New Liberty Limited

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

relay93

Reaction score
We have had our 2007 Liberty Limited now for 2 weeks and today smoke out from under the glove box, possibly blower motor, and anti freeze leeking from the water pump and being thrown all over the engine compartment. Has anyone else experienced this kind of trouble with a new Liberty?

06Liberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've never personally heard of that with a Liberty, especially a NEW one. That doesn't mean it hasn't happened though... I know there was a blower motor recall for the '06 models but I figured it'd be fixed already on the '07's. I would definately get that checked because of the potential for fire. Water pump, I have no idea....

relay93

Reaction score
Hey Thanks for replying.
I am new to the site and did research before purchasing. The Liberty is the wife's.
We sold her 05 Dodge 3500 sb 4x4 diesel. The wife likes the Liberty size and parking ability.

desertkj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have never heard of that, although I would be extremely concerned. Honestly, I would consider having it towed back to the dealership to be on the safe side.

relay93

Reaction score
Well I just got back from the purchasing dealer. The Lib was towed to the dealer and they apologized for this. I told them it wasn't their fault. Anyway I will have to to the dealer Monday to get a rental. Hopefully it won't take to long. From the time we got home with our brand new Lib I kept smelling anti freeze but I could never find the source, but to day the source showed up. The build date on this Jeep is Aug. of 2006. I purchased on Aug. 2007. This thing was on the lot for along time. Being such an early 07 maybe this Lib would have the faulty blower motor. Any thoughts on this?

Thanks for the replies, especially since has been my first post on this forum.

_UnLiMiTeD_

Full Access Member
Reaction score
it possible, guess you find out when the dealership calls to tell you what it was. I know my jeep, even though it was used, the thing is an 04 and was not actually purchased until the end of january of 05

thecause17

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The waterpump problem I've heard of before...it happened to me on mine, but at 43k miles, which in my opinion is still way to early for a waterpump to go bad, but new off the lot, that's rediculous. When they replace the pump they are using an updated version, so apparently there was a problem with the originals. I know they used to be the same waterpump used on the 4.7L V-8, and the replacements aren't.

Hopefully you get that all straightened out and have no future problems with it. Mine's been great other than the waterpump issue I had, which was replaced under warranty at least.

relay93

Reaction score
Well the water pump was replaced, but as for the smoke from under the glove
box, well that is still a mysterry. The mechanics pulled the blower motor checked evrything and found nothing wrong.

Thanks for all replies.

MoladoGuy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well the water pump was replaced, but as for the smoke from under the glove
box, well that is still a mysterry. The mechanics pulled the blower motor checked evrything and found nothing wrong.

Thanks for all replies.

I think the smoke under the glove box was from the coolant spraying around in the engine comp. I had my water pump blow on me recently and boy was there smoke not only coming up from the hood but slightly into the passenger area. The spraying coolant was creating it.

relay93

Reaction score
The dealer mechanics replaced the water pump and as for the smoke, they could not find anything that would cause that. The mechanic pulled the blower motor and said it looked okay. So the smoke could have been antifreeze burned off. Are the fresh air dampers partially open all the time?

Atrus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had a big puff of smoke in my Prix once. Only happened once. I was just thinking back to what it could have been, and a short time later the resistor was bad. I am thinking that was the blower motor resistor blowing out, and it took a while for me to notice?

Do all your blower fan settings work?

relay93

Reaction score
I had a big puff of smoke in my Prix once. Only happened once. I was just thinking back to what it could have been, and a short time later the resistor was bad. I am thinking that was the blower motor resistor blowing out, and it took a while for me to notice?

Do all your blower fan settings work?

All the blower speeds do work. I was told that the mechanic checked the resistors ohm value and the ohm values was good and they also checked for dis-coloration that would be caused by heat.

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
Slightly North of the 49° th. Parallel... In HongC
Good day,
Last week Thursday evening...
About 4 blocks from our home we could could smell burning antifreeze entering the cabin and noticing wafts of vapour puffing up from under the hood as we pulled into our drive way you could hear the ball bearings grinding away against the water pump shaft. The serpentine belt and tensioner screaming their own tune. Water and coolant vapour blowing up from under the hood, the inside of the car smelled of thick greassy fried antifreeze.
So off to the deallership we went on Monday to have the pump replaced.
Our KJ has 141,671,00 km on the clock( 88,030,28miles) Not bad I figure for the original pump!

thecause17

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Eh, I've had several vehicles in the 150k plus range with the original pumps on them. I think you should at least get 100k miles, that's generally the suggested interval change with timing belt equipped engines. I was really disappointed in mine when it went with under 50k on it.

MoladoGuy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good day,
Last week Thursday evening...
About 4 blocks from our home we could could smell burning antifreeze entering the cabin and noticing wafts of vapour puffing up from under the hood as we pulled into our drive way you could hear the ball bearings grinding away against the water pump shaft. The serpentine belt and tensioner screaming their own tune. Water and coolant vapour blowing up from under the hood, the inside of the car smelled of thick greassy fried antifreeze.
So off to the deallership we went on Monday to have the pump replaced.
Our KJ has 141,671,00 km on the clock( 88,030,28miles) Not bad I figure for the original pump!

Wow I'm telling you your the 3rd person in the last 2 weeks that has had their KJ water pump blow up. Your did exactly what mine did. Bearings ripping through the pump and vapors just pouring out of the hood. I dumped the Jeep in a friends yard and then we pulled out the old one, went to auto shop and bought new one along with a new serp belt. 86,000 miles on mine.

seriouse

Reaction score
Eh, I've had several vehicles in the 150k plus range with the original pumps on them. I think you should at least get 100k miles, that's generally the suggested interval change with timing belt equipped engines. I was really disappointed in mine when it went with under 50k on it.

mine have 103,203 and still going