new guy, interesting problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

trout

Reaction score
Hi all, name is Dan, and I am from La Grange Park, IL a suburb of Chicago.

My wife drives 2005 Jeep Liberty 3.7L 4WD, and I am at my wits ends with a problem we are having.

Her Jeep makes a vibrating (Humming like) sound from the front passengers side wheel when coasting and accelerating, but not when applying the brakes. So I am suspicuous that the problem is the brake pads and the rotor rubbing agianst one another. (I searched this forum extensively and could not find a similar problem, but good help for people who have sounds when applying brakes, so if I am posting a similar thread I sincerely apologize in advance.)

This morning I replaced all of the brake pads, and the front rotors on both sides. Took it for a test drive same problem. Inside the caliper there are these anti-rattle springs which I am suspicuous of. Perhaps they are the problem. My question is at this point, has anyone else experienced this problem? If anyone has any suggestions or other ideas, please post them. Are car is still under warranty so, suggest away, because this fix is on Chrysler.

Thanks for reading, and God Bless those who are hosting, posting, maintaining this wonderful site. :)

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So it does not vibrate/hum while your just driving normally down the road? It ONLY does it when you are accelerating and coasting(off the gas)??

Are you in 2wd?

Have you checked the u-joints on the rear Drive Shaft?

If it were warped rotors(pads riding on rotors) it would do it worse when you braked and not when you are accelerating or coasting.

Checked the wheel bearings, Front drive shaft, and cv joints.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Its possible that it would stop when you braked. So it makes the noise while coasting but stops when you hit the brakes?

Check my first post and answer those questions if you can.

How many miles are on the Jeep?

trout

Reaction score
The official Chrysler diagnosis is a bent passengers side rear axle, and the bearing it connects to. So I apologize, but it seems like I was hearing things from the wrong side of the car! :(

I will start by saying I bought this car in IL and I bought the extended 8yr/80,000 mile warranty to handle problems like this. The car was purchased at Continental Jeep in Countryside, IL on 9/23/2008. It had 29K miles and now it is approaching 33k. So I took it to the Ziegler Chrysler dealership in Schaumburg, IL, because I work in Schaumburg and it was convenient. I get a call after an hour or so of waiting, and find out about the rear axle. I leave work at lunch talk to the guy, he says the rear axle was damaged, and only damage would cause this problem. So kaboom, my 1600 dollar extended warranty was a waste of money, and now I have to pay 600 dollars out of pocket to fix this Chrysler Certified Product. I am certain my wife and I did not cause this damage, we are in are middle twenties and have become slow and cautious drivers who know better.

After begging Ziegler Chrysler for help, they eventually decided I go back to the dealer where I bought the car in Countryside, IL (Continental Jeep) and waived all diagnosis fees. I took the car in to Continental, the guy looked it over and said he would call me tomorrow morning to see if it would be covered under warranty. I hope they help me out.

On a side note, this is very discouraging as I wanted to buy a Chrysler product, and this is my first experinece with them for problems, and it has not been good. I drive a pontiac gto 2005 and it has been ok overall. Let me know how you guys feel about my problem with car and warranty, and as soon as I get some info I will post it here. This is my wife's first car out of school and it breaks my heart to see her cry, she loves this little car! Please help me!

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
^^^ If it had a bent rear axle when you bought it, then it sounds like the prior owner might have hit something. Axles don't just bend. There should then be impact marks on the axle. Warrenties typicly don't cover damage from impact no matter what vehicle mfg it is so it is not the jeep's fault or the warrentys' fault or the warrenty company's fault. . So you need to somehow convince them that you didn't do it since it was certified used. The best I think you could hope for is that they will split the cost with you out of good faith if you can't prove it was like that when you got it.

I don't know what to suggest there except keep pressuring them nicely and see what happens. Unless you can get a carfax report to see if it was ever in an accident. But if someone just hit something off road it wouldn't show up then.

Whenever buying a used vehicle it is always a good idea to take it to an trusted independant shop for a thorough evaluation if you can and give it a really good test drive including the 4x4 modes.

I hope you are able to get this resolved in a satisfactory manner.

Dave

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yup, sounds like someone slid into a curb(snow maybe) or got into a wreck. This is by all means not a problem with Jeep, this was done by someone. Like Dave said, axles do not just bend, especially the rear axle on the kj, its no weak axle.

trout

Reaction score
Good news. I was enjoying a ham sandwich in my La-Z-Boy this evening got a phone call at 830 PM CST. They fixed it and it turned out to be the 100 buck deductible charge! What a relief and this has restored my faith in Chrysler as one of the greatest automakers on the face of the earth!

