"New" 04 Liberty Sport, things to look out for?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Akedos

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm picking up an 04 Liberty Sport, 4WD 5 speed manual, Forest Green... this week. It has 97000 on it. I've been kind of roaming the site for a while, checking out posts here and there and seeing some good things about the KJs. I guess the 5 speed is uncommon, so that's cool... I'm sick of my ****** issues in my Buick anyway.

Anyway, I was wondering what type of things I should look out for with this model or get checked out right away? Any kind of maintenance I might want to have done as the 100k rolls around?

telefunkin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
personally when buying any new vehicle with that many miles I would give it a full service right away. New plugs, air filter and PCV. Check brake pads, rotors and flush the brake lines. New ****** fluid. Have a shop check the battery or just throw in a new one. Differential fluid change and coolant flush. Unless you get service receipts from the seller there is no way to know if any of these were ever done so spend the extra dollars and be sure.

Jo6pak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As telefunkin said, have it given a once over. And make sure the Lower Ball Joint recall has been done.

Congrats on the the "new to you" Libby.

Akedos

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Doing searches I see that Autolites Platinums at .040 are the preferred spark plug, does that seem right? Should I change the wires at this time or is there no reason to? Seems I did wires a lot with other cars of mine. If so does anyone have a recommendation?

As far as the air filter, no problem... might get a K&N, may hold off for now.

No ****** fluid to worry about. Battery is newish... but I'm looking into getting a Yellow Top anyway.

What kind of coolant do Jeeps use? My Buick had dexcool *shudder* and I did a whole coolant flush and change over to Prestone Yellow "Every Type" fluid a few years ago, I don't wanna do that again.

I'll do the differential in warmer weather... no garage for me :(

The only thing I can't find info on is the PCV. Any forum links or help would be appreciated.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
I like to buy lower mileage vehicles with history and that are BCAA inspected. 200 point inspection,before I buy it. You can make offer & have it "subject to" an inspection.
Use inspection as bargaining tool. All vehicles have stuff that needs attention and sometimes costly if you are not aware of it before purchasing.
A 1 hour long city and highway test drive (test 4x4 modes) should be completed.

Inspection may also be able to tell if it has been into an accident before.
We also can have a title and accident check done by insurance co. Dealer has to provide those here (disclosure) also of commercial rental or taxi.
AS mentioned above (without history/bills) all fluids,including transmission & Brake & PS flush. Front & rear diffs,& transfer case. AIr-Filter, spark plugs, front end check (ball joints) brakes exhaust & alignment.

Last edited:

Akedos

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know the last 25000 of history on it. This Jeep was my ex-wife's. The O2 sensors are all new (that was a PITA long story) power steering and A/C compressor are new. Tires new, rotors and brakes recently done. Parking brake replaced 2 years ago.

I did some of the work on it, and I'm aware of any issues she had with it. She can't drive it any more because of her left knee and it being a standard. I didn't do much with it in the last 2 years cause we haven't been together, but I know these maintenance things need done. And I'm new to the Jeep fold :D

I could NOT say no to a KJ for only 5000 either... especially one I knew the condition of.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Go for it unless it'll bring back bad memories....LOL!

Welcome to JKJ as well!

diyman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Doing searches I see that Autolites Platinums at .040 are the preferred spark plug, does that seem right? Should I change the wires at this time or is there no reason to? Seems I did wires a lot with other cars of mine. If so does anyone have a recommendation?

As far as the air filter, no problem... might get a K&N, may hold off for now.

Just IMHO....

You're not going to regret installing OEM NGK plugs ( copper ). Autolites should be OK, but check they're US made!!!
About S.P. wires. Our KJs use ONE coil per cylinder, which are low voltage driven. OE wires and connectors are good
quality and will last a long time. Spare connectors kits ( sold individually) ain't cheap either :eek: and need some work..
Conn's P/N: 05019952AA Wiring, 3 way, about 20 U$ each ( x 6...... )

Do change manual gear shift oil, and use ONLY proper Mopar oil!!!

Again, I know many might disagree.... but, OEM filter element is OK ( and cheaper)!

moparman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just IMHO....

You're not going to regret installing OEM NGK plugs ( copper ). Autolites should be OK, but check they're US made!!!
About S.P. wires. Our KJs use ONE coil per cylinder, which are low voltage driven. OE wires and connectors are good
quality and will last a long time. Spare connectors kits ( sold individually) ain't cheap either :eek: and need some work..
Conn's P/N: 05019952AA Wiring, 3 way, about 20 U$ each ( x 6...... )

Do change manual gear shift oil, and use ONLY proper Mopar oil!!!

Again, I know many might disagree.... but, OEM filter element is OK ( and cheaper)!

Agreeing about the OEM air filter. I had the K&N drop in and gave it up. No HP or MPG advantage. It's not cheaper until several cleanings go by. If you have time to wash, dry and oil the filter, go for it. I found it tiresome. If I were to shop again for a washable, re-usable filter, it would be a dry one.

Akedos

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Okay, so I guess plugs are up to me then.

As far as the air filter, I had a K&N once before and I did get sick of the constant oiling... but I did find one called a "Pro Dry S OE Replacement Air Filter 31-10072 aFe" or something along those lines, that doesn't use oil. I think I may step up to that. I plan on having the Jeep for a while so investing in it early will be my best money option.

I've never done a Manual Gear Shift Oil change, and searches on the subject reveal nothing. I had one stick shift long ago, but I don't recall doing service to it... have a thread on the topic? I may have to delve into the service manual.

Doublecardan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have a good look at the rear of the jeep near the top rear brake light, look for signs of rust as this was a weak area on the vehicle. if you have an evic with tpms, then the batteries in the tires are probably close to being on their last legs unless they have been changed already. Other than that, its a great vehicle and i dont regret buying mine, especially at this time of the year, 450 cm of snow and counting, not all at once mind you.

rockymountain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Make sure you use the right fluids. Most important for you is HOAT coolant. If you use anything else something will get fubar-ed. Get ATF +4 for the transfer case. HOAT coolant is pink and I've never found it in a normal store. I got some from the dealer. Just use the manual and you will get the right fluids.