new guy, interesting problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here's another idea I came up with a few years ago-- I'm still thinking of writing an article on it and submitting it to a consumer magazine.

Think of all the stuff you buy in life that the salez kid behind the counter "offers" you an extended warranty on. Would you like the extended warranty with that pair of headphones, sir? For $10, we'll replace it free if it fails two years after the manufacturers warranty. For $85, we offer the extended warranty on the iPod. For $120 we offer an extended warranty for this video cam... for $240 you can purchase our extended warranty on this flat-screen tv.

Speaking for myself, had I purchased every extended warranty ever offered to me, I'd be down somewhere around $8,000-$10,000.

# of times I would have ever benefited from an extended warranty: maybe once. Maybe. I'm being generous.

Imagine everytime you're offered an extended warranty, you ask how much it is, say "no thank you" and go home and transfer the amount of that extended warranty into a special savings account. After ten or fifteen years, you'd probably have a few grand in that account (assuming a few high-dollar items like cars). That money NEVER expires, NEVER disappears when you pass a certain mileage mark. It's a win-win-win.

Always remember, manufacturers offer extended warranties because they don't expect you to use them. Extended warranties are money makers for the seller. That's why they push them so hard.

jnaut...that is an interesting thought on warrenties and I agree with you 100%. Personally, I never buy them on anything even vehicles. I just take the factory warrenty and that is it. My 3/36 is long gone and all I have left now is the 7/70 powertrain.

However, when it comes to vehicles, a lot of people do buy the extra extended warrenty. Probably because of the complexity and cost of vehicle repairs. Then it is a crap shoot as to weather or not it was worth it because you won't ever know until the warrenty period is over. It's like buying some "peace of mind".

Anyway, how about this. The GF's daughter's husband buys vehicles and as soon as the factory warrenty is over he trades it in and gets another new one.......geeeezz.... He is so afraid that he will have a big repair that will not be covered under warrenty. He won't really discuss it but I get the impression he was raked over the coals real good a couple of times on repairs. I wish I had just the money he blows away on depreciation.

People will do whatever feels comphy to them.

Dave

KJ zGal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had a similar sound with my KJ, although it was only when I was coasting--I never noticed it upon acceleration but now I'll have to give a listen next time I take her out. I did some research and found out that the humming was something the specific tires I had on it were known for doing. I know your problem's already been taken care of, but I thought I'd post anyway =] BF Goodrich Radial Long Trail T/A tires as a reference.

As for the warranty thoughts--that is a totally great idea!

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
Anyway, how about this. The GF's daughter's husband buys vehicles and as soon as the factory warrenty is over he trades it in and gets another new one.......geeeezz.... He is so afraid that he will have a big repair that will not be covered under warrenty. He won't really discuss it but I get the impression he was raked over the coals real good a couple of times on repairs. I wish I had just the money he blows away on depreciation.

The solution to that is... LEASING!

trout

Reaction score
I stopped in at Chrysler today to thank the service manager for their assistance with my problem.

I saw my car dealer, and we talked for a second, and I told him about the problem. He started chuckling, and said, "the sweet thing about my job is, no matter what happens, I still get my money, even if you lose 5 grand on repairs!" He then preceded to slap me on the back, softly. Now I know he was joking, but me getting presented with a 600.00 bill is not funny, especially after I bought a 1600.00 warranty for protection. (As I said Chrysler did cover the repair.) I am not a violent person, but those are the type of jokes that just make you want to take a swing at the guy and knock him right between the eyes.

I won't be buying another car from him, that is a certainty. If he makes another joke like that while I am waiting for service on my vehicle, I am afraid I will take a swing and I will be held accountable for my actions, or I will have to step away and call Chrysler to complain. One of the two will definately happen. I dislike car dealers enough as it is, so to be kicked when I am down makes it even worse. My blood pressure must have been through the roof.

CHUD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If he makes another joke like that while I am waiting for service on my vehicle, I am afraid I will take a swing and I will be held accountable for my actions,

See if you can sell him "extended hospitalization warranty insurance" before you deck him.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I stopped in at Chrysler today to thank the service manager for their assistance with my problem.

I saw my car dealer, and we talked for a second, and I told him about the problem. He started chuckling, and said, "the sweet thing about my job is, no matter what happens, I still get my money, even if you lose 5 grand on repairs!" He then preceded to slap me on the back, softly.

I won't be buying another car from him, that is a certainty. If he makes another joke like that while I am waiting for service on my vehicle, I am afraid I will take a swing and I will be held accountable for my actions, or I will have to step away and call Chrysler to complain. One of the two will definately happen. I dislike car dealers enough as it is, so to be kicked when I am down makes it even worse. My blood pressure must have been through the roof.

hahaha, thats pretty funny dude. I wouldnt be very happy if I got slapped with a bill like that then he tried to joke around. Pretty sure I would of made up another joke about how hes going to lose his job since vehicles are not moving. Something like "And Ill still be driving my Jeep when you get laid off!"

trout

Reaction score
hahaha, thats pretty funny dude. I wouldnt be very happy if I got slapped with a bill like that then he tried to joke around. Pretty sure I would of made up another joke about how hes going to lose his job since vehicles are not moving. Something like "And Ill still be driving my Jeep when you get laid off!"

haha. yeah, i guess his joke just caught me off guard because it was so unprofessional. You know when things come outta left field like that, you almost don't believe your ears, you squint your eyes, and you don't know what to say. The joke is on him, however, I won't buy another vehicle from him after that disrespect.

As for our jeep, it is up and running good. I changed out the rear and front rotors and shoes. Piece of cake.

About the ABS, has anyone ever changed those shoes on the rear? I have never had a vehicle with ABS before, so please if anyone has any advice let me know. They look like old drum brakes.

I never did drum brakes on a vehicle as mine have always had discs, so I don't know what I am doing. Please help!

Luke

Interloper
Reaction score
Beautiful GTO! .... I have wanted one since I saw them... Can't buy one at any price north of the border. :mad: