Need to get side steps (rails)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BluPhant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well everyone, here's a Jeep upgrade that I don't really want to do, but I need to. My older daughter is now 4, and has mild Cerebral Palsy. It's very difficult for her to get in and out of the Liberty. I'd worked out a barter with another forum member for some pull-off side steps from a Renegade, but its been some time now, and I've pretty much given up on it.

My budget is pretty limited, and the entire purpose for these would be for my daughter-- I'm not likely to do off-roading with my KJ anytime soon.

I found these on Ebay for $150 shipped.... They're not MOPAR, they're aftermarket but they look ok I think.
You must be registered for see images attach

Let me know what you think - looking for opinions on what others have done, particularly if anyone has used this specific model, or if anyone knows of a good deal for me.

Thanks-

-Blu

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yep. They look great. I hope it helps your little girl. Check if they require drilling, which seems to be hassle, especially when these ebay sellers don't like to include good instructions or tempates...

BluPhant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've emailed them to ask about installation. You're right hyedipin - I don't want to have to deal with drilling. We'll see what they say.

I think shy of finding a trashed renegade at a local junkyard, this is probably about as good a deal as I'll find.

-Blu

BluPhant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
meebe I shoulda read more lol

"This offer includes a pair of step boards and complete mounting kits and instructions. Mounting brackets are custom made for this vehicle not an universal type. No cutting and drilling required."

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just make sure they are strong enough to hold her. I'm going to remove the Nerf bars that were on mine. My wife weighs like 130 lbs and I weigh 190 and they creak and moan when stepped on, I’m not sure how well they’d hold up to being used a lot. With the special cargo you got there, I’d install them, then jump and down on them a little before letting her use them. As for looks, I think the ones pictured looks great!

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
We've got F150 and even their step bars creak a bit when you step on it and flex. So it is not the matter of creaking or flexing, but if it holds well. You may want to ask them what is the weight limit or rating. Generally more mounting points mean sturdier. I guess any step bar should be strong enough, don't you think? Just be cautious of it. You don't want it separating. It is ebay afterall.

BluPhant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ordered em up today, we'll see what happens. They tell me that it doesnt require any drilling so hopefully it will work out ok.

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
OK, best of luck. I have some $$ itching in my paypal acount. I hope you can take some pictures of those as your receive and install, and keep us posted. But please make them look as ugly as possible so I don't get tempted.
You must be registered for see images

BluPhant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just arrived (Whilest I was in the shower @ 7:35am) Go figure. Never had a package delivered that early before.

Anyway, long as the weekend weather holds out, I'll prolly mount em up this weekend.

-Blu

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, looking forward to seeing it.

BluPhant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Will do. The directions look pretty rudimentary. Havent popped open the box w/ the actual steps yet, but the brackets look well designed, and very solid. Will try and take some pix as I go (Daytime pix with the d40.. yaay!)

-Blu

BluPhant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Went to install today... took pictures as I went... got the drivers side brackets mounted, put the rail on, noticed little dent.... I was going to overlook it until I saw the second rail... it's completely bent. Must have been a shipping problem - guessing the carrier really hurled it, because these things seem really sturdy.

So I have one rail mounted, and the supports for the passenger side, an email has been sent to see what to do. I'll follow up with a phone call tomorrow.....

Wish me luck!

-Blu

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Amazes me what some people can do to a product when shipping it.

We bought a gas-fire place from lowes once. Got it home and couldnt find the grill that goes on the front of it. Ended up being bent in half under the fire box! Idiots

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sorry to hear about that. What was it shipped with? And was it in a box, if the box was OK you can't do much about it, probably they shipped it like that. Best of luck with it, and I hope you can get a replacement soon.

BluPhant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
All the parts laid out (besides the rails). Note the one sheet of instructions.

All is going well, working on the drivers side, found the correct place for the bolts, plastic washers (more like spacers) installed....

Front drivers bracket, all bolted in. So far so good.

Rear drivers side. The bolt on top of this picture is from the car. There was not enough meat on the threads to include a lockwasher :/ I ratcheted it down as hard as I could, and it really seems solid.

And the drivers side is done. Note the little dimple (just barely visible) towards the front on the inside (door) edge.

Closeup of how the rails attach to the supports. (front drivers side)

Closeup of rear drivers side.

This is where it went bad. Got everything installed on the passengers side, went to install the rail, and found this.

So I took one last shot, and called it a day.

BluPhant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just called over to the seller (Hunter 4x4) and was told that the only way to resolve would be via email. Email sent yesterday, awaiting reply....

Dang.

-Blu