New from Colorado and need advice

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rosgood

Reaction score
My wife and I will be hitting the road full time in our 37' RV and we need a good and reliable car to tow behind. I am looking at a used (private sale) 2007 Liberty Latitude this weekend. It has 123 thousand miles on it and is asking $8,000.

What are specific things to look at on this car as indicators of any issues?
I understand this engine uses a timing chain. Is this true?

If condition is right, is $8,000 a fair price?

Thanks in advance to all.

rosgood

Reaction score
do you know if any major maintenence has been done?

At this time I dont. The owner is running a car fax and says she has all maintenance records for me to review. Are there specific things I should look for or question? Body and interior look good in pictures but they are just pictures.

Thanks for replying

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My wife and I will be hitting the road full time in our 37' RV and we need a good and reliable car to tow behind. I am looking at a used (private sale) 2007 Liberty Latitude this weekend. It has 123 thousand miles on it and is asking $8,000.

What are specific things to look at on this car as indicators of any issues?
I understand this engine uses a timing chain. Is this true?

If condition is right, is $8,000 a fair price?

Thanks in advance to all.

Check the front driveshaft CV. Yes the engine runs on a timing chain which should last longer than the life of the engine. If maintenance records are good, and she looks well kept, I'd check the Blue Book value and try to pull the trigger. Seems pretty high of a price to me, but then again I'm used to seeing the older ones going up for sale.

As for towing, I believe the KJ is a good vehicle for that. T-case in neutral and transmission in park and it can be towed 4-down. At least that's what I think it is. I've never done it, but remember someone saying so once a while ago.

John3seventeen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Check the upper part of the radiator on the drivers side ( the plastic tank) tends to crack and leak. Other than that the normal things you would check on any vehicle i.e. Brakes wheel bearings - listening for strange noises etc. And the maintenance records as mentioned above.

rosgood

Reaction score
Thanks guys. Since I posted last a 2006 Liberty with 57,000 miles on has popped up for $9,700. Does this year have the timing chain or belt. I did ask about the window regulators recalls and they were done. The car is in excellent shape. Any thing else I should be awre of?

Thanks

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys. Since I posted last a 2006 Liberty with 57,000 miles on has popped up for $9,700. Does this year have the timing chain or belt. I did ask about the window regulators recalls and they were done. The car is in excellent shape. Any thing else I should be awre of?

Thanks

All 3.7L of this model are driven by timing chain.

Leeann

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Check to see that the AC works. Check operation of the transfer case. Check for rust underneath if it was parked on grass.

Other than that, all the normal stuff when looking at a used vehicle.