add on sticker. There are a dozen ways to figure the price of a car aren't there. :-k

Old Navy

Reaction score
My 05 I bought in Nov, list was $25,830 and I gave $11,000 difference on a '02 VW Jetta GLS automatic TDI with 55,000 miles on the odometer. It included the trailer hitch also and a full tank of fuel.

grogiefrog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Cowcatcher, thanks or the report on the pickup! Sounded like a good time and I do wish we could have seen photos. Plus it sounds like it was a good deal!

I was driving my KJ today, off to see "The Lion, The Witch, and the Wardrobe". Freezing rain to snow was falling on two-lane country roads that were mostly snow covered. The KJ is a great to have for that kind of weather.

It's different from a TJ isn't it? I'll have to agree that for day to day life, the KJ just makes more sense. I did add ABS to my TJ as it does help to keep the rear end in the back where it should be.

Anyway, let us see some photos soon. I grew up near Spokane (was born their btw), but I don't remember it. Someday I'll have to visit as my dad tells me it's beautiful.

Canyonero02

Reaction score
I was out driving the KJ around in the snow the other day, drives real good. A little better than my truck. No limited slip to kick the rear end around. Even in 2wd the KJ just goes. Were very happy with it so far. Almost 5k on the clock since august.

cowcatcher

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am loving my KJ CRD and no cold weather problems with temps ranging between -8 F and 20 F.

I am heading over the mountains again in the very early morning. I will remember my camera this time through!