My new tires rub when turning

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kjpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK, I got brave. I got 245/70 r17 BFG long trails. They are about 29.5" & they rub on that ridge in the wheel well when turning hard. I have no lift at all, except the ~1" from the tires O:) , so that is why they rub.

I have 3 ideas on how to solve this. The first is don't turn hard, but my wife is the primary daily driver, & she WILL NOT listen to ANY driving tip from me, and she turns hard all the freakin' time. (banghead) So on to 2 & 3.

I'm thinking a .5" - .75" clevis lift. I'm not ready to do a full kit yet. so this will get me by for now. And I was thinking about trimming that ridge down.

So My question is how much can that ridge be trimmed down without causing damage to whatever the ridge is there for? Also, what is the max clevis lift that is safe? I've heard that you need to leave the strut at least 1/3 the way down in the clevis, but what does that mean in inches (or millimeters)?

Corwyyn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The molded section covers the front of the pinch weld. Here's a decent article on dealing with the problem. Bottom line is, you can remove the plastic section and take a hammer, file, grinder or whatever to the pinch weld. Good luck if you decide to do the clevis lift.

kjpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Corwyyn said:
Good luck if you decide to do the clevis lift.

Thanks for the Info on the weld. But, is that "good luck" like, good luck (cool), or good luck :-s , or good luck screwy.gif ?

Is it not a good plan, or what? Seems to be popular over at LOST.

Corwyyn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's a good luck (cool)

If you do it, probably the easiest way is to go to Home Depot/Lowes/local hardware store and get some 2" conduit nuts for spacers, that way you don't have to work to get things even - just throw a couple on each side and clamp it down!

Theres more detailed info over on L.O.S.T. if you haven't found it already.

liberator

Full Access Member
Reaction score
rub

How bad is the rubbing? Do you notice slight rubbing only or is the scraping very loud and unsettling?

I rub at full lock w/ Rubicon 16 x 8" wheels particularly in reverse and think mine are 29.5" too but if you examine the contact point, it is not bad ie. minor rub on the plastic.

liberator

Full Access Member
Reaction score
rub

How bad is the rubbing? Do you notice slight rubbing only or is the scraping very loud and unsettling?

I rub at full lock w/ Rubicon 16 x 8" wheels particularly in reverse and think mine are 29.5" too but if you examine the contact point, it is not bad ie. minor rub on the plastic.

kjpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
KJ02Ltd said:
Not sure if it was a typo or not, but the 245/70-17 is 30.5"... not 29.5".

I got the 29.5 by using a yard stick & measuring, but I later found a tire size calculator that says 30.5". So we are both correct O:)

Liberator

It is only at full lock. But my wife thinks the world is coming to an end every time she hears it! :-s

thecause17

Full Access Member
Reaction score
KJ02Ltd said:
Not sure if it was a typo or not, but the 245/70-17 is 30.5"... not 29.5".

Yeah I put that size into a tire calculator and got 30.5 also.

Look at this chart.

tiresize.jpg

The eqivalent largest size without rubbing for you would've been 245/65/17 which is the size I'm upgrading to when I need tires. The size you used is eqivalent to the 245/75/16 on that chart, which is stated earlier is about 30.5 requring a 1.5" lift.

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
wow. 245/70 r17

i was hesitant to get 245/65 17s because of the rubbing you went with 70s. rubbing on sidewalls and the base.. you got brave all right.

I think it depends on how bad the rubbing is.. if it scrapes off the tire, I guess it is dangerous.

MoladoGuy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Maybe the scrapping will die down as you thin out the fender. Then again it might be wise to use a heat gun on the fender and try and push the fender in some. The pinch weld is a necessity and can be done really easy. Just grab a razor blade, 2-3lb sledge, and some flat rubber enamel. Cut plastic from pinch weld, smash down, cover with rust resistent/rubber enamel black.

Good luck. Got any pics of what the Jeep looks with that tire/wheel combo?

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
MoladoGuy said:
Maybe the scrapping will die down as you thin out the fender. Then again it might be wise to use a heat gun on the fender and try and push the fender in some. The pinch weld is a necessity and can be done really easy. Just grab a razor blade, 2-3lb sledge, and some flat rubber enamel. Cut plastic from pinch weld, smash down, cover with rust resistent/rubber enamel black.

Good luck. Got any pics of what the Jeep looks with that tire/wheel combo?

Why couldn't DC do that for us in the beginning!! I guess then we would try to get even bigger tires and try to fit it in there, and complain again that it was too tight!! ](*,)

I would like to see the tires/wheel as well.

kjpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'll try to get some pics up today. I love the tires. They only rub enough to make noise, & only at full lock turns. The rubbing has no effect on the steering itself, & doesn't come near the suspension. I find it very surprising that the info available says I'd need 1.5" lift. True tire size does vary between manufacturers. Like I said the yard stick says 29.5" (front to back diameter) That is under load, but I'd think being under load would distort toward a larger measurement as the air displaces away from the contact patch.

I'm starting to be inspired by all the things I'm discovering about the supposed limitations of the KJ. I think I'm about to become a suspension engineer.
4" with 33"s or bust! icon996.gif icon996.gif (or it maybe more like (Alcy) )

thecause17

Full Access Member
Reaction score
kjpilot said:
I'm starting to be inspired by all the things I'm discovering about the supposed limitations of the KJ. I think I'm about to become a suspension engineer.
4" with 33"s or bust! icon996.gif icon996.gif (or it maybe more like (Alcy) )

Try taking it offroad and flex the suspension a little before you get any more brave and write off limitations. I'd be willing to say you may see more rubbing at that point.

kjpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well before I become a suspension engineer, I have to become more observant ](*,). The rub isn't the pinch weld, it is the front inside fender liner. It is not doing any harm, but makes a squeel noise. I'm thinking of taking the liner out & applying a protective membrane, like pick-up truck bed liner. Sound reasonable?

I'm trying to figure out how to post pictures. The forum for my other car does all the hosting & it's real simple. If anyone has suggestions, send me a personal message. (Aeh)

kjpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thecause17 said:
Try taking it offroad and flex the suspension a little before you get any more brave and write off limitations. I'd be willing to say you may see more rubbing at that point.

It will be a process. Not planning to jump in over my head immediately. I'm thinking I'll start with the Rusty's coil lift & push slowly from there. There are some reasons why I think 4" will be do-able soon, but I want to do more research before presenting any half-baked ideas. (Alcy)

Members online

No members online now.