Need help... Cannot get transfer case out of part time 4!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Black03Limited

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Last night driving home on a dirt road, it was raining lightly, so I put the liberty in full time 4 to help with traction. I thought it engaged because it usually doesn't put up any fuss. When coming to the main paved road, after pulling on to it about 10 seconds or so later, it started grinding. So I figured it just never fully engaged for whatever reason. So I decided to just throw it back into 2wd and be done with it. Grinding didn't go away. So I stopped and put it in reverse and drove backwards for 20 to 30 feet and then forward. Still grinding. Tried several more times with no results. Decided to drive forward until I cleared the slight hill I was on. Once going downhill it felt like it disengaged. So I thought it was over.

It came back a minute later. Tried it in part time 4 and the grinding went away. So I drove it back home with no problems. Today, still fine in part time, and still can't get it into 2wd. Still grinds. Won't go into 4wd full time either. Full time is even worse. It makes a horrible whining noise when in drive or reverse. Only goes away in neutral or park. Tires look fine, added air to yen today and evened them out. Still no luck. Pulled fill plug off of transfer case and ATF poured out so I put it back on. Plenty of fluid in transfer case.

I even brought it to a dirt parking lot by my house again today and tried he forward/reverse and tapping the gas and brakes. Nothing. Any ideas what happened? What can I do? I don't want to keep it in part time when on dry roads. Eventually something will break. This is very frustrating. I'm afraid that even if I get it back into 2wd, when I go to use it again his winter it wil do the same thing. Please help!

Black03Limited

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Checked out the linkage and bushings. They look ok to me. Had my wife shift the lever while I was underneath and it seemed to shift just fine. Any other ideas what it might be?

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Check your tire pressure,they must be all the same and all 4 of your tires must be within 4/32" of each other(tread depth) as all of these will make shifting the 242 t-case a nightmare.If that's all good check the fluid level and condition as this will cause shifting issues also.

The 242 does not use a direct shift mechinism,inside the t-case it uses check balls and springs to actually shift the t-case and everything must be perfect before it shifts like intended.

Black03Limited

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just took it down the road and tried shifting to and from 2wd, 4 part time, and 4 full time with the transmission in neutral. Tried it while moving. I think I tried it in neutral while sitting still in my car port earlier. I've never had it act like this before. Completely stumped. What about low front differential fluid? Could that be causing it?

Black03Limited

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Tjkj, I filled the tires to 35 psi each this afternoon with no luck. I will see if there is a lot of difference with tread depth. Also checked the transfer case fluid earlier today too. Fluid poured out when I removed the fill plug. So transfer case fluid was up to the correct level. I'll go check tread depth now.

Last edited:

Black03Limited

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, after checking the tread depth, at least on the driver's side, I think there is about 1/8" difference between the front and back tires. I guess that's my problem. So now what? Are new tires the only answer? Or is there some sort of trick I can do? I'm not sure how 4wd gears work/engage, but what if I put all 4 wheels up off of the ground and tried shifting it and hitting the gas and brakes? Do you think I could manipulate it that way? Or Is there no way that will work? I would at least like to just get it back to 2wd for now.

J-Thompson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you are willing to go through the
trouble then you could jack the Jeep
up at all 4 corners
put the trans in N
spin the front tires by hand while trying to
shift to 2wd
I think you have a linkage issue and this will not help
I have seen many people "force" t-cases out on
the trail and get "stuck" in a position
the worst is getting the t-case stuck in N
it has been a few years but IIRC
you can get under the Jeep and shift the t-case
with plyers or vice grips

Black03Limited

Full Access Member
Reaction score
J-Thompson, so you are thinking the linkage is just not shifting it all the way and by shifting it by hand, I can get it to move completely into position? If it does turn out to be the linkage, i assume it's adjustable because it is a cable?

J-Thompson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is it?
I know way more about TJ/YJ when it comes to
this stuff but I thought that they all had a a lever
never the less the cable housing could be damaged
or the cable it self is bad

Black03Limited

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok, got under the jeep, checked out the transfer case shift cable. Seems to be secure and tight. Attached to the shift lever securely too, as far as I can tell. Tried to push the lever forward (backward?) towered the rear of the vehicle because I think the last positiOn in that direction would be 2wd. Couldn't move it by hand. Also couldn't get my arm up far enough to get a very good grip on it.

I tried jacking up the front two wheels to relieve some of the force on the drivetrain. I put the shifter into the 2wd position and lowered the vehicle back down. Went for a test drive but it still didn't want to go into 2wd.

I noticed only part time 4 and 4 low seem to want to work. 2wd and full time 4 always grind. Full time 4 grinds and whines really bad. Could it be possible that whatever allows the front and rear wheels to spin at different speeds is broken, hence only the modes that have both locked want to work? I think I've just about run out of options. Does this look like a job for a dealer/mechanic?