New Owner

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kd8mki

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, great resource here. I just bout my 2002 Renegade. I've already replaced the blower motor resister and have a few other projects. It's in great shape I think for an '02 with 7xxxx miles on it. A few questions...

1) Has anyone had to replace the rear glass struts? Mine is missing one. Having trouble finding them local, but see them available online. Do they just pop off/on? I'm going to replace the one that's still there and replace them as a pair.

2) I'm getting a code that indicates "Large EVAP system leak". The fuel cap seems to be in good shape, and I crawled underneath and looked at the hoses going to the evap cannister, they seem to be in good shape, i.e. not visibly cracked or otherwise dammaged. I thought maybe the code was just from sitting for a while at the dealership, but it's still there.

3) Why did I wait so long to buy a Jeep?!?! :D

ptsb5a

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Had that problem once. Turned out to be a cracked evap canister. Had it replaced under warranty. Check your owners manual. I dunno how it works south of the 49th but up here the manufacturer is responsible for the emmisions control stuff for like 115,000 kms (70 ish K miles).

kb0nly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There is a leak somewhere in the EVAP system and unfortunately it means a lot of checking, all the lines, the canister, the lines from front to back and around the purge solenoid, etc... There was another post about this not too long ago and the guy spend a couple days chasing it down...

As for the rear glass struts... Advance Auto, RockAuto.com, and a few other suppliers that i know for sure have them. RockAuto was the cheapest when i hunted them down for another member on here a couple months back.

As for why you waited so long... Can't help ya there... LMAO

kd8mki

Full Access Member
Reaction score
sounds like I have some quality time coming up with the Libby....

for some reason, autozone lists them, but they can't order them. I'll check out rockauto.com

thanks for the tips.

PS-kb0nly, I enjoy your website. I've seen your posts on another forum (RadioReference.com) and I found this place because of your post about your radio install over there.

kb0nly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
sounds like I have some quality time coming up with the Libby....

for some reason, autozone lists them, but they can't order them. I'll check out rockauto.com

thanks for the tips.

PS-kb0nly, I enjoy your website. I've seen your posts on another forum (RadioReference.com) and I found this place because of your post about your radio install over there.

Hey i'm glad i lured another KJ owner over here from RR... Welcome aboard by the way!

candpliberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2) I'm getting a code that indicates "Large EVAP system leak". The fuel cap seems to be in good shape, and I crawled underneath and looked at the hoses going to the evap cannister, they seem to be in good shape, i.e. not visibly cracked or otherwise dammaged. I thought maybe the code was just from sitting for a while at the dealership, but it's still there.

A shot of WD-40 on the gas cap o ring took care of that code for me. It was a year ago and hasn't returned.