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
Good news. I was enjoying a ham sandwich in my La-Z-Boy this evening got a phone call at 830 PM CST. They fixed it and it turned out to be the 100 buck deductible charge! What a relief and this has restored my faith in Chrysler as one of the greatest automakers on the face of the earth!
They took a gamble, and lost.

$5 says they thought that since

1. You were young
2. May have seemed desperate

You might have just paid them the money. They make more money from cash repairs than they do Chrysler.... it's all about the money. In this case, they lost your cash dollars and even the measly change they get from Chrysler. ***** to be them. :)

Welcome and hang around! Enjoy the Jeep. :D And pics of that GTO are now mandatory. :p

jnaut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The official Chrysler diagnosis is a bent passengers side rear axle, and the bearing it connects to. So I apologize, but it seems like I was hearing things from the wrong side of the car! :(

I will start by saying I bought this car in IL and I bought the extended 8yr/80,000 mile warranty to handle problems like this. The car was purchased at Continental Jeep in Countryside, IL on 9/23/2008. It had 29K miles and now it is approaching 33k. So I took it to the Ziegler Chrysler dealership in Schaumburg, IL, because I work in Schaumburg and it was convenient. I get a call after an hour or so of waiting, and find out about the rear axle. I leave work at lunch talk to the guy, he says the rear axle was damaged, and only damage would cause this problem. So kaboom, my 1600 dollar extended warranty was a waste of money, and now I have to pay 600 dollars out of pocket to fix this Chrysler Certified Product. I am certain my wife and I did not cause this damage, we are in are middle twenties and have become slow and cautious drivers who know better.

Sorry to hear about the extended warranty issues.

I don't buy extended warranties... ever.

Here's why. Extended warranties are bets you're making with the seller. You bet there'll be a really expensive repair, the seller bets there won't be.

Guess who wins that bet 99% of the time. Just like Vegas, the odds are with the house. Yes, you're going to hear anecdote after anecdote of people who were 'saved' by the extended warranty, but it's a matter of numbers. Extended warranties often cost around---ka-ching $1200 to $1600 dollars. And what they cover is deliberately limited to cut out the most expensive types of repairs. Here's what I do. I put $1,200 - $1600 in a personal savings account called "my extended warranty account". I've now got 100%, bumper to bumper guaranteed coverage for up to $1,600. Period.

Even if your repair costs more than that, you've still got guaranteed coverage for the first $1,600 as opposed to 0% coverage if somehow, the seller "discovers" that the miracle problem you happen to have just manages to not be covered by the fine print.

When my Jeep is paid off in Aug of this year, I'm going to make three more payments into my savings account which will be the "jeep extended warranty" account.

Good luck on your problems and I'm truly sorry this is your first experience with a Libby. It's been a great vehicle for me.

Last edited:

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score

Great news. I am surprised, but glad for you.

Dave

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
Sorry to hear about the extended warranty issues.

I don't buy extended warranties... ever.

Here's why. Extended warranties are bets you're making with the seller. You bet there'll be a really expensive repair, the seller bets there won't be.

Guess who wins that bet 99% of the time. Just like Vegas, the odds are with the house. Yes, you're going to hear anecdote after anecdote of people who were 'saved' by the extended warranty, but it's a matter of numbers. Extended warranties often cost around---ka-ching $1200 to $1600 dollars. And what they cover is deliberately limited to cut out the most expensive types of repairs. Here's what I do. I put $1,200 - $1600 in a personal savings account called "my extended warranty account". I've now got 100%, bumper to bumper guaranteed coverage for up to $1,600. Period.

Even if your repair costs more than that, you've still got guaranteed coverage for the first $1,600 as opposed to 0% coverage if somehow, the seller "discovers" that the miracle problem you happen to have just manages to not be covered by the fine print.

When my Jeep is paid off in Aug of this year, I'm going to make three more payments into my savings account which will be the "jeep extended warranty" account.

Good luck on your problems and I'm truly sorry this is your first experience with a Libby. It's been a great vehicle for me.
The problem isn't really the warranty in this case, most likely just like I said... dealership wants cash, and not Chrysler's "reimbursement".

I'll take an authentic Chrysler Service Contract any day. I've purchased a Service Contract from Chrysler and it worked out quite well. So has my mom... saved her behind to the tune of over $5000 in repairs. (And this was back in '96!!!!!!)

But something like a "Warranty Gold".... um, no... no way.

Last edited:

trout

Reaction score
A guy a work with explained the difference in payment between the customer and chrysler. A part of me feels exactly how you do about these extended warranties. I am starting to dislike them. I hate dealing with the dealerships and their nonsense. However I have found, due to the abundance of dealerships and their hardships, you can play this to your advantage, and keep moving from dealership to dealership until you find one who needs the cash bad enough, that they will do the repair. This is inconvenient, and it is a shame that this is a variable. So I have found it is best to jump around, however this takes time. I won't extend my warranty on my GTO. I like the idead the 1600.00 account because it is guaranteed. Being at the mercy of a car dealer is only tolerable when buying a vehicle, and then it is still overwhelming.

On a positive note my wife is very happy, and that makes me very happy. I will upload some pics of the goat shortly, as I am at work.

trout

Reaction score
- As I promised my GTO pic!

This is my 2005 Pontiac GTO LS2 (400HP/400ft/lb.). I bought it brand new in Sept. 2006, at 7,000 smackers off sticker, because they couldn't sell it. I went with auto so my wife could drive it easily.

This was dream car since I heard about it back in 2003. A wonderful car from GM, and so far I have had nothing major go wrong with it and it has just over 18,000 miles on the clock. A real fun car to cruise summer nights away in. A real blessing it has been.

My wife doesn't like it if I stomp on the pedal too hard!!!

Attachments

• n30820348_32901611_1062.jpg
    n30820348_32901611_1062.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 21

jnaut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A guy a work with explained the difference in payment between the customer and chrysler. A part of me feels exactly how you do about these extended warranties. I am starting to dislike them. I hate dealing with the dealerships and their nonsense. However I have found, due to the abundance of dealerships and their hardships, you can play this to your advantage, and keep moving from dealership to dealership until you find one who needs the cash bad enough, that they will do the repair. This is inconvenient, and it is a shame that this is a variable. So I have found it is best to jump around, however this takes time. I won't extend my warranty on my GTO. I like the idead the 1600.00 account because it is guaranteed.

Guaranteed and it... never...expires....

Scenario: Buy extended warranty for 8 year 80,000 miles. After 8 years or 80k, nothing goes wrong with your vehicle. Money in your pocket $0

Alternative: Put $1,600 in an account. 11 years later, nothing has gone wrong with the vehicle. Money in your pocket $1,600 plus interest.

The irony of extended warranties is that you actually hope something goes wrong so you don't feel like you lost $1,600.

Here's another idea I came up with a few years ago-- I'm still thinking of writing an article on it and submitting it to a consumer magazine.

Think of all the stuff you buy in life that the salez kid behind the counter "offers" you an extended warranty on. Would you like the extended warranty with that pair of headphones, sir? For $10, we'll replace it free if it fails two years after the manufacturers warranty. For $85, we offer the extended warranty on the iPod. For $120 we offer an extended warranty for this video cam... for $240 you can purchase our extended warranty on this flat-screen tv.

Speaking for myself, had I purchased every extended warranty ever offered to me, I'd be down somewhere around $8,000-$10,000.

# of times I would have ever benefited from an extended warranty: maybe once. Maybe. I'm being generous.

Imagine everytime you're offered an extended warranty, you ask how much it is, say "no thank you" and go home and transfer the amount of that extended warranty into a special savings account. After ten or fifteen years, you'd probably have a few grand in that account (assuming a few high-dollar items like cars). That money NEVER expires, NEVER disappears when you pass a certain mileage mark. It's a win-win-win.

Always remember, manufacturers offer extended warranties because they don't expect you to use them. Extended warranties are money makers for the seller. That's why they push them so hard.

Last edited:

CHUD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Always remember, manufacturers offer extended warranties because they don't expect you to use them. Extended warranties are money makers for the seller. That's why they push them so hard.

Most everything people sell is a money maker for them. Why would folks be in business otherwise?

It being a gamble notwithstanding, an extended warranty is like any other purchase. You can pay $1200 -$1600 @ the stealer, or you can wait 7 months after purchase until Chrysler sends you an offer for the same warranty @ $575. Granted, these low-price warrantys are usually offered when buying a vehicle brand new. I have done it with my last 2 vehicle purchases and have not regretted it.

trout

Reaction score
A part of me wants to get my money back pro-rated. I do have that option and can apply it to the principle of the vehicle. Anyone know how that works?

sleeve

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I really like extended warranties that cover vehicle electronics...

I am very happy to hear that your selling dealership was able to repair you KJ. They are truely one of the most reliable vehicles I've ever owned. If you keep up with the maintanence, it should last a very long time.