Need Help broken front wheel

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Anthonywiley

Reaction score
What parts do we need to buy from rockauto. This is my 17yr old daughter's jeep. This happened today when she was backing out of the driveway. I don't know anything about cars and need some help.

Attachments

• IMG_4106.jpg
    IMG_4106.jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_4107.jpg
    IMG_4107.jpg
    102 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_4105.jpg
    IMG_4105.jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_4104.jpg
    IMG_4104.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_4109.jpg
    IMG_4109.jpg
    846.3 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:

LibertyFlip

...Decided To Keep It
Reaction score
What parts do we need to buy from rockauto. This is my 17yr old daughter's jeep. This happened today when she was backing out of the driveway. I don't know anything about cars and need some help.
The part that broke is the lower ball joint. From the pictures everything else looks pretty intact - I would maybe be worried about the CV Shaft (the part with boots that is pulled out) since it was pulled out by the end, I don't think they like that very much. Since the front differential lost some fluid, it would be a good time to drain the rest out and refill it as well.

Lower ball joint and differential fluid would be the bare minimum essentials I think.

As far as what else to check, I'll defer to some of the more experienced techs on here that spend way more time working on these than myself with a year and a half of ownership.

Hope that at least gets you started in the right direction!

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
answered in your other thread with all information

Lower ball joints
MOOG ones only that are greaseable
Not sure if that company has them or not, never deal with them
That is what happens when you don't check various suspension parts

Moog Part No: K80767
Suspension Ball Joint
2 needed

also check the CV and intermediate shaft very well
may need both
if you do NAPA remanned CV and new Crown intermediate shaft

couldn't sleep so looked this up for you to make it super simple
ROCKAUTO
MOOG K80767
Front Lower
$34.79 each

Anthonywiley

Reaction score
Update: got the jeep tire off and moved to flat part of the driveway. Also ordered parts. Should be here by Wednesday.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210326-184819_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20210326-184819_Samsung Internet.jpg
    606.6 KB · Views: 8

sleazy rider

Retired moto tech and gearhead
Reaction score
He may not have the tools or skills to do a ball joint swap and changing the a-arms is simple wrenches vs pressing in ball joints. Yeah, parts quality isn't good, but I understand why he went how he did.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
He may not have the tools or skills to do a ball joint swap and changing the a-arms is simple wrenches vs pressing in ball joints. Yeah, parts quality isn't good, but I understand why he went how he did.
The ball joint that broke was a lower, Ball joints press into the lower control arms
If you look he bought upper control arms which you can not change the ball joints in, well unless you have the JBA ones of course
so skills or tools has nothing to do with what happened to his and his replacement parts he is buying really

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would check out the bearings and seal in the diff also. The intermediate shaft couldve ruin those as it was yanked out.

I check my ball joints at every oil change.

sleazy rider

Retired moto tech and gearhead
Reaction score
The ball joint that broke was a lower, Ball joints press into the lower control arms
If you look he bought upper control arms which you can not change the ball joints in, well unless you have the JBA ones of course
so skills or tools has nothing to do with what happened to his and his replacement parts he is buying really

I do things like that too. If I’m going in, it’s all getting replaced as the age and wear is the same.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
I would check out the bearings and seal in the diff also. The intermediate shaft couldve ruin those as it was yanked out.

I check my ball joints at every oil change.

I do as well, tires rotated , check and grease all suspension parts, oil, filter etc every 3-4000 miles