Need help determining what this code means

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

yoda13

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK, check engine light came on and I got this code--P 0442-- what the hell does that mean. I ran it next to the list of codes over in the how to section and I need to know if I need to read it as error code 42, as stated in the list, or if this is something different entirely. If it is something different entirely, what exactly does it mean? :-s

BluPhant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
According to the junk I posted in the how-to forum
Code 42:
An open or shorted condition detected in the auto shutdown relay circuit.
An open condition detected in the ASD relay output circuit.
An open or shorted condition detected in the fuel pump relay control circuit.
An open circuit between PCM and fuel gauge sending unit.
Circuit shorted to voltage between PCM and fuel gauge sending unit.
No movement of fuel level sender detected.

In reality, dunno what it means, but maybe that will help isolate it? Good luck bro, let us know what u find.

-Blu

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
0442 A leak has been detected in the evaporative system!

Yup, that's it... (almost) the same list I have in the garage, lol.

2003KJ

Reaction score
What is this list you have?

I know a buddy of mine (who has been in the mechanic biz for a while) bought one of the scanners a while back. And he got a book with it listing all the codes, and I have this site I found, but what's this list you have and where did you get it?

2003KJ

Reaction score
I remember that site a while back......I think thats how I stumbeled upon about.com's list.

i think those codes are for OBD-I, which was pre 1996. I also think thats why nobody can get the ignition on off on off on off thing to work any more. I think it's cause that was an OBD-I thang, and OBD-II has about a bazillion more codes.....lol

BluPhant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Okey doke, I've updated the how-to to reflect the info from this thread. Thanks for the info!

I misread the first post, thought it was 42, not 442. Doh!

-Blu

yoda13

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2003KJ said:
I remember that site a while back......I think thats how I stumbeled upon about.com's list.

i think those codes are for OBD-I, which was pre 1996. I also think thats why nobody can get the ignition on off on off on off thing to work any more. I think it's cause that was an OBD-I thang, and OBD-II has about a bazillion more codes.....lol

doing the on-off thing three times is how I got my codes.

yoda13

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I called the stealership and they confirmed for me that it was a leak in the evaporative system. Now I ask you guys, I have absolutely no clue what that is. Is this a serious problem? Can I drive my Jeep until I get it fixed, or do I need to park it and get it fixed ASAP? Anyhelp figuring out exactly what this and how urgent it is would be appreciated. \:D/

04RkMtnKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I called my brother but he didnt answer. My first guess from that code would be the gas cap loose. Did you fill up recently?

Posted too soon. My brother just called me back and said more than likely it was the gas cap that was left loose. Now if you check it and lighten it the light may not go off right away. It takes up to 3 good cycles before the light goes off which means start up to warm three times without it deeing that leak again. However when the light goes off the code will still be stored in the computer until it is erased either with the DRBIII or disconnecting the battery.

As far as being unsafe to drive with the engine light on unless the light is flashing constantly it usually is ok. If the light is flashing it means it is something for serious normally with emissions ie the cat or O2 sensor.

yoda13

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Man, I should have thought about the gas cap...I will check that out :-k

Could that cause a leak in the evaporative system?

04RkMtnKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That is one of the most common causes of the that code being thrown. When a customer would bring there car in and I would see that code the first thing I would do is check the gas cap. 99% of the time sure enough it was loose.

2003KJ

Reaction score
Rule of thumb, give the gas cap atleast 3 clicks before you walk away from it.

I can never get the on off on off on off method to work on mine. How long should I wait between on and off?

yoda13

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just did mine in one continuous motion to get it to work.

grogiefrog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nice job guys! =D>

I had this happen one time with my Honda. Luckily a guy at the dealer didn't charge me to read the codes.

yoda13

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK, so I filled the gas tank, and made sure the cap was on tight and proper, which I am not sure it was before. Then I went home and disconnected the battery so that the computer would reset. Now we shall see if that was the problem. 25 miles so far, and the light hasn't come back on, so I am keeping my fingers crossed. But we shall see. hmmm.gif

04RkMtnKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Normally it will take 3 consecutive cycles for the computer to turn on the light. Cycles being starting cold and driving untill fully warm. It does this because the light would constantly be on if it warned you of every little thing it sensed. The computer knows if it sees something 3 times in a row there must be something wrong.