New KJ owner! Lots of work :(

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mattrwinn

Reaction score
About a months ago I purchased a 2006 Jeep Liberty Renegade with 65K. I have previously owned a 2001 XJ, so I was happy to return to the jeeping world.

Shortly after my purchase, I started to realize a few things (What follows is a lot of research, forum reading and repairs that it seems many KJ owners have done):

1. It came with a 2.5 lift, which as many of you know (and I know now...) puts the UCA's at a horrible angle and destroys the UBJs. Dealer agreed to replace one side, but shortly there after other side became noticeably bad. Ordered and installed JBA UCAs. Easy install and solved a few noises/clunks.

2. Rear ball joint was bad too! Replaced rear tri-link assembly. Huge difference. Let me know if you want tips on the install, figured out a good solution. It involves a floor jack, a bottle jack, and a 2x4.

3. Went to get alignment. Tie rod ends seized up. Inner and outer tie rods replaced. Alignment back to spec.

4. It had goodyear MTRs with a lot of tread but they were really noisy. I have had other mud tires before, but these were crazy. Turns out they were cupped from bad suspension parts. Installed new Falken ATs (245/75/16). Super quite, great grip and do decently in the mud.

5. A TMPS failed. Went to have it replaced to find another one was cracked and about to separate. Replaced 3 out of 4.

6. Two days after replacing TMPS... TMPS light starts dinging and flashing. After some research found that my cell phone charger in the 12V was interfering. Crazy. Unplugged, let computer reset. No more problems.

7. Rear brakes were making strange noises. Pulled wheels and there was plenty of pad left. Pulled rotors (which was an adventure) and found that parking brake assembly was worn out. Replaced pads, rotors and parking shoes.

8. Backed up and pulled on handle to adjust the parking brake... parking brake got stuck on! Got them off and adjusted all the way in. NEVER GOING TO PULL ON THAT HANDLE AGAIN!

9. Lots of rear brake noise now! Discovered backing plates were rubbing. Bent them out slightly, still lots of noise.

10. Backing plates were really loose and I figured that is why they were rubbing and making noise. Fastened them to caliper mounts with wire... LOTS OF NOISE!

11. Fastening them that way put them at an angle. Did some research to find that the backing plates are supposed to be riveted to the caliper mounts. My rivets have rusted off.

12. Next week I am going to pull the axles and re-rivet the backing plates (or bolt them maybe) and replace the parking brake springs, star adjuster, and shoe clips. Hoping that will end my noise.

All of this in a about a month. I am trying to wrap up my PhD, but this has engulfed my life. I love the KJ, but I am just hoping that I can just drive and enjoy if for a while.

mattrwinn

Reaction score
Pic

Here is a pic of me and my son fishing.

You must be registered for see images attach

Oh yea forgot to mention. Picked up a hitch off of craigslist. So difficult to install with gastank skid. Wow. Scarred 5 out of 6 thread holes trying to line up with screwdriver. Re-tapped, new bolts and a lot of frustration later. Installed.

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum and back to the Jeep World. Good pic.

Dave

KJDevildog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow, I am surprised you had that much trouble on an 06 with semi-low miles. I bought my 06 with 78k and now at 111k it has given me zero trouble. I'm about due for new shocks, and should probably do some preventive maintenance.

Though, my 06 is stock with no lift so no extra stress on components.

mattrwinn

Reaction score
Well at least that give me hope that I can have some trouble free miles ahead of me. My saving grace is that I have a lifetime powertrain warranty. I hope to put a ton of miles on it and then turn it into a full time trail rig.

LaneKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum. Seem to have quite a story with your purchase, not a bad thing..

GTF

Reaction score
That seems to be the way with any used vehicle, seems like no matter how hard you inspect a vehicle, there's always stuff that doesn't rear it's ugly head until you've owned and driven the vehicle for a few weeks! I'm sure it will treat you well once you get those things sorted out.