New to me 2006 Jeep Liberty Renegade

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

inflaymes

Reaction score
Fixing this up a bit. Just bought 5 wheels and tires for her. I have new red calipers and slotted/drilled rotors to put on as well. New spark plugs, fluid changes, etc. It runs great and looks pretty sharp. Dealing with some small rust spots this summer. Have issues with O2 sensors, I think from an exhaust leak. putting new ones in and fixing leak, perhaps a new exhaust as well. I also bought new spot lights for the ones that are ripped off the front, as well as new brackets.
inflaymes-albums-my-2006-jeep-liberty-renegade-picture6469-2006-jeep-liberty-renegade-kj.jpg

inflaymes-albums-my-2006-jeep-liberty-renegade-picture6470-2006-jeep-kj-rear.jpg

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Welcome.
Having the jeep is fun, sounds like some good fix er up plans ahead.
What kind of lights on the front are you installing?

Jeremy-WI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Another 2006 renegade, they had factory fog lights mounted on top of the front bumper

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Sounds like you are getting a good start on it
As long as you use the right spark plugs, antifreeze etc should last a long time
On the front bumper they had fog lights, not spot lights
and as low as it looks , be a good time to start thinking new suspension for a better ride
drilled and slotted rotors are for high horsepower cars, do nothing at all for Jeeps

Last edited:

inflaymes

Reaction score
They do help with overheating. Stopping a heavy vehicle at speed, heats the rotors up a lot! Larger vehicles often have warped rotors because of stopping too short and heating them up. I had a Pacifica I put slotted drilled rotors on because it was always a bear to stop. Helped a lot actually. I also own a high performance sports car, so I know about brake fade and such.

As long as you use the right spark plugs, antifreeze etc should last a long time
and as low as it looks , be a good time to start thinking new suspension for a better ride
drilled and slotted rotors are for high horsepower cars, do nothing at all for Jeeps

inflaymes

Reaction score
Also, those wheels are 18" which might make the vehicle seem lower, only an inch larger than stock though with lower sidewall height. The ride is actually pretty nice right now. I might add better shocks/struts/springs later.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
They do help with overheating. Stopping a heavy vehicle at speed, heats the rotors up a lot! Larger vehicles often have warped rotors because of stopping too short and heating them up. I had a Pacifica I put slotted drilled rotors on because it was always a bear to stop. Helped a lot actually. I also own a high performance sports car, so I know about brake fade and such.

Went to brake, suspension and alignment school back in 1973 for the first time
been upgrading my classes / knowledge since then so have a little experience

Height wise, measure from middle of the wheel up to the bottom of the flare on the left front and report back. I have never seen any KJ with over 60-70,000 miles that was not sagged at least an inch or more . Have had 07s in with 70,000 miles sagged almost 2 inches .
Springs and shocks are very weak from the factory, should of been rated at 345-350 lb but are only 310 lb

inflaymes

Reaction score
What should the height be? It's on my list to eventually upgrade to decent springs, etc., but for now it seems to ride pretty good. That's one of the reasons I bought it because for the age, it rode and drove real nice compared to others drove.

Went to brake, suspension and alignment school back in 1973 for the first time
been upgrading my classes / knowledge since then so have a little experience

Height wise, measure from middle of the wheel up to the bottom of the flare on the left front and report back. I have never seen any KJ with over 60-70,000 miles that was not sagged at least an inch or more . Have had 07s in with 70,000 miles sagged almost 2 inches .
Springs and shocks are very weak from the factory, should of been rated at 345-350 lb but are only 310 lb

Jeremy-WI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think you will like it if it has good snow rated tires if next winter is anything like the one past. The electronic traction controls aren't bad.

I put Hankook Dynapros on mine just after christmas and they worked very well in the snow we got

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
What should the height be? It's on my list to eventually upgrade to decent springs, etc., but for now it seems to ride pretty good. That's one of the reasons I bought it because for the age, it rode and drove real nice compared to others drove.

measure left front
middle of the wheel to bottom of the flare
new stock height 19 inches for yours

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
I'm sitting at 18", now.[/OME springs and shocks on there and if you think it rides good now, you'll be blown away

any money spent on good springs and shocks is a good investment, no matter if keeping 6 months or 15 years

Boueux

Reaction score
Very informative…. Do you mean OEM or Old Man Emu? How’s that work? You just buy new springs and shocks all around, nothing else needed to do that?

I see you referred to the right plugs, antifreeze etc.. what are your suggestions please @tommudd? Happy new year :)

Last edited:

lfhoward

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hello, Tom hasn’t been on the forum in several months, so I’ll answer as best I can.

Plugs: NGK, ZFR6F-11G; gap 0.043 in. The copper ones like this work better than the iridium’s/platinums in our old school engines. Fewer misfires, coil packs seem to last longer. (Trade-off, they need replacing every 30k miles.)

Coolant: HOAT only. You can use Mopar or Zerex G05. The wrong green coolant mix causes lots of goo to develop and clog the system.

KJowner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
+ he means Old Man Emu. OEM springs aren't very good especially when 18 years old.

lfhoward

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not sure how I missed that… Thanks KJowner!

For the KJ,
Springs: OME 2927/2948
Shocks: OME 9009/N132L
Front Bump Stops: Teraflex 1903200
Rear Bump Stops: hockey pucks

Boueux

Reaction score
Many many thanks kjowner and LFHoward ! Where would any of us be without the pioneers who’ve gone before?

Boueux

Reaction score
@lfhoward
@KJowner

Huh.. we’re 2006 here .. and when I put the suggested plugs
NGK ZFR6—11G into Jeff Bezos’ interface, it said they weren’t compatible with an 06 KJ.

I know I Know. Why trust Amazon? But can someone explain this to me? The 2002-2012 Haynes manual page 1-2 ( attached) that 2008 and later take NGK ZRF6-11G (@ 0.044)

but that 2007 and earlier take NGK ZFR6F or equivalent ( @ 0.048 - 0.053)

so..

what. please. Is the NGK ZFR6F ? I can’t find it anywhere :(
The gentleman at Advanced told me -11G is copper And the other codes after the dall eleven are for platinum and iridium plugs. So is 11-G ok Even though the manual specs no dash anything?

Also, is there a readily available brand if HOAT yall suggest I might find at Advanced Or Carquest Or Wallyworld? Please?

Attachments

• IMG_4114.jpeg
    IMG_4114.jpeg
    297.1 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online