My spark plugs... ever changed?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jnaut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My service contract is about to wind down, and I'm ramping up to start all my own maintenance. I decided to take out one of my plugs, just to have a look-see, and now I'm wondering if they've ever been changed. Opinions? These look awfully corroded. I've got 72k (miles) on my Jeep.

You must be registered for see images attach

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's normal color but the gap looks really worn. Is it an NGK? NGK's were OEM.

When I pulled my #1 plug at 30,000 miles it looked like that with the gap worn. I just changed them. Looks like you need new ones anyway. They are not hard to change anyway. It will run much better. You will see.

Dave

Powerslave

Banned
Reaction score
I changed mine a few weeks ago, looked kind-a like that. I have just over 60K now, I used Bosch Platinum +2 plugs. I am going to change to E3 Diamond Fire in the near future. From what I was told, the OEM are copper, so if you go with just a regular Platinum Plug, you should be A-OK...

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
You actually waited that long to change the plugs? Mine came out at 16k in the WK (was bored that day and was itching to do something constructive) and 20k in the KJs. I've got Bosch Platinums in everything and haven't had any issues out of them. They're MUCH longer lasting than the factory NGKs. My sister has almost 50k on hers and they're barely worn!

Powerslave

Banned
Reaction score
I bought it from the dealer with 58K on it, and well, when you buy a used vehicle you have to assume NOTHING was done on it, that's just what I was taught. So, I immediately changed the air filter (later made a custom intake), oil (Synthetic), topped off the differentials (Royal Purple Syn). Then about about three months later changed the Xfercase fluid (+4/+3 Mix), and recently did the spark-plugs (Bosch +2). I am on my 5th payment...

Platinum plugs are supposed to at least last 60K or more miles (if your car comes with type, the change interval is listed at 60K), and tests indicate they can fo 100K without changing. Iridium plugs, you can practically leave them in for as long as the motor runs.

Though, I know some people who have left copper plugs in forever, and well, it runs...

kj924

Administrator
Reaction score
My service contract is about to wind down, and I'm ramping up to start all my own maintenance. I decided to take out one of my plugs, just to have a look-see, and now I'm wondering if they've ever been changed. Opinions? These look awfully corroded. I've got 72k (miles) on my Jeep.

You must be registered for see images attach

Those babies are toast! File those in the big can and get some new ones.

jnaut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Those babies are toast! File those in the big can and get some new ones.

Oh, no doubt about it. I'm just trying to figure out of my dealer ever changed them. I haven't looked at the service schedule, but I'm pretty sure a spark plug change was in there somewhere.

I'ma pickin' up some Bosch Platinum's today. Probably put 'em in some time this week.

Idaho08KK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Personally, I would recommend against using Bosch platinum plugs in a Jeep. I can't even begin to tell you how many Chrysler, Dodge, and Jeeps that have come in the shop with misfire DTCs, and equipped with Bosch plugs. They run really rough. We replace them with OEM NGK or Champion plugs, the misfire goes away, and the customer is PO'd that they spent $8-$10 a piece for Bosch platinums that go right in the trash.

jnaut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Personally, I would recommend against using Bosch platinum plugs in a Jeep. I can't even begin to tell you how many Chrysler, Dodge, and Jeeps that have come in the shop with misfire DTCs, and equipped with Bosch plugs. They run really rough. We replace them with OEM NGK or Champion plugs, the misfire goes away, and the customer is PO'd that they spent $8-$10 a piece for Bosch platinums that go right in the trash.

Which Bosch platinums? The basic platinums come highly recommended from other members here, and I just priced the basics at Schucks for $2.99 a piece. The high end Bosch Platinum +2, +4 and Iridiums don't come so highly recommended on this board. Those Iridiums are priced at $7.99.

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score

I've put these plugs in 3 different Jeeps... mind you they've all been equipped with the 3.7L. NONE of them have had issues for thousands upon thousands of miles.

Now I DO KNOW that there are SOME Chrysler engines (namely the 4.7L!!!) that REQUIRE regular copper plugs. In THAT case I wouldn't even think of throwing them in there.

sleeve

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't know what engine that we are talking about but the KJ seems to respond well to almost any brand of spark plug. I personally ran the NGK Iridium's in my KJ for 2 years without incident or cause for concern. The iridiums were put in July 2007 and pulled out June 2009 after 30,000 miles. Because I live in the Detroit area I don't rack up the mileage but sitting in traffic for 2 years is just as bad as anything for the Jeep.

[p.s] the Iridum's were perfectly fine when they were pulled out and The Jeep was still running fine but man I was bored and wanted to do some work on the KJ.

Currently running some Autolight Double Platinum's... Again - no issues what so ever with them. The Autolites are my 4th set of plugs. 2 stock sets of NKG coppers, 1 NGK Iridium and now the A/L plat's. But then again - this is just me and my experience talking.

jnaut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've put these plugs in 3 different Jeeps... mind you they've all been equipped with the 3.7L. NONE of them have had issues for thousands upon thousands of miles.

Now I DO KNOW that there are SOME Chrysler engines (namely the 4.7L!!!) that REQUIRE regular copper plugs. In THAT case I wouldn't even think of throwing them in there.

Just for my edification, why would any engine require copper plugs?

Powerslave

Banned
Reaction score
Just for my edification, why would any engine require copper plugs?

They do not REQUIRE them, but will run fine with them. To cut costs, every so small (S.M.ALL), Chrysler used copper plugs instead of Platinums in our Jeeps. My former Avenger and Cirrus came with Platinums, my Vibe has platinums... This was also the reason, cost cutting, there is no weather stripping on the windshield or other windows besides the moon-roof.

