New Owner: Select Trac 4x4

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rchung813

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi, I'm new to Jeeps so please forgive my ignorance. I recently purchased a Jeep Liberty 2007 Limited class. Before buying the Jeep Liberty I had the opportunity to drive a rental when I went traveling this past summer. The Jeep was great and it was one of the main reasons I choose to buy it.

It's been about a month since I bought the Jeep and I have not use the 4WD F/T option. Today I had my opporunity to test it since I was out and the road was wet from the rain. I get into my Jeep, turn on the engine and shifted the 4x4 gear to F/T. I began to backout of my parking space and then make a turn to get out of the spot. As I turn the wheel to make a sharp turn, the car didn't seem to move. I applied a little more gas to get the Jeep to move, but to no avail. I didn't put more gas into the turn because I didn't want to force anything or cause an issue with the engine or the transfer case. So I put the car back to 2WD and the car was able to backout with the turn without an issue.

From reading some of the discussions here I thought my Jeep would be able to run 4WD F/T without an issue. However I ran across this post -

"all wheels spin at the same speed regardless, and when taking sharp turns, there is no wheel to make up that difference in rotation when turning, and therefore you get driveline binding, or sometimes called wheel hop. "

Is this happening on my F/T 4WD Jeep Liberty?

06Liberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure about the Jeeps, but the 4x4 Ford Ranger that I had before I got my 2wd Liberty would do the same thing when it was in 4wd HI.....you couldn't turn sharp at all, but if it was in 4wd LO it was fine. I'm guessing this is about the same problem, if so you're not alone.

FoxChung

Reaction score
if you want to change from 2WD to 4WD FT at STANDSTILL state, AND you're going to MAKE TURN (left ot right) after 4WD FT gear change instead of moving straight forward, try the followings and it may help.

1. at standstill state, change 2WD to 4WD FT
2. move your gear from F to R, and then back to F again
3. now you should be able to turn left or right smoothly

let me know if it works and it works in my KJ

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes you can use F/T without an issue, and don't have to wait for rain or snow.. Suggested way is switching while moving, you can switch from 2wd to 4x4 F/T up to 55mph.

Just start rolling out of the parking lot, and as you are going out pull the lever up in steady continuous motion, go pass 4x4 P/T without stopping there.

You will be totally fine. I speed in 4x4 F/T sometimes, although lately I have been driving 2x4 but as I said it is 4x4 FULL TIME. You can use it anytime you like it, not it won't damage your drivetrain or will cause wheels to hop.

That thing will only happen in 4x4 PT since it actually locks all 4 wheels to same speed.

rchung813

Full Access Member
Reaction score
FoxChung: I actually did what you said when I went to 4WD F/T. I'll try it again and see what happens.

hyedipin: I'll also try what you said, maybe that would help me as well.

If I change my Jeep to run 4WD F/T, will I feel a little more tension on the gas pedal or steering wheel when driving?

Jeger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah it just sounds like the tcase didnt get out of P/T when you went to make your turn. It would have been nice if they could have put the F/T before the P/T in the shift pattern.

rchung813

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Jeger: I think you maybe right, the transfer case didn't get out of P/T.

I tried the 4x4 F/T with hyedipin sugguestion and that worked fine. I made turns and sharp turns without an issue. Thanks

I will also try to change the gear from D to R to D again. Though I did do that the first time and it didn't seem to work. Maybe it was still in P/T.

Thanks all.

MadDog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
While we're on the subject, I've got a 2006 Limited with Selec-Trac (I think - whichever one has the 4X2, 4X4 FT, N, and 4X4 PT options). So I've read that you can drive in the 4X4 FT all the time, that it is basically like AWD and won't cause driveline binding. My question is then with regards to speed...I know you can shift from 4X2 to 4X4 FT up to 55 Mph, but up to what speed can you drive with 4X4 FT engaged? The reason I ask is I usually cruise between 65 and 70 on the highway and I usually do it in 4X2. What is the speed limit that I can safely cruise in FT without damaging anything? What speed do you guys usually cruise at in the FT mode?

Thanks for any responses

Andy

p.s. This could be a really stupid question, so feel free to call me stupid and tell me that there's no speed restriction in 4X4 FT :-$

p.p.s. I've also had the same issue as the original poster going into FT from 4X2. I disengaged it, drove it for a block, reengaged it and that seemed to do the trick. Didn't think much of it...

COLiberty

Reaction score
was this on clear pavement? ive heard that when using 4x4 on clear pavement it puts unwanted stress on the axles and the transfer case but im not positive.

crd

Reaction score
Is this summary correct?

Full Time 4X4 (green on the dash): The same as All wheel drive. You can use this in all driving conditions.

Part Time 4X4 (orange on the dash): Use only in slick conditions (blacktop roads) and when in off road conditions.

Part Time Low 4X4: Off road or slow speeds 4X4 traction needed.

Thanks

2003KJ

Reaction score
You will still experience SOME drivetrain binding or "wheel hop" when in full time....in the Jeep's i've driven with the 242 transfer case, this has been the case.

It is best to shift into 4x4 (hi or full time) while moving at any speed under 55mph. (I usually try to do somewhere between 15-25mph), and 4lo while crawling at about 2-3mph.

I've also found it helpful when switching from 2wd into 4 full time, not to "pause" per say in 4hi....this tends to confuse the t-case and it will want to stay in 4hi longer, rather than switching to full time.