need new tires, recommendations?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jakewire

Reaction score
bought my used 04 libby that had the original goodyear wrangler sra's that still have 4/32 left on them @ 40k miles but i don't want to go into winter with them.

my libby 4x4 is stock, no mods lifts etc. tire size is p235 70r16

i'm looking for something with an agressive tread pattern that will handle well in wet and snow conditions. don't care if the tires are noisy on the highway.

my baby girl will be driving my libby shortly and i want to make sure she is driving on some good tires.

thanks!
jake

CRD4Liberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've been running Nokian Vatiivas, 245/70 X 16 on my CRD for two years now, love them for what you need them for. Nokian builds the icon no stud winter tire and it has a tread pattern much like a Vatiiva, but the rubber is much softer.
If there is a tire of this type out there that comes stock with more full depth traction siping, for good rain/snow traction, I haven't seen them. They are also as quiet as the stockers.

LibertyOrDeath

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I vote for Goodyear Wrangler ST, best tires ever made assuming you like getting zero traction in the rain.

For an AT I've used Kelly Safari Trek and Toyo Open Country A/T with no complaints.

C.W.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Firestone destination mt....excellent tire (but noisy esp. at lower speeds), and very difficult to find unless you are ordering online.

kjfan18

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I love my Yokohoma Geolanders AT-s. They are great in the snow and ice, but I havent had much time with them on the trails. Alot of people run these tires. I also like the Bridgestone Duelers AT's.

Reaction score
i am mostly stock with 225 75 r16 pirelli scorpion ATR's. i love them. i reccomend 235 75 r16 so you get a little bigger tire but still keep stock width

welby

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dunlop RVXT

Have served me great in Michigan winters. I've gotten very good treadwear out of them and they're only a couple of pounds heavier than the stock Goodyears. They look great and have impressed me on and off road.

jakewire

Reaction score
i reccomend 235 75 r16

according to the wiki, http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Jeep_Liberty/Tires_&_Rims , that would cause some rubbing with out a lift.

i would like to go wider/bigger but rubbing can't be a good thing imo.

according to ratings those firestone destination a/t's get a very high rating and at $99 a piece a very good price.

thanks 2 all !
jake

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I love my Yokohoma Geolanders AT-s. They are great in the snow and ice, but I havent had much time with them on the trails. Alot of people run these tires. I also like the Bridgestone Duelers AT's.

I also run these tires and love them. They are a bit soft so dont expect them to last but the grip is great.

An awesome site to check out reviews is tirerack.com. :)

jakewire

Reaction score
An awesome site to check out reviews is tirerack.com.

that is where i found the 100% rating on the firestones.

jake

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
GoodYear Wrangler Silent Armor

I had the stock Goodyear wrangler HP which were worn out at 35,000miles, which were real useless in the rain.
My Rocky Mountain 04 came with chrome clad 17's in 235 and decided to Use GoodYear Wrangler Silent Armor in 245-65R-17. (no lift no rubbing) Before I bought anything I wanted to compare the sidewall thickness of the tires. The forterra's were good but the Silent Armors were way thicker than almost anything other than a 10 ply truck tire. So mounted up the Silent Armor and what a difference. All grip in most any conditions. Could stop in 2 WD on steep upward slope on gravel and not spin them going easy from stop was awesome. Rain, no more slipping.
I appreciated these tire after running over a broken glass bottle with sharp chunks, no damage, no flat, that was a relief that night.
http://www.goodyear.ca/goodyeartireselectorca/display_tire.jsp?prodline=Wrangler+SilentArmor&mrktarea=Light+Truck

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Firestone Destination ATs are a good tire, ride and wear good
Kumho KL78s great tire for the money have over 25000 and still over half tread and even good off road as long as not a lot of mud
go with 245-70s better size for the KJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the Firestone Destination AT's (255/70/16's) and love them. I aslo put a set on the wife's Ford Escape (235/70/16's)

Carlo

Reaction score
I mean the H/T's, I like the look of the A/T,s but I dont think she would apreciate the added noise. The H/T's should do a better job than the Goodyears the came on the car, 2006 Limited with the 17" rims

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I mean the H/T's, I like the look of the A/T,s but I dont think she would apreciate the added noise. The H/T's should do a better job than the Goodyears the came on the car, 2006 Limited with the 17" rims

:confused:

Carlo

Reaction score
the KJ belongs to my wife, its a Limited with leather interior, sunroof, traction control, tow package, 6 disk cd, blue tooth hands free.

Last edited:

Members online