Idaho08KK said:

I also have always used Platinum plugs, and I also have +2 Bosch in my jeep now, and it actually idles smoother, not rougher. Also, a lot of DODGE/Chyrlser vehicles have Mitsubishi motors (since 1984 that I have seen), and ALREADY HAVE platinum plugs, so you must be speaking ONLY Dodge/Chrysler with Chrysler motors, right? You did not get a Dodge Charger or Avenger in there with Platinums, then replace with Copper and the problem went away, because they COME with Platinum plugs. So, you would be saying, as we all know anyway, Chryler motors suck... Yep, Any 2.7, and just about any Chrysler motor that was not a 3.3 or better, or Straight or Slant 6... All their small <= 3.0 V6 motors BLOW... Every Chrysler product that has a Mitsubishi motor has run circles around the Chyrsler engined counter-part.

I know, I have seen it first hand with Family, we are all Mopar Men...

Last edited:

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
This was also the reason, cost cutting, there is no weather stripping on the windshield or other windows besides the moon-roof.

Not to go off topic, my 05 has weather stripping on the windshield....:confused::)

jnaut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just picked up a set of six Bosch Platinum Plus for $2.99 per. I'm all tingly.

Luke

Interloper
Reaction score
[p.s] the Iridum's were perfectly fine when they were pulled out and The Jeep was still running fine but man I was bored and wanted to do some work on the KJ.

Good to know I have had Iridiums in my KJ for about 15K, she runs great now, the difference when I changed them was staggering!

Idaho08KK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I also have always used Platinum plugs, and I also have +2 Bosch in my jeep now, and it actually idles smoother, not rougher. Also, a lot of DODGE/Cyrlser motors have Mitsubishi motors (since 1984 that I have seen), and ALREADY HAVE platinum plugs, so you must be speaking ONLY Dodge/Chrysler with Chrysler motors, right? You did not get a Dodge Charger or Avenger in there with Platinums, then replace with Copper and the problem went away, because they COME with Platinum plugs. So, you would be saying, as we all know anyway, Chryler motors suck... Yep, Any 2.7, and just about any Chrysler motor that was not a 3.3 or better, or Straight or Slant 6... All their small <= 3.0 V6 motors BLOW... Every Chrysler product that has a Mitsubishi motor has run circles around the Chyrsler engined counter-part.

I know, I have seen it first hand with Family, we are all Mopar Men...

I'm not saying just platinum plugs in general. I know that several Chrysler motors come with OEM platinum plugs installed. I'm talking specifically about Bosch platinum plugs. These are the only platinum plugs that we consistently see problems with. It is a well known fact among Chrysler technicians that Bosch plugs do not work well with Chrysler products.
Mopar OEM platinum plugs are used in only a handful of current production motors- 2.7L, 3.3L, 3.5L, and 3.8L.
Copper plugs are used in- 1.8L, 2.0L, 2.4L World engines, 3.7L, 4.7L, 5.7L, 6.1L, and 8.3L.

Powerslave

Banned
Reaction score
I'm not saying just platinum plugs in general. I know that several Chrysler motors come with OEM platinum plugs installed. I'm talking specifically about Bosch platinum plugs. These are the only platinum plugs that we consistently see problems with. It is a well known fact among Chrysler technicians that Bosch plugs do not work well with Chrysler products.
Mopar OEM platinum plugs are used in only a handful of current production motors- 2.7L, 3.3L, 3.5L, and 3.8L.
Copper plugs are used in- 1.8L, 2.0L, 2.4L World engines, 3.7L, 4.7L, 5.7L, 6.1L, and 8.3L.

Mitsubishi is not Chrysler though... V6 engines like the Mitsubishi 2.5 (95-00), 3.0, and 3.5 in the Avengers, Sebring & Cirrus (non convertibles), Some of the Minivans, and Chargers. Chrysler motors, perhaps, but not for me, or my brother (Had a 318, used Bosch, just fine). I have had other Chrysler motors, used Bosch +2 plugs, no problems. Also, the Stealth motors, no problems. Must be timing issues, because the spark is better than with a copper plug.

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
Mitsubishi is not Chrysler though... V6 engines like the Mitsubishi 2.5 (95-00), 3.0, and 3.5 in the Avengers, Sebring & Cirrus (non convertibles), Some of the Minivans, and Chargers. Chrysler motors, perhaps, but not for me, or my brother (Had a 318, used Bosch, just fine). I have had other Chrysler motors, used Bosch +2 plugs, no problems. Also, the Stealth motors, no problems. Must be timing issues, because the spark is better than with a copper plug.
Whoa Whoa Whoa... lets stop here.

OK the 2.5L was a Mitsubishi V6.
So was the 3.0L

But the 3.5L is ALL CHRYSLER.

The 2.7L (was) garbage prior to 2002 or so.

Again, the only "Jeep" engines that I know of that does not like platinum plugs are the 4.7L and 5.7L. That's it.

The only Mitsubishi engines that Chrysler has (recently) used in their own vehicles (not counting the captive imports) were the 2.6L Hemi 4 ******, The 3.0L V6 and 2.5L V6. There was one other engine, but it wasn't Mitsubishi... the VW 1.7L but that's going wayyyyyyyyy back. lol3.gif

EDIT: And by the way. The 6.1L comes with double platinum plugs... and the 8.3L isn't a production engine currently (at least for a car...)

Last edited: