Need Help! Sunroof Fix

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ayosick

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So thanks to one of the members on the forum,ChiefRudy, I was able to figure out what is loose on my sunroof. Here is a picture of it.
You must be registered for see images attach

He said that it is a cross beam to add support. I dont have any idea how to fix it, but it is loose and bounces and makes noise every time I hit a bump in the road. II have a week off between classes and figured this would be a good project to do. Any ideas on how to get into the internal workings of the sunroof to fix it? Any help is appreciated.

Andynator

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You have to drop the whole headliner and pull it out through the tailgate opening. You still will not be able to pull out the entire sunroof module, but you may be able to detach it from the inside of the roof and drop it down far enough to be able to tinker with it. The sunroof module assembly is inserted as a unit through the windshield opening before the glass is installed.

Edit - the whole mess looks something like this:

http://carphotos.cardomain.com/ride_images/4/201/781/38000390210_large.jpg

Last edited:

ayosick

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the words on encouragement... ha ha. I dont know what to do. It is right next to the opening. I might be able to reach it, but I dont know what to do from there.

flyingpuma

Reaction score
i actually was just taking my sunroof apart today because it got jammed somehow. i was able to remove the cross beam from outside the jeep. what you do is open up the cover for the sunroof on the inside, and make sure the sunroof is closed, and then remove just the glass from the sunroof module by removing the four hex or star screws from the inside. there are two on the right side of the glass and two on the left side. once you remove those just push up on the glass and pull it out from up top. then all you have to do is stand on the door sill or wherever you can get a good vantage point and look inside the sunroof from on top. thats where i was able to unscrew it and remove it.

hope that helps.

ThunderbirdJunkie

Bronze Supporter
Reaction score
ayo, it's not that hard. Just a bit of work.

You can do it man! You're going to a tech school and you're gonna be an engineer, right? Engineers design things, right?

All ya have to do is think like an engineer and you'll have it out in no time :D

kb0nly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ayo, it's not that hard. Just a bit of work.

You can do it man! You're going to a tech school and you're gonna be an engineer, right? Engineers design things, right?

All ya have to do is think like an engineer and you'll have it out in no time :D

But engineer's only think of how to design stuff so its a PITA to take apart. If they actually took it apart then they would design it differently.... LOL

ChiefRudy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was just looking at that pic from the second post and I can't believe how far back that support beam is. I was able to push back the sun roof interior cover and when I was able to see the cross bar and just stuck my hand in only 3 or 4 inches and pulled it out b/c it wasn't attached to anything. Maybe Chrysler didn't know what loc-tite back was back then lol

ThunderbirdJunkie

Bronze Supporter
Reaction score
But engineer's only think of how to design stuff so its a PITA to take apart. If they actually took it apart then they would design it differently.... LOL

Hopefully ayosick will learn that by doing this and become a good engineer

peepwall.gif

ayosick

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The only reason I was concerned, is because I dont want to **** shit up. I just wanted to get some advice if there was something easy to do before I messed something up