New to the board.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

forcefed44

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey guys..

I'm new to the KJ board but not new to the Jeep and Landy game. I'm looking into a KJ Liberty within the next 3 weeks and wanted to know what years and models would be good? A handful of family and friends have them and from bad (3.7 threw a rod @160K to good (Daily with 95K), all have different opinions. I want something of a lifted daily since my XJ gets rank gas mileage and my LR/RR's forget it (LOL).

I searched a buyers guide on here but I could not find anything. So my main focus is based on the KJ itself.

1. Best years? (I always stay away from the first year of anything)
2. Mileage (safe base for the 3.7)
3. any points to look out for (non maintenance wearing)
4. common problems (O/H problems, trans and T/Case, rusting)

Believe you me, My lifted XJ has put me through the wringer and back with parts replacement so I'm kin to it... I'm going to lift it max 3" due to CV driveline nd run wider A/T's but other than that.. Keep it mostly stock.

Thanks again.

Last edited:

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum!

My stock XJ, LR3 and WK all get better MPG than the Liberty in town for what it's worth. Pre 06 KJs won't have the electronic stuff like ESP. 02s and early 03s had the 45RFE trans which is better than the 42RLE. Any year of KJ is fine, really.

J33Pfan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Buyer Beware!
odometers can lie! mind did!

Check for rusty doors & frame

check trans for leaks & slip. Trans fluid must be clean!

the whole front end gone over

PS hoses & pump

AC working good

Is the oil clean?? Dirty is a problem!

Frame: rust, cracks, repairs

GOOD LUCK!

Tog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If looking at 04 with the 42RLE trans give it a real good test drive in both 2wd and fulltine 4wd. Any shudder its likely to have a stuffed TC.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Good point. If in the 130k+ range and no service records of it being done, I'd consider that the trans will need to be replaced in the next 30k possibly.

forcefed44

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the information. I'll look into a pre '06 and if I could find a diamond in the ruff 5 speed, that would be premium. I guess it is pretty much the norm when it comes to looking these over besides the door and hinge rusting issues.. How's the 3.7 hold up? Now, I wish my XJ got good gas mileage.. Eventually. I'm going to rebuild the 4.0 with a highflow head, full header back, cam, and bored Tbody/horse shoe intake manifold. it's on 3.55's and AW4 on 32's and 4.5" of lift. I just gained back almost 2 mpg removing the roof basket. My LR Disco 1 is lifted 3" and gets at best 16mpg on the highway.. 9-13 in the city and its only on 30.5"s. The RRC LWB is on 32's and 2" lift and that gets 15mpg. I would like atleast 20mpg highway.. LOL without going hybrid.. LOL

Thanks,
Chris.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
3.7 holds up if it's never been over heated and has clean oil in it.

Stock you could see 22-23 highway, I usually see about 20 running at 75 or 80.

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
3.7 holds up if it's never been over heated and has clean oil in it.

Stock you could see 22-23 highway, I usually see about 20 running at 75 or 80.
That is consistent with my 2007. It was only after a few add-ons (roof basket, etc.) that my highway mileage dropped to around 20mpg. I work from home now and on the rare occasion I don't get any good highway time on the weekend, my in-town mileage is pitiful. On the other hand, a twenty-gallon tank would last me forever doing that.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
My 04 I bought new , lifted when it had 20,000 miles on it and went anywhere and everywhere I wanted to go did great.
Over 220,000 miles and no issues, 32 inch tires, 4.10 gears, over 4 inches of lift and easily got 21-22 on the highway at 5-10 over legal speeds
My 03 with 2.5 inches of lift, 31s and stock gearing for now, just got an average of over 20 going down through Southern Ohio, WVa, VA and North Carolina and back with one way being loaded to the gills and running over the whole way
Take care of them and they'll take care of you
I have an 02 bought with blown motor, 03 thats my DD, 04 thats currently still MIA due to some low life and an 05 , the 03 and 05 were both one owner, very well maintained and no issues at all
They will tell you to watch for rust but if they were taken care of shouldn't be much.
If the engine is ever ran hot, then you're in for some issues
I would stick with the 02-05s, less electronic BS to deal with IMO