Need input on new set of tires.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bulldog194

Reaction score
I have an '06 Liberty Sport with 10,500 on the clock. By the way this is my 2nd Liberty - previous one was an '03 Sport and turned in with 48,000 on the clock.

Anyway to the task at hand. I absolutely hate the stock Goodyear ST 225/74SR16's. They are all over the place in the wet and flat dangerous on snow.

Researching my options on the 'Tire Rack' site I am considering either the Pirelli Scorpion ATR in 24570TR16 or the Bridgestone Dueler A/T Revo in 245/70sr16.

Majority of driving is highway 90% with some 10% off road but do not want any trouble when off road. That is the reasoning for the A/T type tire.

Any input on this potential purchase will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Ken

PS. Running stock 16X7 alloy wheel.

Last edited:

sgoat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bulldog,
Those were among many I looked at while I was "disposing" of my Wrangler ST's. I wound up with the Yokohama Geolander AT/S (not the ATII) and am very pleased. The price is right and it's rated very high. Many other forum members run these and seem to be satisfied. Worth a look. I'm sure with whatever you wind up with, you'll notice quite a difference in performance over the OEM's. Enjoy!

fdems

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The A/T's Give a more rugged appearance and have wider sipening ability to get rid of mud and water in off-road conditions they also serve well on the road. But if you do a majority of highway driving I may suggest an all-season tire, you will have improved handling, responsiveness, less noise than an A/T primarily cause they are made for the pavement. I have the Bridgestone Dueller H/L Alenza 235/70/16 and they are the best all-season tire I ever owned ( trust me I went through alot of tires ) but if you need a more aggressive tire then the Bridgestone A/T Revo's could be for you, Good choice in widening the tire the 225's are really not the right tire for the LIBERTY, 235's will fit perfect and the 245/70/16 should be no problem either, Good Luck...

Last edited:

paullgj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Recommen Yokohama Geolandar

I got my Liberty about a month ago - had Discount Tires mount Yokohama Geolandar 245/70-16. So far no rubbing and they make the vehicle and steering feel more direct and stable. I also looked at Bridgestone Revo's but they were $200 more expensive.

One thing I'll say about the Geolandars, the sidewall seems strong. It doesn't have that radial "bow" like I've seen in a lot of tires. The 245/70 x 16 size gives a good visual look to the Liberty - neither spindle-leg or bull-dog over-tire - just sort of muscular.

kayadog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This month's Peterson's 4Wheel Drive and Offroad Magazine has a positive review of the Scorpions. Interesting tread pattern.

A lot of people like the General Grabber AT2 and they are $87 in 245/70r16 from Tirerack.com

bulldog194

Reaction score
After extensive looking I went with Bridgestone H/L Alenza's size 245/70x16. Fit like a glove and improve overall look of the Liberty.