Need HELP ASAP, NO START!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

2003jeepKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Daughter needs car this AM to get to Volleyball practice.

2003 Jeep 4x4 liberty. Will crank but NO start. No engine light on. No code when doing off/on test.

Prior to this, I had similar issue which turned out to be the coolant sensor.

Yesterday the engine light came on, went to Autozone for free test and they found a hard and soft code for vapor leak. I found the large hose to the air cleaner cracked on the top and at the other far end (there is a something that looks like a black pcv in the middle). I replaced the hose with a water heater hose that fit perfect, then I had the ideal to undo the battery cable to clear the engine light.

Drove the car that day and every now and then it took a while to start. There is NO engine light. Went back to Autozone and even tried O'Reillys both said no engine light , No code found.

Now the engine turns over but no start up. I do hear the fuel pump cycling.

Please advise!!!!! Desperate Dad.

ltd02

Comfortably numb
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Tough one to diagnose from a distance and with no codes. First things I'd think of are pretty obvious, spark or fuel. Maybe check fuses and relays like the ASD relay and the PCM connector for cleanliness and a tight connection. The ASD can be swapped with another equivalent relay from the fuse box. You said the fuel pump is whirring but is it building pressure? It should run briefly when you turn the key but don't start. If it keeps going it isn't building pressure. As for the previous issue with the coolant sensor, could it be defective?

Sorry, wish I could be of more help but it's always tough to diagnose that type of problem from a distance.

Maybe disconnect battery again and leave it off for an hour or so.

2003jeepKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for giving it a shot.

I was in O'Reillys today and a Lady came in over hearing my conversation and she said she had the exact problem and the Dealer replaced the crank sensor for $190.00

I picked up a Crank and Cam sensor, my 1st attempt was the crank and to make matters worse, I broke the sensor off at the block.

I tried for a few hours and it wouldn't budge, I soaked it with PB Baster, but it is too small of any area to do any work. I think I'll get it towed tomorrow.

ltd02

Comfortably numb
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks for giving it a shot.

I was in O'Reillys today and a Lady came in over hearing my conversation and she said she had the exact problem and the Dealer replaced the crank sensor for $190.00

I picked up a Crank and Cam sensor, my 1st attempt was the crank and to make matters worse, I broke the sensor off at the block.

I tried for a few hours and it wouldn't budge, I soaked it with PB Baster, but it is too small of any area to do any work. I think I'll get it towed tomorrow.

Bummer. They'd definitely both cause a no start but I thought either would throw a code. I guess if it was intermittently failing maybe it wouldn't.

Good luck and I'm sorry for your troubles. :(

belvedere

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry to hear of your troubles. Yes, the crank position sensor is a real possibility. Another possibility is low fuel pressure (weak pump).

CactusJacked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I guess it could have been worse, had the lady said a replacement engine took care of her problem. There are a number of reasons why an engine won't start, but throwing parts at it without diagnostics can get costly. Hopefully you, or a mechanic, can get it sorted out soon.

tom0826

Reaction score
Ever time I unhook the battery on my 02, I find that the ecu needs time to recalibrate the IAC valve which usually leaves me in a situation where I can crank the motor but wont fire (I think it actually does fire but IAC is closed and won't idle). When this happens I start it with about 1/4 throttle with the pedal. You may need to modulate the throttle for 5-10 seconds to keep it running but It usually does the trick to set the IAC.