New KJ owner from NH

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

marduksenforcer

Reaction score
Good day to you all!!

Just bought a new-to-me 2006 Liberty Sport 4WD.

Names AJ, from Concord, NH. This is my first Jeep and my first 4x4. Hoping to learn alot here as I know pretty much nothing about Jeep's other than they BA.

Still trying to figure out how the different 4wd settings work, as the manual is confusing to me. It's stock for now but as money allows I will be adding things here and there.

Hope to make some new friends and have a great time with my Jeep!!

hectikart

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Welcome fellow New England '06 KJ person! There's a ton of great info/ideas on here.

As far as your 4wd, you have 2hi, 4hi, 4lo and N positions on your transfer case lever...some will also have a full-time selection as well. Normal driving on pavement or similar high traction surfaces, always 2hi...or full-time if you have it. 4hi/4lo will bind you up and you'll have a bad time.

While moving you can shift into 4hi as long as you're going less than 45mph or so, by pulling the lever up one position. You shouldn't really ever be going faster than 45/50 in 4hi.

To go into 4lo, transmission in neutral, moving forward 2-3mph, pull the lever through 4hi and N into 4lo without pausing...keep it under 25 in 4lo...and I'll usually stay in 1st/2nd gear.

N disengages both driveshafts and is for towing only. Hope that clarifies things for you.

marduksenforcer

Reaction score
That makes a bit more sense thanks!

If I pull the lever up one spot a light on the speedo says part time. I have only tried that in park just to see how easy it was to move the lever. Though I have noticed I cant get it back into 2hi unless the ****** is in N. And one other time I was stopped engine running ****** in N and I put it in 4lo cuz I almost got stuck in ice/snow.

Hopefully I didnt hurt anything by putting it in 4lo while sitting still. I wanna go out and play a little but im so afraid of trashing the 4wd.

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum.

Dave

NJallDAY

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That makes a bit more sense thanks!

If I pull the lever up one spot a light on the speedo says part time. I have only tried that in park just to see how easy it was to move the lever. Though I have noticed I cant get it back into 2hi unless the ****** is in N. And one other time I was stopped engine running ****** in N and I put it in 4lo cuz I almost got stuck in ice/snow.

Hopefully I didnt hurt anything by putting it in 4lo while sitting still. I wanna go out and play a little but im so afraid of trashing the 4wd.

Try 4 hi before you go into 4 lo, i was bogged down in some mud pretty good a few days ago, and 4hi was more then enough to get me out.

marduksenforcer

Reaction score
Try 4 hi before you go into 4 lo, i was bogged down in some mud pretty good a few days ago, and 4hi was more then enough to get me out.

Thanks for the tip!! We are due 2 feet of snow here by early AM tomorrow, so I guess it will be getting a good workout as I drive to work