Need Advice - 17" Snow Tires & TPMS

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MadDog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys-

I posted a thread on here a while back about buying a second set of the 17" wheels that came with the limited for use with snow/winter tires. I know most of you advised to switch to steel rims or 16's, but I just couldn't part with the look of the 17's year round, it really goes well with the nerf boards & other chrome stuff on the limited. So to make a long story short, I found a set of 17's in great condition on ebay and won the auction last night. Now to the real decision: which snow tires do I buy in the 17 size? Keep in mind, almost all of the driving I do is on-road in the NY & tri-state area and I would only use these tires for October through April. Looking on tirerack.com, I think I have narrowed it down to three main choices...

1) Bridgestone Blizzak $108/tire - I've read they are great in snow & ice, but wear down pretty quickly

2) Michelin Latitude X-Ice $119/tire

3) Pirelli Scorpion Ice & Snow $137/tire

All tires are in the 235-65/17 size. So which one would you recommend? If not in these three, which others?

I also have an additional question regarding TPMS. I'm relatively certain these new rims don't have any magnets or stems that come with them. My current setup (stock 17 wranglers w/ silver valve stems & caps) definitely has some form of TPMS, but I believe it is the basic setup where it only alerts you to low tire pressure. I can't view the individual tire pressures on the EVIC. What parts would I have to get in order to keep the EVIC happy? If I went with straight rubber valve stems during the mount & balance, how crazy will the EVIC go?

Any and all advice about both questions is much appreciated! :)

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
The EVIC and the TPMS light will go nuts because it can't sense the tire pressure sensors. I believe a "Service Tire Pressure Monitoring" error message will pop up, and it'll beep like crazy. (That's my experience with the modified Jeeps and other vehicles that I drive at work with TPMS.)

MadDog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I figured the EVIC would go crazy without having sensors in the wheels. Where would be the best place to get additional TPMS magnets for the 06 system? I'll need 4 since I am buying 4 new wheels. I'm also trying to avoid the stealerships on Long Island, they are pretty bad...

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
A little clarification... what you want are the sensors, not the magnets. They're not required. :) You're going to need 5 because it monitors the spare too.

Sometimes they pop up on eBay.

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
You just need to put sensors in the wheels. Make sure they are for an 06.

I can't help with your tire choices as I have no experience with them. I just run A/T's all year.

Dave

icarl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would personally go with Nokian winter tires as they are the best. But as far as the ones you mentioned the Blizzaks would be a safe bet. The Michelin X-ice were rated as the best passenger car tire, better than the Blizzaks. However the X-ice latitudes are not rated as well as the Blizzak counterparts but they would be ok I guess. I don't know much about the Pirelli's.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Take the sensors out of the current rims and put them in the new rims. Those things are $$ and you dont just buy new ones for the heck of it. They are around $60 a piece from the dealer if you cant find them on ebay.

If youre stock then you must get the 235/65/17 tires since the 245/65/17 tires will rub.

Last edited: