New to Liberty...not to forums

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

UpsJeep

Reaction score
Hello friends, I am going to start off by saying I know the proper method here is to search archives..please refrain from pointing that out..I am writing this in hopes that I may be steered in a direction that will aid me making any repairs sooner..Though not my 1st jeep or car for that matter, it seems to be clouded with gremlins..reading thru MANY threads..I will try to detail (briefly) what I have expereinced in the short 6 or so weeks I have owned this Liberty...which BTW I love driving..but I bought it for my fiance to drive.
2006, limited, 3.7L, 66K miles..little old lady owned, ALL features (gadets) operational, my son thought it was NEW...thats how clean it is..
1--- 3 days in tire light, easy right, all tires were 28 or 29lbs..yes low but all the same..light stayed on, per discount some TPM's are ultra sensitive, raised pressure to 34lbs per door jam sticker..has been good since.
2---4 weeks in..at start up get a chime and GAS CAP warning..thought thats wierd, got out checked to see if it was still there..it was..took off and reinstalled...when i got home I googled, I see many have issue there too...It passed emission so I figured cap was good..I see that many have to tighten it 3 or 4 clicks..so i did that....its been fine since.
3---dreaded ABS,BRAKE,Traction and one other light, blink on and get on chime...few seconds later again...repeqts about 12 or 15 times..over the course of a couple minutes..then goes away...I had just washed it so i thought water got someplace...started googling again...BCM, recalls, leaking sunroofs...wheel speed sesnsors...all popping up..BUT no sunroof. it stopped. and ws fine.googled more looking around.
4---2 or 3 weeks since above issue...driving on freeway starts again..only this time more frequently, and add in the odometer brightness slightly changing, and a pop in the radio speakers, also being I was on freeway this time I tried the Cruise ..and it wont stay on....also popped into nuetral while rolling at 70 and it seemed to stop, put back into gear (auto) and it proceeded... again stopped after a few minutes..

So, I will be open to some of you veteran Libertarians...where to start?..wheel speed sensors?...the wiring for them?...what will you lean towards?..yes I am mechanically inclined, though not a fan of electrical issues , nor do I have the elabnorate test equipment..I have built many old school racecars, and worked on my own Cj's LJ's TJ's and XJ's.....thank you to my new friends :icon_smile:

Porkchop

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have you checked the battery? That would be one of the first things I would check.

UpsJeep

Reaction score
thx Porkchop, yes its on the list..but havent yet..doesnt seem low...cranks and starts fine even after it sits for a few days...and these days I always expect the "yeah its bad" answer just to sell the new one..LOL..it is only a year old also, per Lil ol lady (PO)

UpsJeep

Reaction score
GREAT right after I posted that for Porkchop ..I left for work..guess what..Jeep unlocked, dome worked, turn key, kerchunt, tic..dead battery not turned over..then SO dead nothing worked...figured YUP its battery, couldnt re lock doors..left it open..drove other car to work..home for lunch to pull battery out for testing..opened door popped hood open...#@^#% ALARM goes off !?! WTF..so I grab key turn that off...now Domes work and low and behold it starts..just like nothing happened..STILL OLD BATTERY mind you.....So my friends, what do we think now?? :eek:)

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Still start with the battery
When they start going it will do really funky/crazy things with these newer computerized piles, not like the old days when one started to go.
So yes, I'd make sure the battery is good first.
Doesn't matter how old it is either

UpsJeep

Reaction score
OK Tom...100% agree with your modern "pile" statement...wish I still had my 79 Cherokee chief 2dr..
among others..I'll drive it to Autozone tonight....if it starts LOL

UpsJeep

Reaction score
so heres the UPDATE....drove it to Orielys for a BATT test...test was GOOD...HOWEVER...
upon opening the hood, then moving the red plastic cover off the '+' post..what appears but a small spark..on the terminal..look closer, and the wingnut that holds the POS wires on wasnt very tight...so returned home, removed filed/cleaned/smoothed out, then re connected, with washer and tightened good...we will see how that works now....if all this was related to voltage variance..could be fixed...and it was free :eek:)

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
That sure seems to be a smoking gun. (Beats a smoking battery!) :happy107: