Need help with driver side upper control arm

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AJ9P

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I finally got the parts I needed to do the front end of the Liberty. I have old man emu socks and coils, and I have jba upper control arms. I got the passenger side done. And I started on the drivers side. When I realized the rear bolt for the upper control arm is underneath the upper cylinder. Any help you can give to help get that bigger out would help. Thanks
You must be registered for see images attach

A

Gyro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Several long extensions and maybe a swivel.
Your ratchet should be out in front of the ps pump.

Gyro

Johnny O

Just hangin' out.
Reaction score
You can pull the grill for easier access with the long extensions. There are a number of how to vids on YouTube.

DadOSix

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Battery and tray out. Clears up some space. Long extension and a universal swivel. It looks kinda sketchy but it works. Just did my 04 a few weeks ago. Youtube had the wisdom to pull the battery and tray for a clear shot. Otherwise it looks almost un-doable

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Have done over 40 sets of JBA UCAs , long extension with one swivel with ratchet out by radiator
12-15 minute job after battery etc out of the way
Battery tray etc out as DadOSix stated

AJ9P

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I live in the salt belt, the bold didn’t want to budge. I doused it with penetrating oil, and I’ll try tomorrow

wheeee32

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Battery and battery tray I removed when I did the drivers side. Extensions and patience got it for me. I also used penetrating oil the night before on everything that was going to be unbolted so the job was slightly easier.

David A. Warr

Reaction score
I live in the salt belt, the bold didn’t want to budge. I doused it with penetrating oil, and I’ll try tomorrow
Most likely you’ll have to cut the bolts off inside the wheel well. It took me about an hour and a half to do that. I had no reciprocating saw. But I have one now.

Robochop

Robochop
Reaction score
I also took the 2 nuts off for the steering rod. You can't remove it, but you can move it out of the way. Enough to get a ratchet and socket on it! You cane see the 2 nuts to the right of the strut.

CGI

Reaction score
So I finally got the parts I needed to do the front end of the Liberty. I have old man emu socks and coils, and I have jba upper control arms. I got the passenger side done. And I started on the drivers side. When I realized the rear bolt for the upper control arm is underneath the upper cylinder. Any help you can give to help get that bigger out would help. Thanks
You must be registered for see images attach

A
Hello,
I did it from underneath with ratched with car elevated. Just enough space. Works if bolt are not stuck.

KKinTexas

Reaction score
I had an '03 and it lived 180+ miles in the rust belt. The passenger side is much easier than the driver side. Mine was rusted solid. I tried everything including an air hammer. Problem is it rusts to the sleeve in the bushing of the UCA. Ended up using a sawzall to cut the bolt, took 10 minutes like David Warr stated.

David A. Warr

Reaction score
I had an '03 and it lived 180+ miles in the rust belt. The passenger side is much easier than the driver side. Mine was rusted solid. I tried everything including an air hammer. Problem is it rusts to the sleeve in the bushing of the UCA. Ended up using a sawzall to cut the bolt, took 10 minutes like David Warr stated.
Yes, because I didn’t have a sawzall I had to use a hacksaw in my hand moving it back and forth about an inch at a time.

AJ9P

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So when i put the bolts back on, is ok to use anti-sieze on them? Thanks

AJ9P

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Really can’t comment on Ohio Tom. Don’t live there. Lol. The nut came off. Bolt is stuck fast. Debating if it’s ok trying to heat the control arm end to see if I can get it to pop out. Thoughts?

David A. Warr

Reaction score
I put Anti-seize on my bolts. Why wouldn’t you? However, my Jeep is 18 years old. It isn’t likely to ever need another upper control arm.

Latest posts

Members online