New owner 2010 KK - what to watch for?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jarhead

Reaction score
Just bought a decent condition ‘10 and looking for any “heads up” from the experts. Already detected possible heater core issues and ratcheting door locks but just getting into it. I have read online about sand in heater core or possible air blender vane and recall on door locks so plenty of stuff to look at.

LONGJEEPOWNER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have had my 2010 since 2011. Minor parts repair so far, Spark Plugs, Catalytic Converters, Water pump, Serpentine Belt, Wheel Sensors, Brakes, Coils, EGR Valve, Front A Frame Bushings, Upper and Lower Ball Joints, Tie Rod Ends and new Torque Converter.

lfhoward

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
As noted above, things that wear out and need replacing in any older vehicle will eventually need attention in the KK. I have done a bunch of maintenance to my 08 over the years. The drivetrain is solid in these Liberties and the engine, while not strong or fast, is very reliable if maintained and not overheated. I have 213,000 miles now on my KK and counting. But in terms of common failure points, here is what I have heard about from the forums:
- sky slider, very expensive if you can fix it at all
- mode door on heater box, needs a dash removal to repair
- tipm (underhood fuse box) can occasionally go bad, causing a ton of simultaneous electrical gremlins (same as all Chrysler products from this era)

Jarhead

Reaction score
So far I’ve found one burned out tail light, as in it’s half melted kind of burn out, and a failed blender door actuator for the hot/cold door. After moving the door manually I get a little heat but not much so heater core flush coming up next. I also used liberal application of bulb grease on the new taillight and good so far.

Brokencop

Reaction score
As noted above, things that wear out and need replacing in any older vehicle will eventually need attention in the KK. I have done a bunch of maintenance to my 08 over the years. The drivetrain is solid in these Liberties and the engine, while not strong or fast, is very reliable if maintained and not overheated. I have 213,000 miles now on my KK and counting. But in terms of common failure points, here is what I have heard about from the forums:
- sky slider, very expensive if you can fix it at all
- mode door on heater box, needs a dash removal to repair
- tipm (underhood fuse box) can occasionally go bad, causing a ton of simultaneous electrical gremlins (same as all Chrysler products from this era)
I couldn't agree more on all counts. My sky slider can not be repaired. I had to screw it down and caulk it to keep it from leaking. The actuator for the floor heat door has a plastic gear prone to loosing teeth. Mine does not direct heat to the floor. Heater core is going bad, giving "warm" air at best, even after two flushes. Not the ideal conditions during a Midwest winter. If I ever repair the floor heater door I would replace the heater core while the dash is pretty much torn down.
The drive train is solid though and it is a pretty tough rig.

Jarhead

Reaction score
I couldn't agree more on all counts. My sky slider can not be repaired. I had to screw it down and caulk it to keep it from leaking. The actuator for the floor heat door has a plastic gear prone to loosing teeth. Mine does not direct heat to the floor. Heater core is going bad, giving "warm" air at best, even after two flushes. Not the ideal conditions during a Midwest winter. If I ever repair the floor heater door I would replace the heater core while the dash is pretty much torn down.
The drive train is solid though and it is a pretty tough rig.
Yeah, I’m glad this “new to me rig” doesn’t have the sky slider, less headaches. Replacing my actuator got the hot/cold door working but still just warm-ish at best. Hoping the flush works for me but you never know until you try.