New to me Jeep Liberty

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Octaviakj

Reaction score
Why do these liberties get talked smack about? I almost got talked out of buying my new to me Liberty! She has 162k on her, and 2002. She had one owner and the window sticker and all orginal things from the first sale was there in the glove box. Drives better than any car I've drove lately. I was most happy to hand over my van keys to upgrade to an older jeep. We had a small issue. The oil sending unit was leaking but we got that fixed by the dealer free of charge. Today I've had her 2 weeks! I'm new around here. I live in Co. I don't understand some things but I'm learning! I had a 95 Jeep Grand Cherokee back in 2006-2009. I loved that jeep too but due to the economy and hubby losing his job we had to downsize. However this Jeep is mine not his. He has a pathfinder. It has new tires on the rear but not in the front. Need to get them in and sell the new ones to put slightly more aggressive tires on it. We had a blizzard last week, jeep had no issues getting me around. She's pretty in silver, I'm a nerd so of course I'm putting my fandoms all over her, but I don't care. She was pretty cheap too. 3,800. Has a sun roof, is the 3.7 V6 Sport ed. Love this Jeep!

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome.

Dave

CodeWarrior

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am not sure why they get such trash talk.

I have owned three Libertys.

A 2004 which I sold when I moved from Texas to Hawaii. This was an outstanding vehicle. Never needed much work at all.

A 2003 which I purchased when I got to Hawaii. Previous owner had driven this one really hard. Between 2003 and 2011, they put 140K miles on it on an island (Oahu) that is only about 30 miles wide. Has needed a lot of suspension work as it had bad ball joins (all of them), bad shocks, non-existent jounce pads, etc etc.

Another 2004 which I purchased from a guy on the other side of the island. Engine was removed and in the cargo compartment partially disassembled. It had overheated sometime in 2010 (I think), after a radiator leak. One head was warped. I am in the middle of rebuilding the engine now. Hopefully I will have it up and running soon.

I have found the Jeep Liberty to be pretty easy to work on, with a couple of caveats. For the most part, there is enough room in the engine compartment that I don't have to remove half the stuff to get to something I need to fix. On the whole it is sturdy and aside from my suspension work, does not have problems often.