New to the Jeep World

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

fasto82

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hey i just got my new liberty back in june. im loving the fact i own a jeep. i have taken it offroading but nothing serous just some dirt trails. im not looking to taotally trick this thing out like i did with the neon i traded in on the libby. my main concern is boosting mileage. what mods can i do to improve the horrible mileage of these things. i saw a few intakes on ebay for like $15 but i read on here that the K&N system for $235 would be best. i have no problem with spending the money to get the results.i really dont wanna get a new exhaust system seeing they r pretty expensive and hard to find a decent enough shop around here to install it. what about chips? any available that would work with a stock or mildly modded(just an intake) engine? also how much of a loss of mileage am i looking at if i add a push bar or am i better off with a bull bar. i am also looking for a cheap set of running boards. something functional but not expensive. the only other things i want are splash gaurds and vent visors. i am also considering getting the tef-lon coating for the paint the dealership offered. anyone get this done. does it really work? what are the downsides of it? im also gonna get the extended warranty on bumper to bumper basic parts. im also considering a 3" lift kit. will this affect my stock suspension? what kind of shop can install this? is 3" too high or is there a kit thats not as high of a lift and will allow me to keep my stock suspension? will the lift kit void my warranty? thanks for the help! O:)

dnm45227

Reaction score
Welcome to the site. Others with more knowledge will surely chime in, but I can give you a couple of answers.

Q: Mileage
A: Some have seen worst mileage w/aftermarket intakes. However, if you can clean & re-use it your not realy losing money.

Q: Chip
A: Not worth the money, from what information I've read here.

Q: Running boards
A: Check the vendors section of the site. Some offer discounts and Bennet wouldn't link them if they weren't of good qaulity.

That's the extent of my ability. Hope it helps.

AtlanticLiberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I added a full brush guard to mine and I didn't notice a mileage change at all. It's just harder to wash behind it.

Liberty Titan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Congrats on thenew ride =D> Let's see if I can give you any help. A new exhaust may very well improve your fuel economy but it may very well worsen it also. You won't know till you put it on. The K&N filter may help you out with some power...some say yes and others say no...as far as helping with fuel economy, maybe a fraction of a m/g better...from my experience anyway. A push bar shouldn't affect your mileage and it will definately sharpen the look of your liberty...I am partial to the bull bars. The teflon coating will help the life of your paint but from the stealership you will pay for it$ I don't bother with my trucks but on my sport bikes I go to a detailing shop and have a 3M type of clear plastic applied to the front. You only need it on the front of the hood and front 1/4 of your front fenders so it will be a cheaper option for you and will help with stone chips and what not. As for the lift...from all the research I have been doing (I am adding one next week) a 3 inch lift is pushing the limits. Most go with 2 or 2.5. Whether it will affect your suspension will depend on the lift among other things. I have been reading that the Daystar 2.5 spacer lift is a good option and is what I am going with. I will probably have to change my rear shocks but I am going to put the lift on and make that call after I see what it is like. But if you are concerned with your mileage adding a lift will be one of the worst things you can do. You could lose 2 maybe even 3 or 4 m/g...pending on tires. Check with your dealer to see what they say as far as the warranty. I will keep everyone up to date with what I find in the next few weeks with my install. This was a long post but hopefully it helped a little anyway O:)

fujitsubo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Welcome fasto82 wavey.gif . I don't spend too much on the aftermarket stuff unless you know for sure that it's going to give you your money's worth. I've heard of performance gains on modified chips from companies like superchip, usually for the imports or Mustangs. I doubt you can get much performance from chips sold on Ebay although I've not experienced it myself. Exhausts mods allow for better flow from the headers but if you want it done properly, it should be air intake, headers, and cat-back exhaust. Can't really do just one or the other, they all are in unison. You can do pretty much anything if you have a full wallet.

fuji

Liberty06

Reaction score
I am searching for a Baja style light bar for the fron bumper area...Usually a smaller gauge tube than brush or Bull bars..Anyone have any links or ideas?
Thanks
Sierra Sam

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Nothing works better re gas mileage than driving with a lighter foot.
What really helps is going up a few pounds in tire air pressure, lighten the load onboard,
use synthetic motor and differential oils/lubes, and keeping the motor in good tune with fresh plugs and good clean air filter.
Save the money for a highway vacation and a good hotel..LOL.

Midgear

Reaction score
Nothing works better re gas mileage than driving with a lighter foot.
What really helps is going up a few pounds in tire air pressure, lighten the load onboard,
use synthetic motor and differential oils/lubes, and keeping the motor in good tune with fresh plugs and good clean air filter.
Save the money for a highway vacation and a good hotel..LOL.

that right there is pretty much the only way to do it.. with my heavy ass foot, I get no more than 200 miles to a TANK. often 170 - 190 miles to a tank.

now if I drive real nice and go light, I can pull off about 230 - 250 miles to a tank, mabey more.. havent tried LOL

Luke

Interloper
Reaction score
lol3.gif ...

Sadly he may have been able to use that information ... 5 YEARS AGO

(rotflmao)

Porkchop

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Keep a good set of plug in it and do a good exhaust system. Plugs are cheap but you will pay for a good exhaust system. I think a Magnaflo is like around $500.00 but worth every penny. Just these two things with a lighter foot at the get go will help.