Need Help.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

FrenchCamp49er

Full Access Member
Reaction score
About two weeks ago I started to hear a rattle sound, like a rock was stuck in something, only happens when moving, then today I was on a gravel road shifted into 4HI and something began to pop very loud when I accelerated, like it was not getting into gear. Any ideas?

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Check the front drive shaft. Sounds like the cv joint in it has went bad. Also check the cv joints coming out of the diff on each side.

FrenchCamp49er

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had it serviced in Feb. 2008, just crawled under and on the back of the transfer case one of the plugs is missing. Time to get pissed at the dealer.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh man, thats a sad story for sure! :(

Cant believe they would leave a plug off. :eek:

To check the part that I was talking about. The front drive shaft comes out of the front of the tcase on the drivers side. If you needed to check it you would of needed to make sure it didnt have any play in the vertical or horizontal plane. Rotational movement is normal. Also check the rubber boot going into the tcase on the drive shaft and the boot close to the front diff.

Last edited:

FrenchCamp49er

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's gone It looks like two on the back on the front drive side, the top one is missing. Has anyone ever heard of one just falling out?

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nope. Unless it was left out or just barely put in, a properly torqued fill plug would not just fall out/work its way out.

jnaut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good question, French... it depends on how recently you had it serviced. If it was fairly recent I think the odds should be good. My guess is they may try the old "Hey, let's split the repair!" concept. But at face value, this sounds pretty much in their court.

FrenchCamp49er

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I called, told the Service Manager that I had the service done if stated that I did, and when I told him what I found he said OOPS !!!!, you need to bring it in ASAP, did not indicate if he was going to pay for it though.

jnaut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I called, told the Service Manager that I had the service done if stated that I did, and when I told him what I found he said OOPS !!!!, you need to bring it in ASAP, did not indicate if he was going to pay for it though.

Excellent. Glad to hear it. Good luck on the repairs. Hope you won't be w/o your jeep too long!