New Keys

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

lfhoward

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

[Rant]

My ‘08 KK came with only one key when I became the owner in ‘11. It’s pretty beat up by now (‘20) and the buttons don’t work. Three years ago I got a pair of cheap EBay keys because at the time I couldn’t afford $250 a piece for new Mopar keys. I took them to the dealer to be cut & programmed, which still cost a bunch of money.

I’m here to say, now, that was a bad idea. One of them broke within a month. The other is now broken. Waste of money.

I just got a pair of new Mopar keys, uncut and unprogrammed, from a Jeep dealer on Ebay for about $250 for the both of them. I figured now that I have more than one key (even if they are crappy), I could use the procedure in the owners manual to reprogram the new Mopar keys. I just need them cut first.

Well, I have been around to several places that cut keys today and they refuse to cut them. I don’t know if it has something to do with touching people’s keys (Covid risk?) or maybe some kind of liability in possibly helping thieves steal cars, but nobody I’ve gone to will cut them. I am clear that yes, I know they are transponder keys, and yes, I only need them cut not programmed, but it didn’t make a difference. Very frustrating.

I know I could go to the Jeep dealer again, but it would be an appointment and maybe another $100+ bucks I don’t want to spend. Why won’t hardware stores cut automotive keys anymore? Ideas?

[/Rant]

lfhoward

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
From the 08 KK Owners Manual:

Customer Key Programming

If you have two valid sentry keys, you can program new sentry keys to the system by performing the following procedure:

1. Cut the additional Sentry Key Transponder blank(s) to match the ignition switch lock cylinder key code.

2. Insert the first valid key into the ignition switch. Turn the ignition switch to the ON position for at least 3 seconds, but no longer than 15-seconds. Then, turn the ignition switch to the LOCK position and remove the first key.

3. Insert the second valid key into the ignition switch. Turn the ignition switch to the ON position within 15 seconds. After ten seconds, a chime will sound. In addition, the Vehicle Security Alarm Indicator Light will begin to flash. Turn the ignition switch to the LOCK position and remove the second key.

4. Insert a blank Sentry Key into the ignition switch. Turn the ignition switch to the ON position within 60 seconds. After 10 seconds, a single chime will sound. In addition, the Vehicle Security Alarm Indicator Light will stop flashing. To indicate that programming is complete, the indicator light will turn on again for 3 seconds and then turn off.

The new Sentry Key is programmed. The Keyless Entry Transmitter will also be programmed during this pro-cedure.

Repeat this procedure to program up to 8 keys. If you do not have a programmed sentry key, contact your dealer for details.

NOTE: If a programmed key is lost, see your dealer to have all remaining keys erased from the systems memory. This will prevent the lost key from starting your vehicle. The remaining keys must then be repro-grammed. All vehicle keys must be taken to the dealer at the time of service to be reprogrammed.

turblediesel

memberable
Reaction score
When I first got my Jeep I tried to get a simple key cut to use on the door since I've locked myself out with the keys inside before; they wouldn't do it. The reason given was that a chipless key can be tried in the ignition a certain amount of times before the computer commits hari-kari and can't be started even with the proper chipped key. Companies that cut keys are OK with recutting a key that doesn't work but they don't want the liability of replacing a computer and paying the dealer reprogram fees and tow charges.

I kept trying different places and found one that would make one for me which I've used several times. The CRDs require a 2 minute, or more, turbo spin-down period before shut down so it's nice to leave the thing running and locked for a quick run into the post office to empty the mailbox.

Homeward_Bound

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've bought a set of flip keys off of ebay for $50. Had a hard time getting them cut until I went to a locksmith who would grind the keys, no computer. Reason being that the one computerized cutter I finally a local hardware store to try would not accept the aftermarket key. It needed some sort of extra security code. So I guess hardware stores with the computer cutter don't want to mess with anything but chipless keys. Keep looking for a non chain locksmith.

Big Al

Let's get Cracken
Reaction score
I've had good luck with using a few guys off of Craigslist in my area. Programmable Key and programming from him was like $60 and I also gave him a key I bought off of eBay to cut that was not programable.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
The "Key" search words .. Auto or Automotive Locksmith.
If you live in a major hub it's a matter of making some phone calls, some are even mobile, and can program them.
I locked myself out once, & that was enough for me. I now carry a flat non programmable in my wallet, & 1 hidden outside on Jeep.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
I would also like to mention a great product for Ignition, door locks, hinges, hood latch etc.
Very long lasting protection & completely prevents locks from freezing !!
Yes it's been TC tested snow covered, even dipping down overnight to -30c !:)
You must be registered for see images attach

sota

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok i'm glad to know i'm not the only ding **** who's locked his jeep's keys in it a couple of times. I don't know what it is about the jeep, but it's happened a lot more as of late.

Jeremy-WI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok i'm glad to know i'm not the only ding **** who's locked his jeep's keys in it a couple of times. I don't know what it is about the jeep, but it's happened a lot more as of late.
I have done that at least once but I have a spare key in the house, one in my locker at work and one hidden inside the Jeep with a key hidden on the outside that can only unlock the door.

I had no issues getting keys cut for it, the local hardware store cut me one without the FOB or chip and cut both of the cheap Ebay replacements with the chip and FOB after telling them they were cheap replacements, not factory

rotary_powered

Reaction score
I've gotten my local home depot to cut a aftermarket key by convincing the guy working it to follow my instructions, your mileage may vary

Had him select on the automated machine to cut a non transponder plain metal key, but when it asked him to insert the blank I had him put in my aftermarket key. I then went and paid for the uncut blank, and all was good

lfhoward

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback, all. I found a local independent locksmith who cut the keys for me for $5 a piece. :)

Once home, I followed the process in the second post above (owners manual) to program them. Both of the new keys work perfectly now. They not only run the Jeep but they also have working buttons! What a concept!! :D

And now that the buttons work, I have my remote starter working again just in time for winter. ;)

If anyone is looking for a remote starter that won’t break the bank and that you can install yourself, here is a write up I did 5 years ago on that.

http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=104&t=81005

Lostintheforest

Reaction score
From the 08 KK Owners Manual:

Customer Key Programming

If you have two valid sentry keys, you can program new sentry keys to the system by performing the following procedure:

1. Cut the additional Sentry Key Transponder blank(s) to match the ignition switch lock cylinder key code.

2. Insert the first valid key into the ignition switch. Turn the ignition switch to the ON position for at least 3 seconds, but no longer than 15-seconds. Then, turn the ignition switch to the LOCK position and remove the first key.

3. Insert the second valid key into the ignition switch. Turn the ignition switch to the ON position within 15 seconds. After ten seconds, a chime will sound. In addition, the Vehicle Security Alarm Indicator Light will begin to flash. Turn the ignition switch to the LOCK position and remove the second key.

4. Insert a blank Sentry Key into the ignition switch. Turn the ignition switch to the ON position within 60 seconds. After 10 seconds, a single chime will sound. In addition, the Vehicle Security Alarm Indicator Light will stop flashing. To indicate that programming is complete, the indicator light will turn on again for 3 seconds and then turn off.

The new Sentry Key is programmed. The Keyless Entry Transmitter will also be programmed during this pro-cedure.

Repeat this procedure to program up to 8 keys. If you do not have a programmed sentry key, contact your dealer for details.

NOTE: If a programmed key is lost, see your dealer to have all remaining keys erased from the systems memory. This will prevent the lost key from starting your vehicle. The remaining keys must then be repro-grammed. All vehicle keys must be taken to the dealer at the time of service to be reprogrammed.
Thanks for posting this, it worked great for me!

Latest posts

Members online