need to improve mpg!!! i average 13.8 mpg

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Therian

Reaction score
Yeah it's called colder temps,short trips,and higher speeds.

Pretty normal mpg's for all of the above in a KJ.
Glad that isn't normal for me...18mpg city 21 highway (65-75mph and 2-3mpg difference in winter). Though I drive 40 miles to work and back everyday so my engine typically stays cleaner than city drivers with short trips.

Last edited:

Adam Roby

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yep, gotta get those revs up and moving on down the road

Isn't that counter intuitive? What's the logic, being under 2000 you are under the power band so the engine forces too much? Would a re-gear benefit a non lifted KJ? I don't drive fast by nature, and the cops around here are terrible (not to mention those dumb automatic speed traps), so at 100 kph I am well under 2000 rpm mark at all times. The transmission shifts too quickly if it should stay above 2000...

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Isn't that counter intuitive? What's the logic, being under 2000 you are under the power band so the engine forces too much? Would a re-gear benefit a non lifted KJ? I don't drive fast by nature, and the cops around here are terrible (not to mention those dumb automatic speed traps), so at 100 kph I am well under 2000 rpm mark at all times. The transmission shifts too quickly if it should stay above 2000...

Under 2000 lugging down the motor more when taking off etc
On ramps etc I kick it and go, don't moseys up to 75 , I'm there ! LOL

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
^^^I just get in it and go. My KJ is too heavy and too far off the ground with big feet. It is gonna get crappy fuel econony. It gets what it gets. It is not a cutesy little 40 mpg puddle jumpin and tip-towin down the road queen.

Dave

wheeee32

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I pulled 19 mpg yesterday for a 7 hour round trip. I would have cracked 20-21 if I had taken it easy.:gr_grin: I tend to leave O/D off until about 50. She gets a couple of full throttle hits up to redline a week just to stretch her legs.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
I pulled 19 mpg yesterday for a 7 hour round trip. I would have cracked 20-21 if I had taken it easy.:gr_grin: I tend to leave O/D off until about 50. She gets a couple of full throttle hits up to redline a week just to stretch her legs.

Taking it easy does not make for a " fun trip "
Getting ready to run from Central Ohio down to North Carolina in a few days
oil change, tires rotated, new plugs, set all 4 shocks up a bit firmer for the West Virginia turn pike fun run, ( love the curves and hills ) just about ready