New member with a gas tank question???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

F550-4X4

Reaction score
Great forum here! I started gathering info here before I bought my new to me 2005 Limited KJ. So far I love the jeep but have just one problem. When the gas tank gets full it sprays gas out around the pump handle and runs down the side of the jeep. It's done this at several different stations so I don't think it's the gas pump. I've even tried filling at a slower rate but it will still overflow. Is this a common problem or does anybody have any suggestions?

Thanks!

K Dje Ryu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Try filling at a FASTER rate. Some of those pumps don't recognize that the tank is full if they're pumping real slow (not enough back-pressure or something). However, if it's doing that ALL the time, then yeah, there's a problem.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Happens to me sometimes.. Most of the time it happens if I pull the handle back up after its already shut off.. O:)

MoladoGuy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
jeepjeepster said:
Happens to me sometimes.. Most of the time it happens if I pull the handle back up after its already shut off.. O:)

It happens to me often to. What is really recognizing if the tank is full? Does the Jeep have something that actually tells the gas pump?

Jeger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Its the pump itself, I have filled gas cans before and if you let the gas cover the end of the filler nozzle it will shut off.

the_titan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know I get spray when I try to top the tank off as, with the Liberty, when the pump shuts off, that thing really is full. All my other cars I have always been able to squeeze in an extra gallon without overflow.

KeswickDave

Gold Moderator
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
the_titan said:
I know I get spray when I try to top the tank off as, with the Liberty, when the pump shuts off, that thing really is full. All my other cars I have always been able to squeeze in an extra gallon without overflow.

I have found the exact same thing. Other cars always took a few extra squeezes, with the Liberty this results in spillage. I've learned to just stop when it stops.

Dave

especko

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i believe it is because the filler neck on the tank is really short.

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
the_titan said:

Ditto on that.

Dave

Mick

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Next time you fill up look at the end of the pump. On the side, about a 1/2 inch from the end there is a small hole. This hole is connected to a thing called a Venturi located in the handle near the shutoff mechanism. Gas flows through the venturi and creates a vacuum, drawing air from that small hole near the end of the pump. When the tank is full the hole gets covered up by the gas in the filler neck. The gas keeps flowing, building up a vacuum until it's strong enough to trip the shutoff. That last bit when the hole is covered to the shutoff tripping happens fairly quickly.

Hope that helps explain how the shutoff works.

Lizzys07Liberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
KeswickDave said:
the_titan said:

I have found the exact same thing. Other cars always took a few extra squeezes, with the Liberty this results in spillage. I've learned to just stop when it stops.

Dave

x3.

When it stops the first time, I don't even attempt to fill it up with another drop. Must be the angle of the neck of the fuel tube or something...cause once it's full, it's full.

F550-4X4

Reaction score
Thanks for all of the input. Sounds like I'm not the only one with this problem. May be a design flaw in the filler tube. I also learned quickly that once the pump shuts off, the tank is really full. I'm used to my diesel that you can squeeze in a couple more gallons once the foam settles. It's nothing I can't live with. I've found that if I wrap a paper towel around the end of the pump nozzle before putting it in the tank is will usually stop it from spraying out.

Thanks again. This site is great!

2003KJ

Reaction score
MoladoGuy said:
jeepjeepster said:

It happens to me often to. What is really recognizing if the tank is full? Does the Jeep have something that actually tells the gas pump?

Actually, I believe it's a flapper or a valve that is inside the neck that stops the pump once it gets full.

On my previous vehicle (Ford Contour) there was a recall for a defective flap inside the tank. The problem is it would tell the pump the tank was full and it wasn't. I had not had any problems out of mine (the one recall out of the 15 or so that I had to take care of that DIDN'T give me a problem), until about 5 months after the recall was announced. I was at the gas station trying to fill up from almost E. It took me a solid half an hour to pump 13 gallons of gas.

I then sold it and bought the Jeep about two days later (biggrin)

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
Slightly North of the 49° th. Parallel... In HongC
Good day,

Fill up, either by locking gas nozzle and tending to other automotive
service requirements or manually dispense fuel into tank.
When full gas pump clicks "Off", tank is full!
Do not "Top up" as gasoline will inevitably spray out like Old Faithful!

Ry'

Maximum Carnage

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's never happen to me. At least not in my Liberty. It's happen in the past with my old Montero but I know it was the pump itself, old style pumps, non digital.