new center caps installed...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AtoB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i know for sure i am OCD..it was bothering me that my dark graphite wheels had brushed aluminum center caps. so, i bought these to replace... the matched color wise perfectly, and snapped no problem... but were a little 'loose' and didn't sit snug... so silicone to the rescue. a little bead around the inner lip and they are fixed and in place.... which leads me to wonder why the hole in the rim's center?? why not just have it filled when cast?

You must be registered for see images

ThunderbirdJunkie

Bronze Supporter
Reaction score
Because you don't balance your tires on the vehicle.

Whoever does your tires next will probably punch you in the throat, just a warning :)

Got pics of your old caps, wish to part with them?

AtoB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Because you don't balance your tires on the vehicle.

Whoever does your tires next will probably punch you in the throat, just a warning :)

Got pics of your old caps, wish to part with them?

i knew there was probably a reason... well, it's just silicone... it will release when pried. i trashed the originals... got lazy, drilled a small hole in each cap, so i could pull them off without removing the whole wheel.

ThunderbirdJunkie

Bronze Supporter
Reaction score
You've got to be ******** ThunderbirdJunkie.

He needed those SOB's(banghead)(banghead)(banghead)

You could've made more than enough to pay for your plastic glued in (and now as-good-as-ruined) centercaps

KJcleveland

Full Access Member
Reaction score
if i had to balance these tires i'd probably just break the center caps. Especially since technicians (myslef included) have the patience of, well, no patience actually. :)

Powerslave

Banned
Reaction score
.......which leads me to wonder why the hole in the rim's center?? why not just have it filled when cast?

If your lugs strip, and say your tire is flat, rim damaged, and the rim is NOT coming off no matter what you think you can do. So, how is the rim coming off? Well, with the center hole, they can remove the HUB with the rim attached, and replace it, so you can get mobile again. They may be able to save the unmangled rim by punching the studs out from the other side too.

Then, there is also a lip around the center hole, it helps center the tire for being mounted back to the hub. The rim can't be filled in at center, because the hub center is raised, lipped, to fit inside the center hole. Ever wonder how much harder it would be to bolt the rim on yourself if there was nothing there to hold it center?

Why is it REALLY there? Probably more than just those two reasons; a place to grab the rim when it's molded, place to hang it to cool off, and whatever MFR sequence they go through.

The Technical: Hub centric wheels have a hole at their center that fits closely over a round feature on the hub, which centers the wheel on the axis of the spindle, as well as bear the vertical weight of the vehicle. The bolts (lug nuts) then only have to secure the wheel onto the hub and are loaded only in tension where they are strong. Factory wheels are all manufactured to fit their specific application exactly, and even some aftermarket wheels as well.

AtoB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If your lugs strip, and say your tire is flat, rim damaged, and the rim is NOT coming off no matter what you think you can do. So, how is the rim coming off? Well, with the center hole, they can remove the HUB with the rim attached, and replace it, so you can get mobile again. They may be able to save the unmangled rim by punching the studs out from the other side too.

Then, there is also a lip around the center hole, it helps center the tire for being mounted back to the hub. The rim can't be filled in at center, because the hub center is raised, lipped, to fit inside the center hole. Ever wonder how much harder it would be to bolt the rim on yourself if there was nothing there to hold it center?

Why is it REALLY there? Probably more than just those two reasons; a place to grab the rim when it's molded, place to hang it to cool off, and whatever MFR sequence they go through.

The Technical: Hub centric wheels have a hole at their center that fits closely over a round feature on the hub, which centers the wheel on the axis of the spindle, as well as bear the vertical weight of the vehicle. The bolts (lug nuts) then only have to secure the wheel onto the hub and are loaded only in tension where they are strong. Factory wheels are all manufactured to fit their specific application exactly, and even some aftermarket wheels as well.

great explanation...thanks

AtoB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No kidding KJ, especially when somebody has the clear presence of mind to drill holes into, rather than take the wheel off, then pop it out.

Which is why ThunderbirdJunkie said:

i had no plans to reuse the old... and to me, my time was more important than preserving the caps... even if i could have made a few bucks

AtoB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
if i had to balance these tires i'd probably just break the center caps. Especially since technicians (myslef included) have the patience of, well, no patience actually. :)
not worried... i know my wheel guys well, been going there for years... i'll just have them take note that they will take a bit more of a push to pop out. sure resealing them will be a bit of a pain, but really, it took me about 2 minutes to do.