New KJ in hand!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mindbomb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Very excited! :ROFLJest:
I live in NorCal. I bought my first Jeep today!! Liberty KJ 03' Limited, 3.7L gas. Very clean, good mech condition, had all fluids/filters and radiator replaced recently.

Thing is it's all stock, never off-roaded. Now if I want to take it off-road - I need your advice + some noob explanations on what are the must-haves:
  • parts to install (on a tight budget)
  • equipment in the car
  • other tips?

Now, here's the beauty:
You must be registered for see images attach

Thanks!

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Welcome, looks good
First thing is read read read and then start asking questions
If new to Jeeps etc, don't jump in without asking some who have been playing with these for several years.
For example lifts , you can waste a lot of money quick and have poor results.
As far as equipment, depends on where/ what you are doing.
Also never go out alone, find some knowledgeable folks and tag along.
Some great LOSTJEEPs ( another KJ forum ) folks out in the Cali area that do a lot of trail rides etc all the time

Octaviakj

Reaction score
I also just bought a jeep. A 02 with 162k miles one owner..love it. I live on the edge of the foothills in Denver, Co and it's so tempting to just go.

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome and nice KJ.

Dave

mindbomb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's a sport trim. Not a limited. Sounds like you got ripped off.

Nope, it got white tachometer, sunroof, alloy wheels. VIN checks out.
It's the limited alright. Bought from an honest person, no ripoffs.

Any tips on going off-road?

CactusJacked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you're sure yours a limited alright, then someone stripped it apart and put it back together using sport model body parts. The limited model has body color painted front bumper, rear bumper, fender flares, and door side mouldings.

CzarKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Welcome I like the color and year! I do have to say... it has sport on the side.... but anyways for offroading. Armor, lift, tires. ARMOR. You will need it :)

mindbomb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you're sure yours a limited alright, then someone stripped it apart and put it back together using sport model body parts. The limited model has body color painted front bumper, rear bumper, fender flares, and door side mouldings.

Donno then.. I liked the fact it has electric sunroof and tow hook. Maybe sunroof was an upgrade but I remember the white tachometer as a district feature of the limited, no idea.
What you said applies for 03' too? Any mechanical differences between sport/limited? (this is what counts)

mindbomb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Welcome I like the color and year! I do have to say... it has sport on the side.... but anyways for offroading. Armor, lift, tires. ARMOR. You will need it :)

Thank you! hehe why do you like the year? was there something special on the 03's over the 04'-07' ones?
(except lack of ESP and modified front grille, AFAIK)

Also - any specific product recommendations on bare bones armor/lift/tires for low budget noob will be greatly appreciated!

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Donno then.. I liked the fact it has electric sunroof and tow hook. Maybe sunroof was an upgrade but I remember the white tachometer as a district feature of the limited, no idea.
What you said applies for 03' too? Any mechanical differences between sport/limited? (this is what counts)

Mechanical no differences just trim basically like mentioned , Limiteds have body color flares etc
For example my 03 and 04 ( green and black ones ) are Sports, my red 05 is a Limited
You must be registered for see images attach

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Thank you! hehe why do you like the year? was there something special on the 03's over the 04'-07' ones?

Also - any specific product recommendations on bare bones armor/lift/tires for low budget noob will be greatly appreciated!

Part of the reason to like the earlier ones was the lack of all of the crazy electronics, 02-03 had a better ******, Plus the 02-04s look better IMO ! :icon_lol:
As far as skids etc, check junk yards, for sale section here and LOSTJEEPs etc

For lift, www.jeepinbyal.com OME lift 850 or so, best deal for the money

CzarKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Same as mine haha. Less stuff to deal with. For off road. Armor, lift, tires. Not cheap though. If you go cheap you pay more in long run. Jeepin by al is your friend.

mindbomb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Part of the reason to like the earlier ones was the lack of all of the crazy electronics, 02-03 had a better ******, Plus the 02-04s look better IMO ! :icon_lol:
As far as skids etc, check junk yards, for sale section here and LOSTJEEPs etc

For lift, JeepinByAl OME lift 850 or so, best deal for the money

I agree on the looks! Great, happy to hear I made the right choice afterall, I was having buyer's remorse why I didn't wait for a deal on a 06' JK which would've cost me about the same as the 03'.

Is this the recommended lift kit you refer?
OME 1.50" lift kit KJ

Also what is the benefit of adding the A-arms (+400$) to the kit?

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
I agree on the looks! Great, happy to hear I made the right choice afterall, I was having buyer's remorse why I didn't wait for a deal on a 06' JK which would've cost me about the same as the 03'.

Is this the recommended lift kit you refer?
OME 1.50" lift kit KJ

Also what is the benefit of adding the A-arms (+400$) to the kit?

06 JK or KJ ??
The OME will give you 2.5 inches of lift when using the 927, 948 spring combo. Stock UCAs work ok up to 3 inches, but they are a great upgrade at 2.5 even
The 03 I am building now only had 81,000 when I bought it last fall, but one of the UCAs was toast anyways so another reason to replace

mindbomb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
06 JK or KJ ??
The OME will give you 2.5 inches of lift when using the 927, 948 spring combo. Stock UCAs work ok up to 3 inches, but they are a great upgrade at 2.5 even
The 03 I am building now only had 81,000 when I bought it last fall, but one of the UCAs was toast anyways so another reason to replace

Yea, I meant the 06' KJ. It has about 35k less miles on it and is the limited trim vs the sport but got no tow or sunroof like the 03'. I understood not ALL 03's has the preferred 45lre ****** though.

btw any idea why does the OME link states 1.5"?